Old 29-11-2007, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default chilli pepper house plant "Apache" advice

greetings,

I bought a small potted houseplant Chilli pepper ("Apache") back in
October and have had some excellent chillies from it.

My experience of house plants so far is limited to the hardy Spider
plant, and I'm having a few problems:

1) many of the leaves have small holes and on investigation, there are
pinkish/brown aphids on the undersides. I have tried immersing the
plant upside down in soapy water a few times, then rinsing. This
doesn't seem to help. I have also removed the little blighters by
hand, but they seem to come back. The leaves look a bit dull and limp
too.

2) is it normal for the peppers to shrivel on the branch ? Most of
mine appear now to have gone from smooth shiny peppers into wrinkled
dark red ones. I have cut some off and chopped and used in food and
they seem to taste fine (i.e HOT). is that normal ?

On the plus side I have kept the seeds and planted a few in a pot and
they seem to have germinated so I intend growing some more plants.

many thanks
Old 29-11-2007, 07:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

jives11 writes
greetings,

I bought a small potted houseplant Chilli pepper ("Apache") back in
October and have had some excellent chillies from it.

My experience of house plants so far is limited to the hardy Spider
plant, and I'm having a few problems:

1) many of the leaves have small holes and on investigation, there are
pinkish/brown aphids on the undersides. I have tried immersing the
plant upside down in soapy water a few times, then rinsing. This
doesn't seem to help. I have also removed the little blighters by
hand, but they seem to come back.

They do that :-)
Don't pick them off individually, try running your fingers up each side
of the leaves and stems. Do it daily, more often if possible. Eventually
you'll get there. Remember they're born pregnant ;-)

The leaves look a bit dull and limp
too.

Probably the aphids

2) is it normal for the peppers to shrivel on the branch ?

Eventually, yes. I find it a convenient way to store them, others
advocate picking when red and storing some other way (eg deepfreeze)

Most of
mine appear now to have gone from smooth shiny peppers into wrinkled
dark red ones. I have cut some off and chopped and used in food and
they seem to taste fine (i.e HOT). is that normal ?

Yes.

On the plus side I have kept the seeds and planted a few in a pot and
they seem to have germinated so I intend growing some more plants.

Good idea. They don't particularly like the low light levels in winter
so it's handy to have new plants. Keep some seeds in a cool dry place
over winter and sow a few more in spring, too.
--
Kay
Old 29-11-2007, 07:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi..

jives11 wrote:

greetings,

Retourned..! :-)

I bought a small potted houseplant Chilli pepper ("Apache") back in
October and have had some excellent chillies from it.

Fine but it's a F1 hybrid..

1) many of the leaves have small holes and on investigation, there are
pinkish/brown aphids on the undersides. I have tried immersing the
plant upside down in soapy water a few times, then rinsing. This
doesn't seem to help. I have also removed the little blighters by
hand, but they seem to come back. The leaves look a bit dull and limp
too.

Welcome to the club..! :-)

Where (and how) do you keep them..? Here there's only _one_ sort that seem
to make trouble..

And relating to the main question "what's really normal today"..?:

Nothing..!?!

On the plus side I have kept the seeds and planted a few in a pot and
they seem to have germinated so I intend growing some more plants.

Well but it's a F1 hybrid..
--
cu
Marco
Old 29-11-2007, 10:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29 Nov, 18:21, Marco Schwarz wrote:
Hi..

jives11 wrote:
greetings,

Retourned..! :-)

I bought a small potted houseplant Chilli pepper ("Apache") back in
October and have had some excellent chillies from it.

Fine but it's a F1 hybrid..

1) many of the leaves have small holes and on investigation, there are
pinkish/brown aphids on the undersides. I have tried immersing the
plant upside down in soapy water a few times, then rinsing. This
doesn't seem to help. I have also removed the little blighters by
hand, but they seem to come back. The leaves look a bit dull and limp
too.

Welcome to the club..! :-)

Thanks for the encouraging,informative and rapid replies. What is an
F1 hybrid - it's not an eco racing car I assume

Old 29-11-2007, 11:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jonathan wrote ...((snip))

Thanks for the encouraging,informative and rapid replies. What is an
F1 hybrid - it's not an eco racing car I assume

It a first generation hybrid between two separate breeding lines so seeds
from F1 plants will not come true.i.e. they will not be Apache.

I am not alone in finding that trying to keep chilli plants going through
our winter a thankless task, yes I know they are perennial plants but they
don't like our winters even in a heated greenhouse, if you succeed well
done. I grow fresh plants every year for planting out on the allotment.
"Thai Dragon" is my preferred variety.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 30-11-2007, 08:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29 Nov, 22:00, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
Jonathan wrote ...((snip))

Thanks for the encouraging,informative and rapid replies. What is an
F1 hybrid - it's not an eco racing car I assume

It a first generation hybrid between two separate breeding lines so seeds
from F1 plants will not come true.i.e. they will not be Apache.

I am not alone in finding that trying to keep chilli plants going through
our winter a thankless task, yes I know they are perennial plants but they
don't like our winters even in a heated greenhouse, if you succeed well
done. I grow fresh plants every year for planting out on the allotment.
"Thai Dragon" is my preferred variety.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
17mls W. of London.UK

Thanks Bob, I'm really rather enjoying this. I'll keep harvesting the
aphids by hand and keep the plant nice and warm and in a sunny spot.
Just 3 of the chillies (with seeds removed) chopped and added to a
dish really has a kick.
Old 30-11-2007, 04:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in a message:
I am not alone in finding that trying to keep chilli plants going through
our winter a thankless task, yes I know they are perennial plants but they
don't like our winters even in a heated greenhouse, if you succeed well
done. I grow fresh plants every year for planting out on the allotment.
"Thai Dragon" is my preferred variety.
---

I too have never been able to over-winter chilli plants in my conservatory.
"Thai Dragon" sounds really HOT! A chef on a recent television cookery
programme recommended choosing green chillies if you don't like them hot,
I might just try a few next year.
Any tried and tested recommmendations?

MikeCT

Old 30-11-2007, 07:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi..

Bob Hobden wrote:

I am not alone in finding that trying to keep chilli plants going through
our winter a thankless task, yes I know they are perennial plants but they
don't like our winters even in a heated greenhouse, if you succeed well
done.

Here in the cold but frost-free conservatory in northern direction the
ornamental pepper (an orange fruiting Italian variety) and an unknown red
fruiting sort of C. frutescens do well..

My problem child is another one _indoors_ kept C. frutescens, that's a
magnet of/for aphids and whiteflies..

I grow fresh plants every year for planting out on the allotment.
"Thai Dragon" is my preferred variety.

Well too hot to me, and in my mind too _less_ flavour.. ;-)

--
cu
Marco, an unconvincable supporter of good old European sorts..
Old 11-11-2008, 02:19 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jives11 View Post
On 29 Nov, 18:21, Marco Schwarz wrote:
Hi..

jives11 wrote:
greetings,

Retourned..! :-)

[...]

I experienced the pests mentioned above, on taking a leaf to the local garden centre the guy got out his magnifying glass and diagnosed red spider mite.The spray he gave me worked a treat , i had to use it once a week for 4 weeks as this the life cycle of the mite .