Old 03-12-2007, 02:46 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

Default Trying to ID a mysterious fruit

In article ,
June Hughes writes:

| It certainly sounds possibly that it may be some sort of japonica to me
| - mine produces red fruit (which are poisonous) but to have them at this
| time of year is a bit of a mystery. Ii have not researched japonicas
| but mine flowers in spring and the fruit is a result. It's all over by
| May. It is strange that I have nothing in either the RHS books or
| cookery books.

Eh? "japonica" is a species name. It is normally used for Chaenomeles
japonica (or C. speciosa or C. x superba), the Japanese quince, and
the fruit are normal at this time of year and most definitely NOT at
all poisonous.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:27 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

June Hughes wrote:

PS Note for limey and Sacha - as a result of looking I have found my
Sarah Brown Vegetarian Cookery book - Oh joy!

Joy, indeed!
Old 03-12-2007, 03:36 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article ,
June Hughes writes:

| It certainly sounds possibly that it may be some sort of japonica to me
| - mine produces red fruit (which are poisonous) but to have them at this
| time of year is a bit of a mystery. Ii have not researched japonicas
| but mine flowers in spring and the fruit is a result. It's all over by
| May. It is strange that I have nothing in either the RHS books or
| cookery books.

Eh? "japonica" is a species name. It is normally used for Chaenomeles
japonica (or C. speciosa or C. x superba), the Japanese quince, and
the fruit are normal at this time of year and most definitely NOT at
all poisonous.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I didn't say japonicas were all poisonous. I said it may be some sort
of japonica and that the fruit from mine is poisonous. Please try and
read what is said and please do not shout.

Regards to you too.
--
June Hughes
Old 03-12-2007, 05:04 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

In message , limey
writes
June Hughes wrote:
PS Note for limey and Sacha - as a result of looking I have found
my
Sarah Brown Vegetarian Cookery book - Oh joy!

Joy, indeed!

Thanks Dora. The downside is, I have a cold and can't taste anything.
--
June Hughes
Old 03-12-2007, 05:45 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
June Hughes writes:

| | It certainly sounds possibly that it may be some sort of japonica to me
| | - mine produces red fruit (which are poisonous) but to have them at this
| | time of year is a bit of a mystery. Ii have not researched japonicas
| | but mine flowers in spring and the fruit is a result. It's all over by
| | May. It is strange that I have nothing in either the RHS books or
| | cookery books.
|
| Eh? "japonica" is a species name. It is normally used for Chaenomeles
| japonica (or C. speciosa or C. x superba), the Japanese quince, and
| the fruit are normal at this time of year and most definitely NOT at
| all poisonous.
|
| I didn't say japonicas were all poisonous. I said it may be some sort
| of japonica and that the fruit from mine is poisonous. Please try and
| read what is said and please do not shout.

You were and are very confused - I will try once more to try to
reduce your confusion.

"Some sort of japonica", in normal usage, can mean only one of the
Chaenomeles. Japonica as the name of a group of plants means that
and nothing else.

While I can grasp the concept of someone categorising all plants
with "japonica" as a specific epithet in a group, it makes no sense
in gardening terms. You would be classifying Paeonia japonica
together with Chaenomeles japonica, for a start.

I don't know what you mean by "some sort of japonica", if you don't
mean Chaenomeles and include something with poisonous fruit, and I
doubt that many other people will, either.

And I recommend reading "Tristram Shandy", for an education into
traditional English typographic conventions.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 03-12-2007, 06:01 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

Following up to (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

And I recommend reading "Tristram Shandy", for an education into
traditional English typographic conventions.

and i recommend you read a book on charm and good manners.
--
Mike
Remove clothing to email
Old 03-12-2007, 06:34 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article ,
June Hughes writes:

| | It certainly sounds possibly that it may be some sort of japonica to me
| | - mine produces red fruit (which are poisonous) but to have them at this
| | time of year is a bit of a mystery. Ii have not researched japonicas
| | but mine flowers in spring and the fruit is a result. It's all over by
| | May. It is strange that I have nothing in either the RHS books or
| | cookery books.
|
| Eh? "japonica" is a species name. It is normally used for Chaenomeles
| japonica (or C. speciosa or C. x superba), the Japanese quince, and
| the fruit are normal at this time of year and most definitely NOT at
| all poisonous.
|
| I didn't say japonicas were all poisonous. I said it may be some sort
| of japonica and that the fruit from mine is poisonous. Please try and
| read what is said and please do not shout.

You were and are very confused - I will try once more to try to
reduce your confusion.

"Some sort of japonica", in normal usage, can mean only one of the
Chaenomeles. Japonica as the name of a group of plants means that
and nothing else.

While I can grasp the concept of someone categorising all plants
with "japonica" as a specific epithet in a group, it makes no sense
in gardening terms. You would be classifying Paeonia japonica
together with Chaenomeles japonica, for a start.

I don't know what you mean by "some sort of japonica", if you don't
mean Chaenomeles and include something with poisonous fruit, and I
doubt that many other people will, either.

And I recommend reading "Tristram Shandy", for an education into
traditional English typographic conventions.

I recommend you learn to be a bit more civil. Pompous is not the word
for you. And BTW, I have read Tristram Shandy. Perhaps you should read
a book on good manners. There are several on the market.

Goodbye.

--
June Hughes
Old 03-12-2007, 07:11 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
June Hughes writes:

| Very possibly. At least you were civil with your answer and I have
| learned something. I thank you for that and wish some others could be a
| little more pleasant.

Indeed.

I regret responding to you in a similar tone to that of your posting,
and apologise for doing so.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:04 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

June Hughes wrote:
In message , limey
writes
June Hughes wrote:
PS Note for limey and Sacha - as a result of looking I have found
my
Sarah Brown Vegetarian Cookery book - Oh joy!

Joy, indeed!

Thanks Dora. The downside is, I have a cold and can't taste anything.

Lemon juice and a good shot of whiskey in a mug, fill with boiling water
and stir. Drink it as hot as possible - probably won't cure your cold,
but you'll feel soothed! (I'm not kidding - it works for me.) Hope
you're better soon.

Old 03-12-2007, 09:21 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 15:04:25 -0500, "Dora Crawford"
wrote:

June Hughes wrote:
In message , limey
writes
June Hughes wrote:
PS Note for limey and Sacha - as a result of looking I have found
my
Sarah Brown Vegetarian Cookery book - Oh joy!

Joy, indeed!

Thanks Dora. The downside is, I have a cold and can't taste anything.

Lemon juice and a good shot of whiskey in a mug, fill with boiling water
and stir. Drink it as hot as possible - probably won't cure your cold,
but you'll feel soothed! (I'm not kidding - it works for me.) Hope
you're better soon.

My version is a spoonfull of honey, lemon juice, dash of whiskey and
then fill up mug with hot water.
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free
Old 03-12-2007, 09:31 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

In message , Dora Crawford
writes
June Hughes wrote:
In message , limey
writes
June Hughes wrote:
PS Note for limey and Sacha - as a result of looking I have found
my
Sarah Brown Vegetarian Cookery book - Oh joy!

Joy, indeed!

Thanks Dora. The downside is, I have a cold and can't taste anything.

Lemon juice and a good shot of whiskey in a mug, fill with boiling
water and stir. Drink it as hot as possible - probably won't cure
your cold, but you'll feel soothed! (I'm not kidding - it works for
me.) Hope you're better soon.

Thanks Dora. Sacha has a cold too, so perhaps we can both try your
remedy. I think I shall put a little sugar in mine.
--
June Hughes
Old 03-12-2007, 09:34 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

June Hughes wrote:
Thanks Dora. The downside is, I have a cold and can't taste
anything.

Lemon juice and a good shot of whiskey in a mug, fill with boiling
water and stir. Drink it as hot as possible - probably won't cure
your cold, but you'll feel soothed! (I'm not kidding - it works for
me.) Hope you're better soon.

My version is a spoonfull of honey, lemon juice, dash of whiskey and
then fill up mug with hot water.

Oops - I left out the sweetener. Thanks for reminding me before I get
my next cold!