Old 18-11-2007, 12:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bee Boles

I'm involved with the International Bee Research Association's collection of
records of bee boles, concentrating on my own area primarily.

www.ibra.org.uk/beeboles

It occurred to me that some of you might have boles which haven't been
recorded. If so, do contact IBRA directly or ask me for more information.

Please :-)

Mary

Old 18-11-2007, 01:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...
I'm involved with the International Bee Research Association's collection
of records of bee boles, concentrating on my own area primarily.

www.ibra.org.uk/beeboles

It occurred to me that some of you might have boles which haven't been
recorded. If so, do contact IBRA directly or ask me for more information.

Please :-)

Well I don't have any in my present house but have lived in a house with
them in the dim distant past and until now had no idea what they were
although I had asked a few people who were similarly as ignorant as I.

--
Chris
Ignoti nulla cupido

Old 18-11-2007, 01:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
I'm involved with the International Bee Research Association's collection of
records of bee boles, concentrating on my own area primarily.

www.ibra.org.uk/beeboles

It occurred to me that some of you might have boles which haven't been
recorded. If so, do contact IBRA directly or ask me for more information.

Please :-)

Mary

3 places I know there are some which do not appear on that list, Heligon,
Trengwainton and Tregrehane
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 18-11-2007, 02:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Cerumen" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...
I'm involved with the International Bee Research Association's collection
of records of bee boles, concentrating on my own area primarily.

www.ibra.org.uk/beeboles

It occurred to me that some of you might have boles which haven't been
recorded. If so, do contact IBRA directly or ask me for more information.

Please :-)

Well I don't have any in my present house but have lived in a house with
them in the dim distant past and until now had no idea what they were
although I had asked a few people who were similarly as ignorant as I.

Do you know if they were recorded?

Mary

--
Chris
Ignoti nulla cupido

Old 18-11-2007, 02:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
T...
In article ,
says...
I'm involved with the International Bee Research Association's collection
of
records of bee boles, concentrating on my own area primarily.

www.ibra.org.uk/beeboles

It occurred to me that some of you might have boles which haven't been
recorded. If so, do contact IBRA directly or ask me for more information.

Please :-)

Mary

3 places I know there are some which do not appear on that list, Heligon,
Trengwainton and Tregrehane

If you haven't already, can I pass on this information (with your addy) to
IBRA?

Mary

Old 18-11-2007, 03:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Cerumen" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...
I'm involved with the International Bee Research Association's
collection of records of bee boles, concentrating on my own area
primarily.

www.ibra.org.uk/beeboles

It occurred to me that some of you might have boles which haven't been
recorded. If so, do contact IBRA directly or ask me for more
information.

Please :-)

Well I don't have any in my present house but have lived in a house with
them in the dim distant past and until now had no idea what they were
although I had asked a few people who were similarly as ignorant as I.

Do you know if they were recorded?

I do now as I looked on the web site and they are indeed recorded.

--
Chris
Ignoti nulla cupido

Old 18-11-2007, 04:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
T...
In article ,
says...
I'm involved with the International Bee Research Association's collection
of
records of bee boles, concentrating on my own area primarily.

www.ibra.org.uk/beeboles

It occurred to me that some of you might have boles which haven't been
recorded. If so, do contact IBRA directly or ask me for more information.

Please :-)

Mary

3 places I know there are some which do not appear on that list, Heligon,
Trengwainton and Tregrehane

If you haven't already, can I pass on this information (with your addy) to
IBRA?

Mary

Yes, check the spelling of the garden names though!

Old 18-11-2007, 10:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...
I'm involved with the International Bee Research Association's collection
of records of bee boles, concentrating on my own area primarily.

www.ibra.org.uk/beeboles

It occurred to me that some of you might have boles which haven't been
recorded. If so, do contact IBRA directly or ask me for more information.

Please :-)

Mary

My neighbour has a beehive-shaped ice house built about 1850 beneath her
garden. It is accessed via a long tunnel and, after descending into it
about half way, you pass a square recess in the stone wall. I recall her
telling me that she discovered it was used to store a beehive in the winter,
since the temperature is fairly constant. Is this the sort of thing you
mean?

someone

Old 19-11-2007, 07:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"someone" writes:

| My neighbour has a beehive-shaped ice house built about 1850 beneath her
| garden. It is accessed via a long tunnel and, after descending into it
| about half way, you pass a square recess in the stone wall. I recall her
| telling me that she discovered it was used to store a beehive in the winter,
| since the temperature is fairly constant. Is this the sort of thing you
| mean?

Now, I have never heard of THAT before!

As I understand it, normal bee boles were in a wall - usually a warm
wall, either south facing or part of a building.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 19-11-2007, 09:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"someone" wrote in message

My neighbour has a beehive-shaped ice house built about 1850 beneath her
garden. It is accessed via a long tunnel and, after descending into it
about half way, you pass a square recess in the stone wall. I recall her
telling me that she discovered it was used to store a beehive in the
winter, since the temperature is fairly constant. Is this the sort of
thing you mean?

No, an ice house is used for making and storing ice.

But in the past in Britain (and even now in some parts of the world, such as
Canada) beehives were stored in cellars - i.e. in a frost free but dry and
dark - place so an ice house could have been used for storing hives during
winter if it weren't being used for storing ice too. It would be unusual to
have a single recess in such a place for storing a hive. It would more
likely to be used for a light of some kind or tools, overshoes, anything
which might be needed in such a situation. The domed shape is common for ice
houses and of course the domed roof would make it very strong.

A bee bole is usually built into a garden or house wall, some walls have
been built purely to accommodate boles. If you go to the link you'll see
very many examples.

Boles are unsuitable for modern wooden hives, they were used for straw
skeps.

www.ibra.org.uk/beeboles

Mary

Old 19-11-2007, 03:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"someone" wrote in message

[...]

This morning, someone asked, via a radio program, whether he could keep bees
in the city. The Bylaw Officer said that they are classed as livestock and
therefore forbidden. I used to and a friend does still. The only one that
complained was frightened by the bees drinking the seepage on her hot-tub!
A jar of honey cured that!

I supposed if one called them pets, and named each one Eric, one could get
around the by-law{;-)
Graham

Old 19-11-2007, 04:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"graham" wrote in message

This morning, someone asked, via a radio program, whether he could keep
bees in the city. The Bylaw Officer said that they are classed as
livestock and therefore forbidden. I used to and a friend does still.
The only one that complained was frightened by the bees drinking the
seepage on her hot-tub! A jar of honey cured that!

I supposed if one called them pets, and named each one Eric, one could get
around the by-law{;-)

To be accurate you'd have to call (most of them) Ethel. All the workers are
females, there are very few males (drones) and the queen isn't one. As you
must know .

You must also know that Eric was 'alf a bee ... :-)

I'm sorry you can't legally keep bees on your property, everyone's losing
out!

Mary

Old 19-11-2007, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Mary Fisher" writes:
| "graham" wrote in message
|
| I supposed if one called them pets, and named each one Eric, one could get
| around the by-law{;-)
|
| To be accurate you'd have to call (most of them) Ethel. All the workers are
| females, there are very few males (drones) and the queen isn't one. As you
| must know .

The workers are more like freemartins than functional females, though.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 19-11-2007, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"graham" wrote in message

This morning, someone asked, via a radio program, whether he could keep
bees in the city. The Bylaw Officer said that they are classed as
livestock and therefore forbidden. I used to and a friend does still.
The only one that complained was frightened by the bees drinking the
seepage on her hot-tub! A jar of honey cured that!

I supposed if one called them pets, and named each one Eric, one could
get around the by-law{;-)

To be accurate you'd have to call (most of them) Ethel. All the workers
are females, there are very few males (drones) and the queen isn't one. As
you must know .

You must also know that Eric was 'alf a bee ... :-)

I'm sorry you can't legally keep bees on your property, everyone's losing
out!

During the summer, they used to kept on a farm on the outskirts of the city.
Those fields are now covered with houses. They were overwintered, wrapped
in insulation, in the back garden. There was a warm spell in late Oct one
year and the best hive (250lb yield) died from overheating.
Graham