Old 05-12-2007, 09:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Geraniums

Hi All - have recently bought some nice old pots off some people
emigrating. One of these contains a big still flowering geranium.
As these start to die off could anyone please tell me what I should
do? I'm fairly new to gardening but if poss would like to see them
grow back next year. Any resource info you can give will be a big
help thanks.

StaminaJ

Posted with NewsLeecher v3.9 Beta 6
------------------- ----- ---- -- -

Old 06-12-2007, 12:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote ...
Hi All - have recently bought some nice old pots off some people
emigrating. One of these contains a big still flowering geranium.
As these start to die off could anyone please tell me what I should
do? I'm fairly new to gardening but if poss would like to see them
grow back next year. Any resource info you can give will be a big
help thanks.

At the risk of offending some, are we talking about the hardy Geraniums or
about the tender Pelargoniums that are incorrectly still called geraniums
(which they haven't been for decades) in the plant trade and that are used
as showy summer bedding etc.?

It will make a big difference as to the answers given.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 06-12-2007, 12:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC BAC is offline

wrote in message
Hi All - have recently bought some nice old pots off some people
emigrating. One of these contains a big still flowering geranium.
As these start to die off could anyone please tell me what I should
do? I'm fairly new to gardening but if poss would like to see them
grow back next year. Any resource info you can give will be a big
help thanks.

Why don't you ask the people emigrating how they used to 'overwinter' the
pots and the plants contained?

From your description 'big, still flowering', I'd guess your 'geraniums' are
not the hardy geranium type, which would probably have dies back by now, but
pelargoniums.

Pelargoniums are not hardy and, if left in the garden, normally die off over
winter. I say 'normally', because I have known them survive outside over
really mild winters.

The best way to preserve them would, probably, have been to take cuttings in
the late summer, and to keep the rooted cuttings on a frost free window
ledge over winter. The old plants could then have been dispensed with or
left to their own devices.

Failing that, if you can get your pots into a frost free location where the
temperature isn't going to get much less than 7 degrees C the plants should
survive. If that's not possible, lift the plants and put them in a tray of
compost and keep them in an unheated greenhouse or similar. I'd take the
leaves off and cut the stems back to about 4 inches, myself. There's not a
lot of need for watering, either, until you see new growth in spring.

My grandfather used to lift some of his plants, let them dry, and then hang
them upside down in his shed over winter. I don't think they all survived,
but some used to show signs of life in spring, and he gave them a good
soaking before potting them, and they mostly grew as good as new. But then,
he had green fingers :-)

Old 06-12-2007, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote
Their name changed to Pelargonium in the 1780's and they were only called
geranium from 1750's Its odd how some names fade while others persist.
You seldom now hear anyone call Hostas, Funkia (not even sure thats how
you spell it!)

It amazed me how the trade changed the name from Datura to Brugmansia for
those that were split off into that name.
Yet they still persist with geranium, mind you I overheard a chap talking to
his wife at the RHS Wisley plant sales area and when she pointed out the
Zonal Pels he said "no, I want the geraniums that look like that not those
difficult things"!

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 07-12-2007, 12:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks for the excellent advice. Unfortunately we had to buy the
items in a hurry and the previous owners have now disappeared. I
think what has confused matters is that this must be the hardy
variety, whereas I have also had some of the showy non-hardy variety
which have now died back... thanks again.

Old 07-12-2007, 03:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

aaah writes
Thanks for the excellent advice. Unfortunately we had to buy the
items in a hurry and the previous owners have now disappeared. I
think what has confused matters is that this must be the hardy
variety, whereas I have also had some of the showy non-hardy variety
which have now died back... thanks again.

Why do you say it must be the hardy variety?

What are referred to as hardy geraniums are in the genus Geranium, the
wild UK members of which are known as Cranesbill. They typically have
blue or pale pink flowers, of darker pink (but never bright shocking
pink) or white. They are usually grown in the ground - they are not so
showy as specimen plants so aren't usually grown singly in pots.

What are also colloquially known as geranium, but aren't, are in the
genus Pelargonium. They tend to have much brighter flowers, red, or
bright pinks. Never blue. And their leaves are thicker and stiffer than
Geranium leaves. With the mild autumn we have had, there is no reason
why they shouldn't still be in flower. I have one which has been
flowering continuously for four years (in a pot in the porch).
--
Kay
Old 07-12-2007, 09:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Old 07-12-2007, 09:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks for that Kay. I'm not an expert gardener so I really don't
know.
It is actually in a silver dustbin. It is indeed large with thick
leaves and pale pink flowers.
On the basis of what you are saying, should I bring it into my
conservatory for the winter?
I would attach a pic but not worked out how to do it yet though. I
strongly believe that this is a pelargonium based on what everyone
has said.

aaah writes

Old 08-12-2007, 12:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

aaah writes
Thanks for that Kay. I'm not an expert gardener so I really don't
know.
It is actually in a silver dustbin. It is indeed large with thick
leaves and pale pink flowers.
On the basis of what you are saying, should I bring it into my
conservatory for the winter?
I would attach a pic but not worked out how to do it yet though. I
strongly believe that this is a pelargonium based on what everyone
has said.

Bring it in for the winter.

If it were me, I would let it alone (apart from watering it as needed)
as long as it stays in flower, which may well be right through to next
summer ;-)

But other people have given you the standard line on overwintering them.
You won't kill it, either way, so do what you would prefer.

aaah writes

Old 10-12-2007, 12:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ok thanks a lot for the advice K, I will bring it in and leave it
alone for now !

Posted with NewsLeecher v3.9 Beta 6

geraniums in rocky soil Jessica Gardening 4 17-04-2003 06:44 PM
Geraniums Mitch Kosklin Australia 1 05-04-2003 07:33 AM
Pelargoniums/geraniums newby question Carol Kavanagh Australia 2 05-04-2003 07:32 AM
hardy geraniums - id and germination Victoria Clare United Kingdom 9 28-03-2003 08:44 PM
Help with Regal Geraniums [email protected] United Kingdom 1 02-03-2003 07:45 PM