Old 11-12-2007, 02:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Grass lawn v guinea pigs...advice please

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
vickie writes:

| I have guinea pigs who adore chomping their way through my grass,
| however its starting to look a bit worse for wear as they are over
| grawing and the weather is getting worse.
|
| Is there anything product wise that will help rebuild the grass/get it
| growing but is piggy friendly?

Guinea-pig dung :-)

Seriously - just move them around,

more often than you are. Observe dairy cows, they get regularly moved to new
grazing by farmers who can estimate the amount of feed left in a paddock &
move the stock before too much damage is done.
rob

Old 11-12-2007, 05:12 PM
Registered User

Question Grass lawn v guinea pigs...advice please

Hi there

Im after some advice.

I have guinea pigs who adore chomping their way through my grass, however its starting to look a bit worse for wear as they are over grawing and the weather is getting worse.

Is there anything product wise that will help rebuild the grass/get it growing but is piggy friendly?

any help most appreciated
vickie xx
Old 11-12-2007, 09:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
vickie writes:

| I have guinea pigs who adore chomping their way through my grass,
| however its starting to look a bit worse for wear as they are over
| grawing and the weather is getting worse.
|
| Is there anything product wise that will help rebuild the grass/get it
| growing but is piggy friendly?

Guinea-pig dung :-)

Seriously - just move them around, and it will regrow quite happily
in the spring. Also give them other stuff to eat, from the outer
leaves of broccoli and cabbages to groundsel (which they love).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11 Dec, 17:12, vickie wrote:
I have guinea pigs who adore chomping their way through my grass,
however its starting to look a bit worse for wear as they are over
grawing and the weather is getting worse.

my sister had a colony of GP's under her shed for several years and
never had to mow. She did put food out for them in the winter.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 13:57:03 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On 11 Dec, 17:12, vickie wrote:
I have guinea pigs who adore chomping their way through my grass,
however its starting to look a bit worse for wear as they are over
grawing and the weather is getting worse.

my sister had a colony of GP's under her shed for several years and
never had to mow. She did put food out for them in the winter.

Can they fight off squirrels and cats *and* do they like privet?
;-)
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free

Old 12-12-2007, 10:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:

Isn't the collective term "a practice of GPs"?

A "Speedboat" surely!

L (explanations for younger readers available ;o)

--
Remove Frontal Lobes to reply direct.

"These people believe the souls of fried space aliens inhabit their
bodies and hold soup cans to get rid of them. I should care what they
think?"...Valerie Emmanuel

Les Hemmings a.a #2251 SA

Old 12-12-2007, 02:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"vickie" wrote in message

Hi there

Im after some advice.

I have guinea pigs who adore chomping their way through my grass,
however its starting to look a bit worse for wear as they are over
grawing and the weather is getting worse.

Is there anything product wise that will help rebuild the grass/get it
growing but is piggy friendly?

any help most appreciated
vickie xx

--
vickie

Eat the Guinea pigs

Old 12-12-2007, 02:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Dec 11, 9:44 pm, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
In article ,vickie writes:

| I have guinea pigs who adore chomping their way through my grass,
| however its starting to look a bit worse for wear as they are over
| grawing and the weather is getting worse.
|
| Is there anything product wise that will help rebuild the grass/get it
| growing but is piggy friendly?

Guinea-pig dung :-)

Seriously - just move them around, and it will regrow quite happily
in the spring. Also give them other stuff to eat, from the outer
leaves of broccoli and cabbages to groundsel (which they love).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

At this time of year I wouldn't put guinea pigs outisde on grass as it
could contain spores or moulds - no doubt you will know something
about this Nick?
Old 12-12-2007, 03:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"judith.lea" writes:

| At this time of year I wouldn't put guinea pigs outisde on grass as it
| could contain spores or moulds - no doubt you will know something
| about this Nick?

Well, no more than many people. But so what? They aren't overbred
insults to the species, like thoroughbred horses and many breeds of
dog, and so aren't going to be worried by that. It's not as if Peru
is a fungus-free environment.

We kept ours outside except in the most bitter of conditions, and
they lived to a ripe old age. Lots of other people do the same.
They need a dry and windproof hutch, stuffed well with hay, and will
come out to graze even when there is hoarfrost on the grass. The
Andes can get quite chilly, too :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Dec 12, 3:13 pm, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
In article ,"judith. lea" writes:

| At this time of year I wouldn't put guinea pigs outisde on grass as it
| could contain spores or moulds - no doubt you will know something
| about this Nick?

Well, no more than many people. But so what? They aren't overbred
insults to the species, like thoroughbred horses and many breeds of
dog, and so aren't going to be worried by that. It's not as if Peru
is a fungus-free environment.

We kept ours outside except in the most bitter of conditions, and
they lived to a ripe old age. Lots of other people do the same.
They need a dry and windproof hutch, stuffed well with hay, and will
come out to graze even when there is hoarfrost on the grass. The
Andes can get quite chilly, too :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Thanks Nick I will pass that info onto my daughter.

Old 14-12-2007, 04:40 PM
Registered User

Thanks,
I was hoping for a miracle grass growing cure, but alas, as expected I just need to get my arse out there and move the run a bit more. Will be cramming them full of swede and stuff post haste,
thanks for the advice xxx

Lawns & guinea pigs olyman Lawns 6 25-09-2012 02:18 AM
Best way to treat a lawn that is ahred with guinea pigs George.com United Kingdom 17 27-08-2012 09:14 PM
Vegetable garden for guinea pigs (and people too!) Claire Petersky Edible Gardening 22 10-01-2005 01:56 PM
Furze pigs Essjay001 United Kingdom 27 21-05-2004 08:12 AM