Old 08-12-2007, 11:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Christmas presents

On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 16:43:01 -0000, "'Mike'" wrote:

If you are wise enough to buy a ticket, your chances are 14 Million to 1
that you will WILL win, BUT, there is a chance.

Wrong. The chances are 14 million to 1 that you will NOT win.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Marco Schwarz" wrote in message
Hi..

Sacha wrote:

what gardening related gift would you wish for if your wildest
dream could come true?

Hm.., some fresh escargots fried in herb butter, served with French bred
and
a glass of dry red wine..! :-)

--
cu
Marco

Right now... just the glass of dry red wine would suit me!!!

Barb UK

Old 09-12-2007, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8/12/07 14:19, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| Nick, will you for heaven's sake let go and just go mad for a minute or
six!
| I'm getting over a rotten cold, I'm stuffed to the eyeballs with
| Paracetathingies and antibiotics and I want to hear some fun stuff. Tchah.
| IF someone else won the Lottery and bought you whatever you wished, what
| would you wish?!

Well, I did - by echoing David in Normandy :-)

;-) Okay, I suppose you're allowed that one!

But, to go REALLY over the top, I would like to be able to look
out of my windows and see lynx controlling the deer, rabbits and
other vermin (down, Mike).

On that subject - kind of - we were talking to a wildlife artist friend a
few weeks ago and he told us that even before the well-publicised 'release'
of wild boar into the Devonshire countryside, he'd known of several small
groups (herds, flocks??) for many years. He's a London man who started his
Devon career as a river warden so he's been close to what goes on on
Dartmoor and its surrounding area for thirty years to my certain knowledge.
He also believes quite certainly - as do many of his acquaintances who have
seen it - that the famous Black Cat is indeed around and about. It only
takes one person to buy an inappropriate pet and release it into the
wild......!

Or, to post something that got me flamed some years ago (and please
read this CAREFULLY before doing the same!), I look forward to the
day when more children are killed in Cambridgeshire by wolves than
by motor vehicles.

In my dreams ....

The latter wish could be repeated all over the country. ;-(
In fact, ISTR on reading one of Nicholas Evans books (he's now a 'local',
BTW, though I've never met him) that there is no real evidence of wolves
actually killing anyone in very many years, anywhere. I'm assuming this
must be affected to some extent by what other food sources they have,
wherever they are.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 09-12-2007, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9/12/07 17:04, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 16:57:38 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

On 8/12/07 14:19, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| Nick, will you for heaven's sake let go and just go mad for a minute or
six!
| I'm getting over a rotten cold, I'm stuffed to the eyeballs with
| Paracetathingies and antibiotics and I want to hear some fun stuff.
Tchah.
| IF someone else won the Lottery and bought you whatever you wished, what
| would you wish?!

Well, I did - by echoing David in Normandy :-)

;-) Okay, I suppose you're allowed that one!

But, to go REALLY over the top, I would like to be able to look
out of my windows and see lynx controlling the deer, rabbits and
other vermin (down, Mike).

On that subject - kind of - we were talking to a wildlife artist friend a
few weeks ago and he told us that even before the well-publicised 'release'
of wild boar into the Devonshire countryside, he'd known of several small
groups (herds,

SOM lonely swineherd, so herd.

I rather like the idea of a 'belligerence of boars', myself - bit like a
murder of crows and a parliament of rooks. ;-)

flocks??) for many years. He's a London man who started his
Devon career as a river warden so he's been close to what goes on on
Dartmoor and its surrounding area for thirty years to my certain knowledge.
He also believes quite certainly - as do many of his acquaintances who have
seen it - that the famous Black Cat is indeed around and about.

The famous Whitby Black Cat turned out to be a black Labrador.

Oh yes, it still could be and in fact, that happened here quite recently,
too. But I think what he and his friends are talking about is a bit too big
for that - and yes, I know Labs can be big, though modern ones rarely are -
and the paw marks are - apparently- wrong.

Old 09-12-2007, 06:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes

wrote:

On 8/12/07 14:19, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| Nick, will you for heaven's sake let go and just go mad for a minute or
six!
| I'm getting over a rotten cold, I'm stuffed to the eyeballs with
| Paracetathingies and antibiotics and I want to hear some fun stuff.
Tchah.
| IF someone else won the Lottery and bought you whatever you wished, what
| would you wish?!

Well, I did - by echoing David in Normandy :-)

;-) Okay, I suppose you're allowed that one!

But, to go REALLY over the top, I would like to be able to look
out of my windows and see lynx controlling the deer, rabbits and
other vermin (down, Mike).

On that subject - kind of - we were talking to a wildlife artist friend a
few weeks ago and he told us that even before the well-publicised 'release'
of wild boar into the Devonshire countryside, he'd known of several small
groups (herds,

SOM lonely swineherd, so herd.

I rather like the idea of a 'belligerence of boars', myself - bit like a
murder of crows and a parliament of rooks. ;-)

flocks??) for many years. He's a London man who started his
Devon career as a river warden so he's been close to what goes on on
Dartmoor and its surrounding area for thirty years to my certain knowledge.
He also believes quite certainly - as do many of his acquaintances who have
seen it - that the famous Black Cat is indeed around and about.

The famous Whitby Black Cat turned out to be a black Labrador.

Oh yes, it still could be and in fact, that happened here quite recently,
too. But I think what he and his friends are talking about is a bit too big
for that - and yes, I know Labs can be big, though modern ones rarely are -
and the paw marks are - apparently- wrong.

As far as I can tell, two things are true.

1) There are some larger cats (not necessarily pumas or "big cats")
living wild in the UK. (A puma was live-trapped in Glen Cannich some
years back, and if I recall correctly there have been some road-kills,
and some stock killings with cat bites.)

2) Most sightings are not genuine. (I didn't find the classic film of
the Beast of Bodmin convincing; either the hedge was huge, or the cat
wasn't large.)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 09-12-2007, 07:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| I rather like the idea of a 'belligerence of boars', myself - bit like a
| murder of crows and a parliament of rooks. ;-)

The last could only be an improvement ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9/12/07 18:39, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| I rather like the idea of a 'belligerence of boars', myself - bit like a
| murder of crows and a parliament of rooks. ;-)

The last could only be an improvement ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Judging by the squabbling, the mess, the dropped pieces of stick which don't
get picked up etc. I think I know what each is modelled on!

Old 10-12-2007, 01:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9/12/07 17:58, in article , "Stewart Robert
Hinsley" wrote:

In message , Sacha
writes

wrote:

On 8/12/07 14:19, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| Nick, will you for heaven's sake let go and just go mad for a minute or
six!
| I'm getting over a rotten cold, I'm stuffed to the eyeballs with
| Paracetathingies and antibiotics and I want to hear some fun stuff.
Tchah.
| IF someone else won the Lottery and bought you whatever you wished,
what
| would you wish?!

Well, I did - by echoing David in Normandy :-)

;-) Okay, I suppose you're allowed that one!

But, to go REALLY over the top, I would like to be able to look
out of my windows and see lynx controlling the deer, rabbits and
other vermin (down, Mike).

On that subject - kind of - we were talking to a wildlife artist friend a
few weeks ago and he told us that even before the well-publicised 'release'
of wild boar into the Devonshire countryside, he'd known of several small
groups (herds,
SOM lonely swineherd, so herd.

I rather like the idea of a 'belligerence of boars', myself - bit like a
murder of crows and a parliament of rooks. ;-)

flocks??) for many years. He's a London man who started his
Devon career as a river warden so he's been close to what goes on on
Dartmoor and its surrounding area for thirty years to my certain knowledge.
He also believes quite certainly - as do many of his acquaintances who have
seen it - that the famous Black Cat is indeed around and about.

The famous Whitby Black Cat turned out to be a black Labrador.

Oh yes, it still could be and in fact, that happened here quite recently,
too. But I think what he and his friends are talking about is a bit too big
for that - and yes, I know Labs can be big, though modern ones rarely are -
and the paw marks are - apparently- wrong.

As far as I can tell, two things are true.

1) There are some larger cats (not necessarily pumas or "big cats")
living wild in the UK. (A puma was live-trapped in Glen Cannich some
years back, and if I recall correctly there have been some road-kills,
and some stock killings with cat bites.)

Yes, I have no problem believing there are such creatures around.

2) Most sightings are not genuine. (I didn't find the classic film of
the Beast of Bodmin convincing; either the hedge was huge, or the cat
wasn't large.)

I think a lot of people would like to be the ones who spot something
extraordinary and imagination does the rest.