Old 04-12-2007, 06:20 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

Default Trying to ID a mysterious fruit

June Hughes wrote:
In message , "David Horne,
_the_ chancellor (*)" writes
June Hughes wrote:

In message , "David
Horne, _the_ chancellor (*)" writes

[]
One fruit I particularly like but don't see much in the UK shops is
grenadilla (is there an English name?). Divine! Lidl (of all
places!) was selling them a while back...

We don't have a Lidl near here, although they have just opened an
Aldi in North Finchley. Are they similar in what they sell, please?

Similar- not quite the same, at least in the UK. Aldi (and Lidl) are
quite variable- excellent buys for some things. For example, fresh
mozzarella, proscuitto di parma. They also had an _excellent_ syrupy
balsamic vinegar a while back- the regular balsamic they have is
fine, but nothing special. Also, when in season they stock local veg-
excellent lancashire tomatoes in the ones here! Also, the baby leaf
salad is good. At the moment, the jumbo shrimp and scallops are very
good. Don't buy the lobster, very disappointing...

Thanks David. When this cold has gone I shall go and have a look.

I am a Lidl fan too

Old 04-12-2007, 06:27 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

"Ophelia" wrote in message
June Hughes wrote:
In message , "David Horne,
_the_ chancellor (*)" writes
June Hughes wrote:

[...]

We went there ......................................... ONCE :-((

Cheap and nasty

Mike

--
www.rnshipmates.co.uk for ALL Royal Navy Association matters
"Navy Days" Portsmouth 25th - 27th July 2008. RN Shipmates will be there.

Old 04-12-2007, 06:30 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

Ophelia wrote:

June Hughes wrote:
In message , "David Horne,
_the_ chancellor (*)" writes
June Hughes wrote:

[...]

Some really good (cheap) chocolates!

--
(*) ... of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
http://www.davidhorne.net - real address on website
Old 04-12-2007, 06:30 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

'Mike' wrote:

"Ophelia" wrote in message
June Hughes wrote:

[]
Thanks David. When this cold has gone I shall go and have a look.

I am a Lidl fan too

We went there ......................................... ONCE :-((

Cheap and nasty

It's cheap- I wouldn't call it nasty. Just variable- in that not all the
stuff is great, but what _is_ good is consistently good. Aldi and Lidl
almost only sell their own brands, and only one type of something.

Old 04-12-2007, 06:34 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

In message , Ophelia
writes
June Hughes wrote:
In message , "David Horne,
_the_ chancellor (*)" writes
June Hughes wrote:

[...]

Yes, I know, O but we don't have one near here. Finchley is reasonably
close.
--
June Hughes
Old 04-12-2007, 06:34 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

June Hughes wrote:

[]
Thanks David. When this cold has gone I shall go and have a look.

Keep up with the hot toddies!

(I recommend Caithness honey!)

Old 04-12-2007, 06:34 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

In message , "David Horne,
_the_ chancellor (*)" writes
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

In message , "David Horne,
_the_ chancellor (*)" writes

[]
I had fun trying to ID nisperos in English- as I only ever knew them by
the spanish name. It's loquat, but the Italian nespole (that's what they
were called in a market when we bought them in Rome) translates as
medlar fruit, which I don't think is the same thing- though related
IIRC?

You can think of a medlar (Mespilus) as a giant haw (Crataegus); loquats
(Eriobotrya) are also pome fruits, but so are apples, pears,
serviceberries, and quite a few other plants.

Interesting- I wonder why the 'confusion' in various language
dictionaries about this.

Googling tells me that loquats have also been known as Japanese medlars.
That's probably the source of the confusion.

One fruit I particularly like but don't see much in the UK shops is
grenadilla (is there an English name?). Divine! Lidl (of all places!)
was selling them a while back...

Yes, there is an English name; it is granadilla.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granadilla

Ah, thanks. I'd only referred to it before when talking in Spanish, and
it's the same spelling- my mistake!

James Nicoll's epigram applies -

"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that
English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow
words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways
to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary"
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 04-12-2007, 06:47 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Ah, interesting- thanks!

Certainly, I found an online discussion where what were clearly loquats
(in Italy) were being called medlars in English, nespole in Italian.

Old 04-12-2007, 06:56 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes:

| James Nicoll's epigram applies -
|
| "The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that
| English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow
| words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways
| to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary"

Quite. The Larousse Francaise and the Shorter Oxford are about the
same size, and go into comparable detail. The difference is that
the former describes essentially the whole of the general French
vocabulary, and the latter describes perhaps 1/3 of the general
English one.

And that's ignoring the tens of thousands of English dialects, argots,
cants, jargons, pidgins and all that ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 04-12-2007, 06:57 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"'Mike'" writes:

| I am a Lidl fan too
|
| We went there ......................................... ONCE :-((
|
| Cheap and nasty

You were a Lidl unimpressed?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:01 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

On 4/12/07 17:05, in article ,
"David Horne, _the_ chancellor *" wrote:

Ophelia wrote:

Sacha wrote:
On 3/12/07 17:00, in article
, "Mike...."
wrote:

Following up to
(Nick Maclaren) wrote:

"Some sort of japonica", in normal usage, can mean only one of the
Chaenomeles. Japonica as the name of a group of plants means that
and nothing else.

are there not various "japanese" quinces? I understood the meaning to
be that. I had an ormamental one in the garden for a time.

Japanese quinces are usually understood to be Chaenomeles and then
there are named varieties of that. AFAIK, you can make jelly from
them.
Cydonia is the true quince with the large, golden, roughly
pear-shaped fruit - these are real beauties when mature trees but
they're not the 'mysterious fruit' I'm trying to ID.

All this sounds so exotic to me. I tend to grow apples, plums,
blackberries, rhubarb and blackcurrants. We do eat them and I cook with
them. I suppose it is because it is what I grew up with I do try unknown
fruits but somehow I can't get to grips with them.

I had fun trying to ID nisperos in English- as I only ever knew them by
the spanish name. It's loquat, but the Italian nespole (that's what they
were called in a market when we bought them in Rome) translates as
medlar fruit, which I don't think is the same thing- though related
IIRC?

I think this is a bit like the Cydonia quince and the Chaenomeles quince,
isn't it?

One fruit I particularly like but don't see much in the UK shops is
grenadilla (is there an English name?). Divine! Lidl (of all places!)
was selling them a while back...

Passion flower - Passiflora edulis and yes, delicious but unlikely to do
much fruiting in the UK.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 04-12-2007, 07:02 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

On 4/12/07 17:49, in article ,
"David Horne, _the_ chancellor *" wrote:

Charlie Pridham wrote:

In article ,
says...

[]
One fruit I particularly like but don't see much in the UK shops is
grenadilla (is there an English name?). Divine! Lidl (of all places!)
was selling them a while back...

Grenadilla is one of several species of Passion fruit

So I see, but when I think of passion fruit (at least what goes by that
name here) it's quite different.

Where is 'here'? The Passionflower most seen grown outdoors in UK is
Passiflora caerulea.

Old 04-12-2007, 07:07 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:

On 4/12/07 17:49, in article ,
"David Horne, _the_ chancellor *" wrote:

Charlie Pridham wrote:

In article ,
says...

[]
One fruit I particularly like but don't see much in the UK shops is
grenadilla (is there an English name?). Divine! Lidl (of all places!)
was selling them a while back...

Grenadilla is one of several species of Passion fruit

So I see, but when I think of passion fruit (at least what goes by that
name here) it's quite different.

Where is 'here'? The Passionflower most seen grown outdoors in UK is
Passiflora caerulea.

UK- I'm talking about passion fruit you buy in shops...