Old 16-11-2007, 10:47 PM
Registered User

Thumbs up Can anyone ID a black shiney insect?

I am hoping that someone will recognise this strange insect and put my mind at rest.
Black, shiney, 3 segment, legs(?how many), 1/2-2inches long, curled pointed/pincer tail.
Seen running at a fair pace across our tarmac drive towards the lawn.
Could it be a scorpian? That is the only thing I've ever seen that I can liken it to.
Thanks for any help
Amanda
Old 17-11-2007, 10:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Can anyone ID a black shiney insect?

In article ,
amandah writes:

| I am hoping that someone will recognise this strange insect and put my
| mind at rest.
| Black, shiney, 3 segment, legs(?how many), 1/2-2inches long, curled
| pointed/pincer tail.
| Seen running at a fair pace across our tarmac drive towards the lawn.
| Could it be a scorpian? That is the only thing I've ever seen that I
| can liken it to.

There are several other arachnids that look very similar - none, as
far as I know, live in the UK. A scorpion is very different from a
beetle once you have seen one. Forget the pincers and number of legs
and look at the tail. A scorpion's is THIN, as long as its body,
with a very distinct bulge at the end for the poison sac.

And don't worry, even if it is - most scorpions aren't dangerous
to humans (or no more than wasps are).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 17-11-2007, 11:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 17, 8:55 am, Charlie Pridham
wrote:
In article ,
says...

--
amandah

There are scorpions in the uk but it sounds rather like a "Devils
Coachman" try googling images of both things and see which it most
resembled

That is what it is (Devil's Coach Horse Beetle or Coachman); family
Staphylinidae.

--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwallwww.roselandhouse.co.uk
Lapageria rosea- Hide quoted text -

Old 17-11-2007, 01:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

In article ,
amandah writes:

| I am hoping that someone will recognise this strange insect and put my
| mind at rest.
| Black, shiney, 3 segment, legs(?how many), 1/2-2inches long, curled
| pointed/pincer tail.
| Seen running at a fair pace across our tarmac drive towards the lawn.
| Could it be a scorpian? That is the only thing I've ever seen that I
| can liken it to.

There are several other arachnids that look very similar - none, as
far as I know, live in the UK. A scorpion is very different from a
beetle once you have seen one. Forget the pincers and number of legs
and look at the tail. A scorpion's is THIN, as long as its body,
with a very distinct bulge at the end for the poison sac.

And don't worry, even if it is - most scorpions aren't dangerous
to humans (or no more than wasps are).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

The mederterrainian scorpion is naturlised in the uk and has been for the
last 200 years but is only found in the docklands area of London and is
not considered dangerous

Old 17-11-2007, 06:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
T...
The mederterrainian scorpion is naturlised in the uk and has been for the
last 200 years but is only found in the docklands area of London and is
not considered dangerous
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Lapageria rosea

Google suggests other UK ports have them as well.

Old 17-11-2007, 07:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote

| I am hoping that someone will recognise this strange insect and put my
| mind at rest.
| Black, shiney, 3 segment, legs(?how many), 1/2-2inches long, curled
| pointed/pincer tail.
| Seen running at a fair pace across our tarmac drive towards the lawn.
| Could it be a scorpian? That is the only thing I've ever seen that I
| can liken it to.

There are several other arachnids that look very similar - none, as
far as I know, live in the UK. A scorpion is very different from a
beetle once you have seen one. Forget the pincers and number of legs
and look at the tail. A scorpion's is THIN, as long as its body,
with a very distinct bulge at the end for the poison sac.

And don't worry, even if it is - most scorpions aren't dangerous
to humans (or no more than wasps are).

The mederterrainian scorpion is naturlised in the uk and has been for the
last 200 years but is only found in the docklands area of London and is
not considered dangerous

And parts of the Underground.

--
Regards