Old 03-12-2007, 08:39 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

Default Trying to ID a mysterious fruit

In message , Mogga
writes
On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 15:04:25 -0500, "Dora Crawford"
wrote:

June Hughes wrote:
In message , limey
writes
June Hughes wrote:
PS Note for limey and Sacha - as a result of looking I have found
my
Sarah Brown Vegetarian Cookery book - Oh joy!

Joy, indeed!
Thanks Dora. The downside is, I have a cold and can't taste anything.

Lemon juice and a good shot of whiskey in a mug, fill with boiling water
and stir. Drink it as hot as possible - probably won't cure your cold,
but you'll feel soothed! (I'm not kidding - it works for me.) Hope
you're better soon.

My version is a spoonfull of honey, lemon juice, dash of whiskey and
then fill up mug with hot water.

Ah! Honey. This gets better and better It's ages since I had a cold
as bad as this. Off to make a hot toddy)
--
June Hughes
Old 04-12-2007, 08:04 AM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Ophelia" writes:

| All this sounds so exotic to me. I tend to grow apples, plums,
| blackberries, rhubarb and blackcurrants. We do eat them and I cook with
| them. I suppose it is because it is what I grew up with I do try unknown
| fruits but somehow I can't get to grips with them.

Quinces have been grown in the UK for centuries, but are a bit tricky.

Japanese quinces / Chaenomeles / japonica are normally grown as
flowering plants, and the fruit just sort of happens :-) While the
latter makes excellent jelly, cheese, chutney and can be eaten in
pies and other puddings, most people don't bother. But they are
very decorative flowers and need no attention for producing fruit.
Literally NO attention - even less than blackberries :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 04-12-2007, 05:05 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

Ophelia wrote:

Sacha wrote:
On 3/12/07 17:00, in article
, "Mike...."
wrote:

Following up to
(Nick Maclaren) wrote:

"Some sort of japonica", in normal usage, can mean only one of the
Chaenomeles. Japonica as the name of a group of plants means that
and nothing else.

are there not various "japanese" quinces? I understood the meaning to
be that. I had an ormamental one in the garden for a time.

Japanese quinces are usually understood to be Chaenomeles and then
there are named varieties of that. AFAIK, you can make jelly from
them.
Cydonia is the true quince with the large, golden, roughly
pear-shaped fruit - these are real beauties when mature trees but
they're not the 'mysterious fruit' I'm trying to ID.

All this sounds so exotic to me. I tend to grow apples, plums,
blackberries, rhubarb and blackcurrants. We do eat them and I cook with
them. I suppose it is because it is what I grew up with I do try unknown
fruits but somehow I can't get to grips with them.

I had fun trying to ID nisperos in English- as I only ever knew them by
the spanish name. It's loquat, but the Italian nespole (that's what they
were called in a market when we bought them in Rome) translates as
medlar fruit, which I don't think is the same thing- though related
IIRC?

One fruit I particularly like but don't see much in the UK shops is
grenadilla (is there an English name?). Divine! Lidl (of all places!)
was selling them a while back...

--
(*) ... of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
http://www.davidhorne.net - real address on website
Old 04-12-2007, 05:13 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

In message , "David Horne,
_the_ chancellor (*)" writes
Ophelia wrote:

Sacha wrote:
On 3/12/07 17:00, in article
, "Mike...."
wrote:

Following up to
(Nick Maclaren) wrote:

[...]

We don't have a Lidl near here, although they have just opened an Aldi
in North Finchley. Are they similar in what they sell, please?
--
June Hughes
Old 04-12-2007, 05:23 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
Ophelia wrote:

Sacha wrote:
On 3/12/07 17:00, in article
, "Mike...."
wrote:

Following up to
(Nick Maclaren) wrote:

[...]

Grenadilla is one of several species of Passion fruit
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 04-12-2007, 05:42 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

In message , "David Horne,
_the_ chancellor (*)" writes
Ophelia wrote:

Sacha wrote:
On 3/12/07 17:00, in article
, "Mike...."
wrote:

Following up to
(Nick Maclaren) wrote:

[...]

You can think of a medlar (Mespilus) as a giant haw (Crataegus); loquats
(Eriobotrya) are also pome fruits, but so are apples, pears,
serviceberries, and quite a few other plants.

One fruit I particularly like but don't see much in the UK shops is
grenadilla (is there an English name?). Divine! Lidl (of all places!)
was selling them a while back...

Yes, there is an English name; it is granadilla.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granadilla
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 04-12-2007, 05:49 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

Charlie Pridham wrote:

In article ,
says...

[]
One fruit I particularly like but don't see much in the UK shops is
grenadilla (is there an English name?). Divine! Lidl (of all places!)
was selling them a while back...

Grenadilla is one of several species of Passion fruit

So I see, but when I think of passion fruit (at least what goes by that
name here) it's quite different.

Old 04-12-2007, 05:49 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

June Hughes wrote:

In message , "David Horne,
_the_ chancellor (*)" writes

[]
One fruit I particularly like but don't see much in the UK shops is
grenadilla (is there an English name?). Divine! Lidl (of all places!)
was selling them a while back...

We don't have a Lidl near here, although they have just opened an Aldi
in North Finchley. Are they similar in what they sell, please?

Similar- not quite the same, at least in the UK. Aldi (and Lidl) are
quite variable- excellent buys for some things. For example, fresh
mozzarella, proscuitto di parma. They also had an _excellent_ syrupy
balsamic vinegar a while back- the regular balsamic they have is fine,
but nothing special. Also, when in season they stock local veg-
excellent lancashire tomatoes in the ones here! Also, the baby leaf
salad is good. At the moment, the jumbo shrimp and scallops are very
good. Don't buy the lobster, very disappointing...

Old 04-12-2007, 05:55 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

In message , "David Horne,
_the_ chancellor (*)" writes

[]
I had fun trying to ID nisperos in English- as I only ever knew them by
the spanish name. It's loquat, but the Italian nespole (that's what they
were called in a market when we bought them in Rome) translates as
medlar fruit, which I don't think is the same thing- though related
IIRC?

You can think of a medlar (Mespilus) as a giant haw (Crataegus); loquats
(Eriobotrya) are also pome fruits, but so are apples, pears,
serviceberries, and quite a few other plants.

Interesting- I wonder why the 'confusion' in various language
dictionaries about this.

One fruit I particularly like but don't see much in the UK shops is
grenadilla (is there an English name?). Divine! Lidl (of all places!)
was selling them a while back...

Yes, there is an English name; it is granadilla.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granadilla

Ah, thanks. I'd only referred to it before when talking in Spanish, and
it's the same spelling- my mistake!

Old 04-12-2007, 06:06 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes:

| You can think of a medlar (Mespilus) as a giant haw (Crataegus); loquats
| (Eriobotrya) are also pome fruits, but so are apples, pears,
| serviceberries, and quite a few other plants.

Indeed. Of the traditional tree fruits grown in the UK, nearly half
are pome fruits and most of the others are in the plum/cherry group.

| One fruit I particularly like but don't see much in the UK shops is
| grenadilla (is there an English name?). Divine! Lidl (of all places!)
| was selling them a while back...
|
| Yes, there is an English name; it is granadilla.
|
| http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granadilla

We always knew it as grenadilla in Africa.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:07 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

In message , "David Horne,
_the_ chancellor (*)" writes
June Hughes wrote:

In message , "David Horne,
_the_ chancellor (*)" writes

[]
One fruit I particularly like but don't see much in the UK shops is
grenadilla (is there an English name?). Divine! Lidl (of all places!)
was selling them a while back...

We don't have a Lidl near here, although they have just opened an Aldi
in North Finchley. Are they similar in what they sell, please?

Similar- not quite the same, at least in the UK. Aldi (and Lidl) are
quite variable- excellent buys for some things. For example, fresh
mozzarella, proscuitto di parma. They also had an _excellent_ syrupy
balsamic vinegar a while back- the regular balsamic they have is fine,
but nothing special. Also, when in season they stock local veg-
excellent lancashire tomatoes in the ones here! Also, the baby leaf
salad is good. At the moment, the jumbo shrimp and scallops are very
good. Don't buy the lobster, very disappointing...

Thanks David. When this cold has gone I shall go and have a look.
--
June Hughes