Old 06-12-2007, 11:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bonsai Pruning

We received a lovely little Bonsai Tree as a Christmas present last
year. It has lasted well apart from a considerable leaf drop in the
middle of the year probably due to over watering on my part!

It has now started to put on a huge spurt of growth can anyone advise
me just how much I should prune back?
the new growths are about 2"- 3" in length.

I understand Should re-pot in the spring with new compost ?

Thankyou
Elizabeth in Renfrewshire, Scotland.
Removex to reply
Old 07-12-2007, 04:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 11:02:39 +0000, Elizabeth
wrote:

We received a lovely little Bonsai Tree as a Christmas present last
year. It has lasted well apart from a considerable leaf drop in the
middle of the year probably due to over watering on my part!

It has now started to put on a huge spurt of growth can anyone advise
me just how much I should prune back?
the new growths are about 2"- 3" in length.

I understand Should re-pot in the spring with new compost ?

Thankyou
Elizabeth in Renfrewshire, Scotland.
Removex to reply

It very much depends on what type of tree it is. Do you know its
name? Is it an indoor or outdoor bonsai? There is no one rule for
all.
If you don't know what variety it is, could you post a photo for us
to see, via a link to a photo web site which we can access?
I think it is probably inside as it is making new growth now. Outdoor
ones will have l lost their leaves now.
Leaves may have dropped due to over or under watering, but if you
think it was over-watering, you are probably right. Even indoor
bonsai should go out over winter. If it is indoors now keep it
somewhere cool.
Generally you can pinch out the tips of the new growths as they grow.
The general rule for repotting is to do it while dormant, in Feb or
March before new growth starts, but if yours is growing now, you will
have to make your own judgement.
I advise you to look up bonsai on the internet, and look for advice,
and also try to find its variety.
Get a book from the library.
Is there a bonsai nursery near you where you could take it for advice
and/or identification.
Hope this helps. Tell us more!

Pam in Bristol
Old 08-12-2007, 11:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Hi Pam,
Thank you for your reply. On doing a Google Search I find we have a
Beech, which therefore makes it an outdoor one I expect !

I am now a bit concerned that if it is outdoor and now bursting into
growth that I might have missed it's "dormant" period!

Elizabeth
Old 08-12-2007, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Have you got a greenhouse, or somewhere you can keep it frost-free?
It is very unusual for an ordinary English Beech to break into leaf
now, but at least you know it is alive! Don't put it out in this
weather! Has it been indoors all year?

Pam in Bristol
Old 09-12-2007, 11:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi Pam,
Thank you for your reply. On doing a Google Search I find we have a
Beech, which therefore makes it an outdoor one I expect !

I am now a bit concerned that if it is outdoor and now bursting into
growth that I might have missed it's "dormant" period!

Elizabeth
Elizabeth in Renfrewshire, Scotland.
Removex to reply

Have you got a greenhouse, or somewhere you can keep it frost-free?
It is very unusual for an ordinary English Beech to break into leaf
now, but at least you know it is alive! Don't put it out in this
weather! Has it been indoors all year?

Pam in Bristol

Yes, Pam it has.
It was a Marks and Spencer one and it said on the label "indoors" but
I am sure it is a beech ( it didn't say so on the label) but on
googling it certainly looks like one and the leaves do look like a
proper "grown-up one" :-)

Old 09-12-2007, 01:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 11:20:23 +0000, Elizabeth
wrote:

[...]

If you are not totally sure, put "beech tree" into Google images, and
you will find lots of pictures including some of the leaves, which are
large. I'm surprised if M&S would recommend an English beech for
indoors. English beech is "fgus sylvatica". There may be other more
tender imported bonsaicalled beech which should be kept frost-free,
but they may have smaller leaves.
I wish I could come and look at it but I'm "down south"! Ask around.
Good luck.

Pam in Bristol
Old 27-12-2007, 11:32 AM
mor mor is offline
Registered User

may be you could take apicture and load it here . that way it would be easy. what do you think

bonsai pruning lotty11 Bonsai 4 09-02-2005 08:05 AM
[IBC] Root Pruning, and Top Pruning Brent Walston Bonsai 4 01-07-2004 11:02 PM
Root Pruning, and Top Pruning Andrew G Bonsai 0 30-06-2004 01:05 PM
[IBC] Bonsai magazines [was: Bonsai Today] Chris Cochrane Bonsai 0 19-02-2003 08:27 AM
[IBC] US vs. European bonsai stundents - was [IBC] Juniper Bonsai life expectancy? Marty & Patty Weiser Bonsai 1 12-02-2003 04:25 AM