Old 05-12-2007, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Best time for cutting back Yew hard

As mentioned sometime ago, we have some old topiary Yew in our garden.

One in particular is much to big (in width basically), it overgrows the
path too much (someone once has extended the path out to the side to get
round it), and anyway, the shape really isn't pleasing anymore.

We've decided that we need to cut it back fairly hard, to reduce the
size and to reshaped it into a simpler shape (maybe a cone or maybe a
'gherkin' type shape like another one in the garden).

Not sure when the best time will be for this - I'm thinking late winter,
before the new growth starts?
--
Chris French

Old 05-12-2007, 11:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 5/12/07 10:54, in article ,
"chris French" wrote:

As mentioned sometime ago, we have some old topiary Yew in our garden.

One in particular is much to big (in width basically), it overgrows the
path too much (someone once has extended the path out to the side to get
round it), and anyway, the shape really isn't pleasing anymore.

We've decided that we need to cut it back fairly hard, to reduce the
size and to reshaped it into a simpler shape (maybe a cone or maybe a
'gherkin' type shape like another one in the garden).

Not sure when the best time will be for this - I'm thinking late winter,
before the new growth starts?

AIUI, Chris, with yews they need their foliage for dormancy (no idea why)
and it's said to be best to stop clipping after August . I think the best
time is to cut them back just when they would be starting into new growth.
You can cut back fairly hard with yew and it will grow again unlike e.g.
Leylandii. All that said, we cut ours here whenever there's time to do it so
hard and fast rules are rarely observed. It's quite hard to kill off a yew
tree! We have a couple of young ones in our garden which have been grown to
the shape of the wonderful Cupressus sempervirens because the latter don't
do so well in this country in terms of keeping their shape. Whether you
could so drastically prune a really old yew tree, I don't know but perhaps
if you did it a bit at a time - sort of one half this year and the other
half the next year.....? However, I'm sure someone will know better than I
do about that.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 05-12-2007, 12:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , newspost-c-
says...

As mentioned sometime ago, we have some old topiary Yew in our garden.

One in particular is much to big (in width basically), it overgrows the
path too much (someone once has extended the path out to the side to get
round it), and anyway, the shape really isn't pleasing anymore.

We've decided that we need to cut it back fairly hard, to reduce the
size and to reshaped it into a simpler shape (maybe a cone or maybe a
'gherkin' type shape like another one in the garden).

Not sure when the best time will be for this - I'm thinking late winter,
before the new growth starts?

I have no idea whether there is a "right time" but we did a spot of chain
saw pruning on ours in winter about 20 years ago, took 2 years to look
right again but has been a lot easier to maintain and much more pleasing
to the eye since. The reason for our timing was we had Goldcrests which
nested every year in the yews and did not want to disturb them, they
spurned the pruned stumps the next year but have been back every year
there after.
My father reduced the cut wood after a few years seasoning to salt and
pepper mills and a rather nifty line in pens! so don't just burn it if
you have any chunky stuff, wood turners would be very grateful!
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 05-12-2007, 01:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Dec 5, 12:42 pm, Charlie Pridham
wrote:
In article , newspost-c-
says...

[...]

Yew wood is "supposed" to be poisonous until washed out a few times
and freshly turned yew goblets were supposed to be a way of killing
unwanted spouses etc. I have since heard that not to be quite true
but worth being careful unless you want to get rid of the missus. I
admire your care of the goldcrests; they are great birds.

Des
Old 05-12-2007, 04:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
T...

My father reduced the cut wood after a few years seasoning to salt and
pepper mills and a rather nifty line in pens! so don't just burn it if
you have any chunky stuff, wood turners would be very grateful!
--

Spouse uses it to make needlecases, spectacle frames, combs - you know where
we are :-)

Mary

Huge Yew Tree or Huge Yew Bush? 'Mike'[_4_] United Kingdom 0 27-05-2009 11:28 AM
New Yew Hedge - Cutting Back [email protected] United Kingdom 1 31-08-2006 06:02 PM
Cutting Back Yew... Felder Gardening 4 06-06-2004 01:05 AM
cutting back on cutting back Cereoid-UR12- Gardening 0 23-09-2003 12:04 AM
When is the best time to cut back/relocate garden plants Bob H United Kingdom 2 20-08-2003 09:32 PM