Old 15-11-2007, 08:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Naturalizing Bulbs in grassy area

We live in an area where our back garden backs directly onto a natural
forested area, without any fences or obstacles between our garden and the
natural parkland. Part of the garden includes a grassed area measuring
about 6x8 meters. The grassed area has not been well looked after by
previous owners and hence has some weed and poorly growing grass. I have
recently aerated and fertilized and am continuing to rid the grass of
weeds and to reseed the weed holes, so I hope to have it back to a
reasonable patch of grass by next spring/summer. The natural parkland does
have some weeds in it as well.

It is our idea to naturalize this grassy area with spring bulbs which we
have from previous garden changes (including snowdrops, bluebells, crocus,
grape hyacinth). I am aware that the area cannot then be mowed until the
latest bulbs have flowered and 6 weeks after that. Our concern is that
with the nearby "weed seed" generator of the natural parkland nearby, that
it might be difficult to maintain a nice naturalized grassy bulb meadow as
we envision due to the influx of weeds (which will be difficult to weed
out when all the bulbs are growing.

Anyone out there who has had any experience naturalizing with bulbs a
grassy area where weeds could be a problem please let me know your
experiences and suggestions. Thanks!

Larry
Old 15-11-2007, 11:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/11/07 19:56, in article op.t1um0lziaiss39@localhost, "Larry Gagnon"
wrote:

[...]

I have no experience of this but I'm left wondering if what you worry might
be 'weedy' would be what other people would plant as a wild flower meadow,
spending money on special seed to do so! In your shoes, I think I'd be
inclined to just let it do its own thing and simply mow paths through it to
areas where you can put a seat and table, for example. IOW, turn it to your
advantage and make a special feature of it rather than struggle with it. To
me, this would be much more interesting than a lawn that just never really
made it as a lawn because of the competition. Would that work for you?

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 16-11-2007, 09:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

If you mow it between June and Nov you have a chance of developing a Spring
wildflower meadow. Regular mowing after June should kill the rank weeds.
Davy

newsp.t1um0lziaiss39@localhost...

Old 16-11-2007, 10:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 15, 7:56 pm, "Larry Gagnon" wrote:
We live in an area where our back garden backs directly onto a natural
forested area, without any fences or obstacles between our garden and the
natural parkland. Part of the garden includes a grassed area measuring
about 6x8 meters. The grassed area has not been well looked after by
previous owners and hence has some weed and poorly growing grass. I have
recently aerated and fertilized and am continuing to rid the grass of
weeds and to reseed the weed holes, so I hope to have it back to a
reasonable patch of grass by next spring/summer. The natural parkland does
have some weeds in it as well.

Its too late now, but the fastest way to reclaim a badly looked after
lawn is a couple of doses of a broadleaf specific weedkiller in
midsummer. Then when most of the weeds are dead rake it over reseed
top dress lightly and let it go.

It is our idea to naturalize this grassy area with spring bulbs which we
have from previous garden changes (including snowdrops, bluebells, crocus,
grape hyacinth). I am aware that the area cannot then be mowed until the
latest bulbs have flowered and 6 weeks after that. Our concern is that

Bulbs have a head start on everything else in spring. If you get it
right most weed seedlings will struggle to see the light once the
bulbs have established. Old established or invasive weeds like ground
elder can be a nuisance though.

with the nearby "weed seed" generator of the natural parkland nearby, that
it might be difficult to maintain a nice naturalized grassy bulb meadow as
we envision due to the influx of weeds (which will be difficult to weed
out when all the bulbs are growing.

The odd strim of really prolific weeds before they set seed might be
worth it. I don't bother except for right up against the edge of my
property. Worth talking to whoever owns the adjoining land to see if
they mind you nuking dandelions and thistles on the perimeter as a DMZ
(I'd leave stands of nettles - I like the butterflies they bring).
Same with architectural woodland weeds like teasel, and woodland
flowers like foxglove - I leave them be.

Anyone out there who has had any experience naturalizing with bulbs a
grassy area where weeds could be a problem please let me know your
experiences and suggestions. Thanks!

Depends how many hefty perennial weed roots are still under the lawn.
New seedlings can be carefully spot weeded out even when the bulbs are
there. And some of the nicer wildflowers are worth leaving in. I don't
bother killing the odd daisy and I deliberately let bellis, violets,
cyclamen and a few other low growing plants naturalise if they want to
(by cutting with the lawnmower set very high). Introducing seeds from
any nice local wildflowers also worthwhile.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Adding dirt to grassy area around pavers? Airkings Gardening 6 03-10-2005 04:18 AM
Naturalizing Orchids... Toni Orchids 13 24-04-2005 01:58 AM
Blue-green grassy type stuff in lawn Ian Cundell United Kingdom 0 16-11-2003 06:23 PM
naturalizing newbie in east hampton new york ninadora Gardening 2 20-10-2003 12:32 PM
grassy tomatos Thaedeus Zefuldar Gardening 1 19-02-2003 10:27 PM