Old 18-12-2007, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default camellia id?

anyone recognize the camellia www.roselandhouse.co.uk/camellia.jpg Its in
full flower now in a friends garden (which is apparently normal the
gardens owner tells me) and scented so I think it must be a Sasanqua but
I do not grow any of these and did not recognize it.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 18-12-2007, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/12/07 17:55, in article
, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

www.roselandhouse.co.uk/camellia.jpg

That little splash of pink often occurs on C. Narumi-Gata so while there are
so many, many Camellias I know this one is scented and flowers now and has
that 'blush' sometimes. So I'm going to guess at that one. It was one of my
ex fil's favourites and it's his fault I grow it now! ;-)
Here's another pic
http://www.rhododendrons.com/product/5722/1
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 19-12-2007, 08:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
On 18/12/07 17:55, in article
, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

www.roselandhouse.co.uk/camellia.jpg

That little splash of pink often occurs on C. Narumi-Gata so while there are
so many, many Camellias I know this one is scented and flowers now and has
that 'blush' sometimes. So I'm going to guess at that one. It was one of my
ex fil's favourites and it's his fault I grow it now! ;-)
Here's another pic
http://www.rhododendrons.com/product/5722/1

You are I think spot on, it looks exactly like that. Its the only
camellia in their garden and they will be delighted to know what it is as
they keep getting asked!
Old 19-12-2007, 09:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/12/07 08:58, in article
, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

In article ,
says...
On 18/12/07 17:55, in article
, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

www.roselandhouse.co.uk/camellia.jpg

That little splash of pink often occurs on C. Narumi-Gata so while there are
so many, many Camellias I know this one is scented and flowers now and has
that 'blush' sometimes. So I'm going to guess at that one. It was one of my
ex fil's favourites and it's his fault I grow it now! ;-)
Here's another pic
http://www.rhododendrons.com/product/5722/1

You are I think spot on, it looks exactly like that. Its the only
camellia in their garden and they will be delighted to know what it is as
they keep getting asked!

Glad I could help, Charlie. I hope ours continue to grow and flourish.
They're looking wonderful now.

Old 20-12-2007, 11:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/12/07 22:02, in article ,
"Chris Hogg" wrote:

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 08:58:27 -0000, Charlie Pridham
wrote:

In article ,
says...
On 18/12/07 17:55, in article
, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

www.roselandhouse.co.uk/camellia.jpg

That little splash of pink often occurs on C. Narumi-Gata so while there are
so many, many Camellias I know this one is scented and flowers now and has
that 'blush' sometimes. So I'm going to guess at that one. It was one of my
ex fil's favourites and it's his fault I grow it now! ;-)
Here's another pic
http://www.rhododendrons.com/product/5722/1

You are I think spot on, it looks exactly like that. Its the only
camellia in their garden and they will be delighted to know what it is as
they keep getting asked!

Just to raise a small doubt in your mind, according to Jennifer
Trehane in her book on camellias, C. oleifera is very similar to C.
narumigata, and the two are often confused by amateur and professional
alike, with the one being sold as the other and vice versa.

I love those 'disputes'. Once you get to that point, you have to ask
yourself 'does it matter'? ;-)