Old 26-11-2007, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default lavenders

"David in Normandy" wrote in message

.. At least they put their name on the envelope so you
can chuck it straight into the bin without having to open
it.
--
David in Normandy

Funny you should say that. In my Black Recycle Box at this very moment is
ANOTHER catalogue from those 'Health Pill' merchants from Jersy or Gurnsey
whichever one it is which came this morning :-((

Mike

Junk Mail don't you just love it :-((

--
www.rnshipmates.co.uk for ALL Royal Navy Association matters
"Navy Days" Portsmouth 25th - 27th July 2008. RN Shipmates will be there.

Old 26-11-2007, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...

Yes, it's one of my 'must do after Christmas' things. I'm going to email
or
ring every single company I deal with and ask them not to send me
catalogues. I have all their details online and bookmarked so it really
is
a terrible waste.

--
Sacha

and if it works?

PIGS WILL FLY

Kindest regards

Mike

Old 26-11-2007, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , 'Mike' says...
Junk Mail don't you just love it :-((

Once a week the postman delivers a big pile of (none-
addressed) leaflets and catalogues. It seems to be common
practice here in France. It comes in quite handy as we have
a wood burning stove, and since we don't take any
newspapers the leaflets all get used for lighting the fire.

Kind of so many organisations to send us free paper to
light our fire :-)
--
David in Normandy
Old 26-11-2007, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
In article , 'Mike' says...
Junk Mail don't you just love it :-((

Once a week the postman delivers a big pile of (none-
addressed) leaflets and catalogues. It seems to be common
practice here in France. It comes in quite handy as we have
a wood burning stove, and since we don't take any
newspapers the leaflets all get used for lighting the fire.

Kind of so many organisations to send us free paper to
light our fire :-)
--
David in Normandy

"""Every cloud has a Silver Lining"""
"""Never look a Gift Horse in the mouth"""
"""Carpe Diem"" (Which might just be over the heads of some readers, so
"Seize the Day", "Seize your opportunity" my old school motto)

Kindest regards

Mike

Old 26-11-2007, 06:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/11/07 17:13, in article ,
"VivienB" wrote:

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 08:34:48 -0000, Charlie Pridham
wrote:

I am told (by someone in their employ) that the plants are ordered for a
show like Chelsea and are delivered for them to the show, they never even
visit cornwall, they justify this by claiming they are from "partener
nurseries" It gets worse, plants people order from them at the show are
not owned by the nursery but are sourced after and delivered direct from
the grower without ever visiting cornwall. I would not say the majority
do it, most are indeed proud of their plants but the fact that at least
one does (with the knowledge of the RHS apparently) means I have never
wanted to go.

This might explain why a nursery in Cornwall, which used to be
recommended often in magazines and broadsheet gardening pages for its
mail-order plants, was such a tatty-looking disappointment when I
visited it some years ago.

One in particular did so many shows that on visiting the actual nursery, we
did feel that attention to nursery business itself was spread too thinly.
But that was some years ago.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 26-11-2007, 10:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David in Normandy" wrote in message

It's worse than those awful Readers Digest type letters
where they include lots of extra crap and a little key etc
etc. At least they put their name on the envelope so you
can chuck it straight into the bin without having to open
it.

I haven't had a RD mailing for years!

But I get 'Health' catalogues almost daily :-)

Mary

Old 27-11-2007, 11:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
In article , 'Mike' says...
Junk Mail don't you just love it :-((

Once a week the postman delivers a big pile of (none-
addressed) leaflets and catalogues. It seems to be common
practice here in France. It comes in quite handy as we have
a wood burning stove, and since we don't take any
newspapers the leaflets all get used for lighting the fire.

Kind of so many organisations to send us free paper to
light our fire :-)

We shred ours, it makes good compost, I smile though that I personally
get on average 3 offers of car insurance per day, strange really as I
have never held a driving licence or owned a vehicle! Just think how much
cheaper car insurance could be without the pointless waste, never mind
the stationary, the cost of postage alone must be enormous, I worked it
out a few years ago and to me alone it was over £300 per year, admittidly
not all from the same firm.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Something I have been tempted do for years and years and years but never
done it, is to stack up all the junk mail we get through the letter box and
see just how high the pile is at the end of the year. January 1st to
December 31st :-))

Anyone with room to do it?

Mike

Old 27-11-2007, 12:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
In article ,
says...
In article , 'Mike' says...
[...]

Todays post brings 2 car insurance offers from Norwich union two from
Privilege and one from Sheilas wheels! total 5, not a record but a good
day for the compost heap!
Old 27-11-2007, 01:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article MPG.21b60d5be5291d01989708
@News.Individual.NET, Charlie Pridham says...
In article ,
says...
In article ,
says...
In article , 'Mike' says...
[...]

I would not be surprised that you are being targeted for
car insurance because your address is possibly flagged up
on a database as not having any car insurance currently
associated with it - so therefore you must need some!

A few years ago I did some IT work for a large UK company
that collated and processed data from numerous sources. It
is absolutely incredible the amount of information known
about both individuals and addresses. This is frequently
used for both highly targeted mailing campaigns right down
to companies deciding where to build shopping centres, open
a McDonalds etc etc. At the time I left they were creating
a monster sized database that collated everything ever
bought where they could be identified as the purchaser via
their credit card number or loyalty card. These companies
know more about you than you do.

Note that if you paid for a copy of the dossier about you
it would only include a tiny fraction about what is
associated with you, typically only information on the
credit check database. Lots of other databases are created
"on the fly", collated from other databases for specific
campaigns.

There was talk at the time of also associating this
information with on-line computer activity to provide very
targeted advertising while surfing the web. Combine this
with RF tags embedding in clothing and you could soon be
walking past stores and a screen will light up and say
something like "Hello Charlie Pridham - Isn't it time you
replaced that old coat you are wearing? We have a new range
of coats in your size. Come in and look". Big brother
already exists.
--
David in Normandy

Old 27-11-2007, 01:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , David in
Normandy writes

. Combine this
with RF tags embedding in clothing and you could soon be
walking past stores and a screen will light up and say
something like "Hello Charlie Pridham - Isn't it time you
replaced that old coat you are wearing? We have a new range
of coats in your size. Come in and look". Big brother
already exists.

Worry when it starts saying
"Good lord Mrs David in Normandy, hasn't he bought you another coat for
winter yet? He paid for a diamond bracelet just the other day and he's
got HEAPS in his bank account unknown to you ...."

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 27-11-2007, 02:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Janet Tweedy
says...
In article , David in
Normandy writes

. Combine this
with RF tags embedding in clothing and you could soon be
walking past stores and a screen will light up and say
something like "Hello Charlie Pridham - Isn't it time you
replaced that old coat you are wearing? We have a new range
of coats in your size. Come in and look". Big brother
already exists.

Worry when it starts saying
"Good lord Mrs David in Normandy, hasn't he bought you another coat for
winter yet? He paid for a diamond bracelet just the other day and he's
got HEAPS in his bank account unknown to you ...."

As the old famous sailors toast goes "Here is a toast to
our wives and girlfriends - may they never meet." :-)

Joking aside, lack of privacy has already got that bad for
those people who are registered on the Facebook website. It
has caused a lot of concern recently because it tells
people what their "friends" buy from other web sites. As
someone commented "What if you'd just discretely bought a
book off Amazon called How to cope with H.I.V.?"
--
David in Normandy
Old 27-11-2007, 06:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
[...]

Well there is a vehicle here, a van, but it belongs to my wife not me. I
think what annoys me about a lot of these mail shots is that when you
do decide to phone up for a price they never want to sell you anything
anyway - as soon as they here its a van we want a price on, they just
hang up, same with house insurance, none of the companies that mail shot
are prepared to offer insurance on anything out of the ordinary and we
only get as far as what the house built of and again they hang up. which
would be fine if they would then take us off their lists!!
What it to do with gardening, well two years ago one company refused to
quote on the grounds we had a garden !!!
Old 28-11-2007, 12:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , David in
Normandy wrote
paper catalogues from companies that I order from only online. It's a
tremendous waste of trees, time and money.

I made a one-off purchase of a little electric rotovator
from a mail order company here in France. Every week since
then they bombard me with junk mail. It must have cost them
more in junk mail and postage than the profit they made
from the one-off sale to me.

I'm still getting catalogues addressed to the previous owner of my house
despite returning reply paid envelopes that ask if the catalogue is
still required. The previous owner died around 25 years ago!

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com