Old 10-12-2007, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Field beans getting nipped off at base of stalk

Planted some field beans in late October. About half of them have been
(apparently) nipped off at ground level (apparently) when they were
between 1" and 2" tall. Almost every day, I go out to my small
vegetable patch and find another one destroyed in the same way, lying
on it's side, detached from its roots. Anyone know what would have
done that? Birds? Slugs?

TIA!

JD
Old 10-12-2007, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JakeD" wrote ...

Planted some field beans in late October. About half of them have been
(apparently) nipped off at ground level (apparently) when they were
between 1" and 2" tall. Almost every day, I go out to my small
vegetable patch and find another one destroyed in the same way, lying
on it's side, detached from its roots. Anyone know what would have
done that? Birds? Slugs?

Mice?
Have the beans you planted been eaten leaving just the young shoot? Just
like out peas after I stopped the little blighters eating the sown peas they
then got them as they germinated, eating the seed leaves and leaving the
green shoot.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 11-12-2007, 08:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Bob Hobden" writes:
| "JakeD" wrote ...
|
| Planted some field beans in late October. About half of them have been
| (apparently) nipped off at ground level (apparently) when they were
| between 1" and 2" tall. Almost every day, I go out to my small
| vegetable patch and find another one destroyed in the same way, lying
| on it's side, detached from its roots. Anyone know what would have
| done that? Birds? Slugs?
|
| Mice?
| Have the beans you planted been eaten leaving just the young shoot? Just
| like out peas after I stopped the little blighters eating the sown peas they
| then got them as they germinated, eating the seed leaves and leaving the
| green shoot.

If they are just cut through, it is probably slugs.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 13-12-2007, 07:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11 Dec 2007 08:42:50 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

If they are just cut through, it is probably slugs.

Yes, they appear to have been cut thorugh at ground level. I find the
untouched remainer of the plant lying on ots side, detached from its
roots at ground level.

JD