Old 25-11-2007, 01:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bitter pit

Apparently my Bramleys are being attacked by bitter pit, and my gardening
encyclopaedia recommends "spray with calcium nitrate every ten days from
early summer until harvesting" This for me would be a mammoth task. Is there
any procedure to treat the trees with calcium nitrate to the roots?
Alistair

Old 25-11-2007, 07:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks for the advice. However my trees are 30/35 years old and although
pruned annually, are anything but saplings.They are well established, fruit
handsomely and look healthy - all the way to the bitter pit. I feel,
probably quite wrongly that there could be another remedial treatment. My
stamping ground is Kent, if it matters.
Alistair.
"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
T...
In article ,
says...
Apparently my Bramleys are being attacked by bitter pit, and my gardening
encyclopaedia recommends "spray with calcium nitrate every ten days from
early summer until harvesting" This for me would be a mammoth task. Is
there
any procedure to treat the trees with calcium nitrate to the roots?
Alistair

The advice is sound, you can of course cure the problem using control of
water, young trees are especially prone and the trick is to keep the
water supply constant. They often just grow out of it.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 25-11-2007, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alistair Macdonald" wrote

http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile...bitter_pit.asp

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 26-11-2007, 02:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks very much for the advice particularly the directions to the RHS
website.
Alistair

"Alistair Macdonald" wrote

mango pit? Cindy Gardening 2 21-02-2004 08:32 PM
Mud pit...what to do??? gill Lawns 18 09-11-2003 03:02 AM
Horse manure in a pit question Richard Lovering Edible Gardening 5 03-07-2003 08:08 AM
avacado pit mhill North Carolina 4 01-05-2003 05:46 PM
avacado pit ncstockguy North Carolina 0 18-02-2003 02:04 AM