GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Unusual mole? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/168104-unusual-mole.html)

David in Normandy[_3_] 20-12-2007 09:17 AM

Unusual mole?

We've got lots of normal mole hills in the "lawn", but the
other day a solitary mole hill appeared away from all the
other hills, that was double the size of all the others. I
raked all the earth away and onto a flower bed exposing a
hole about 2 inches diameter going into the ground at a
steep angle. I poured a container full of old cooking oil
down the hole. Today there is another large hill above the
same hole.

Is this a mole or some other burrowing rodent? I've not
seen moles attempt to make "a mountain out of mole hill"
before. Perhaps this is an ordinary mole aiming for some
sort of construction record for the largest hill?
--
David in Normandy

judith.lea 20-12-2007 11:52 AM

Unusual mole?

On Dec 20, 9:17 am, David in Normandy wrote:
We've got lots of normal mole hills in the "lawn", but the
other day a solitary mole hill appeared away from all the
other hills, that was double the size of all the others. I
raked all the earth away and onto a flower bed exposing a
hole about 2 inches diameter going into the ground at a
steep angle. I poured a container full of old cooking oil
down the hole. Today there is another large hill above the
same hole.

Is this a mole or some other burrowing rodent? I've not
seen moles attempt to make "a mountain out of mole hill"
before. Perhaps this is an ordinary mole aiming for some
sort of construction record for the largest hill?
--
David in Normandy

Could it be a young one David, they tend to burrow on the top.

Emery Davis 20-12-2007 02:21 PM

Unusual mole?

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 10:17:16 +0100
David in Normandy wrote:

We've got lots of normal mole hills in the "lawn", but the
other day a solitary mole hill appeared away from all the
other hills, that was double the size of all the others. I
raked all the earth away and onto a flower bed exposing a
hole about 2 inches diameter going into the ground at a
steep angle. I poured a container full of old cooking oil
down the hole. Today there is another large hill above the
same hole.

Is this a mole or some other burrowing rodent? I've not
seen moles attempt to make "a mountain out of mole hill"
before. Perhaps this is an ordinary mole aiming for some
sort of construction record for the largest hill?

I was told that the really huge hill is the nest, burrow, whatever.

David I meant to suggest that you find an old duffer in the village
to trap your moles for you. We've got a lovely old fella who comes
around, occasionally I give him a bottle of wine (something nice, since
he doesn't drink any more it's for his wife or family, but I want him
to know I value his services!) but I think he does it for the joy of
the chase, and of course for the occasional natter over a cup of
coffee.

Happy Christmas to everyone on urg,

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

Stan The Man 20-12-2007 05:06 PM

Unusual mole?

On 2007-12-20 09:17:16 +0000, David in Normandy said:

We've got lots of normal mole hills in the "lawn", but the
other day a solitary mole hill appeared away from all the
other hills, that was double the size of all the others. I
raked all the earth away and onto a flower bed exposing a
hole about 2 inches diameter going into the ground at a
steep angle. I poured a container full of old cooking oil
down the hole. Today there is another large hill above the
same hole.

Is this a mole or some other burrowing rodent? I've not
seen moles attempt to make "a mountain out of mole hill"
before. Perhaps this is an ordinary mole aiming for some
sort of construction record for the largest hill?

Sounds like Mother Mole to me. She's the one who owns your lawn and
stops other moles from taking up residence. She typically lives apart
from her offspring and makes fewer but bigger excavations. You can
target her but if you succeed, another matriarch will move in.

David in Normandy[_3_] 20-12-2007 06:41 PM

Unusual mole?

In article , Emery
Davis says...
David in Normandy wrote:

[...]

Our lawn is starting to look like a battle re-enactment
from WWI. There must be 40 or more hills now plus the huge
one. Time for drastic action methinks.

Merry Christmas to everyone on URG too.

--
David in Normandy

David in Normandy[_3_] 20-12-2007 06:46 PM

Unusual mole?

In article , Stan
The Man says...
On 2007-12-20 09:17:16 +0000, David in Normandy said:

[...]

I'll see if I can find some way of giving Madame Mole her
marching orders. Enough is enough. Our lawn is in a right
state now. It's only one step off being rotovated and re-
done - if only I can evict and permanently keep the darn
moles out. Time for a word with our French neighbour, he
doesn't seem to have any problems with moles in his lawn or
he knows how to get rid of them.

Has anyone tried the mole plunger from Northern Tools?
It looks vicious enough to be the business?
http://www.northerntooluk.com/produc...partno=168907E

--
David in Normandy

Dave Hill 20-12-2007 07:23 PM

Unusual mole?

On 20 Dec, 18:46, David in Normandy wrote:
In article , Stan
The Man says...

On 2007-12-20 09:17:16 +0000, David in Normandy said:

[...]

I just wonder what the Oil was supposed to do?
In my youth we used to put carbide in the runs to Gas them or a hose
from the car exhaust.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

David in Normandy[_3_] 20-12-2007 07:58 PM

Unusual mole?

In article 88eec8ee-f4c2-4a83-865f-
, Dave Hill
says...

On 2007-12-20 09:17:16 +0000, David in Normandy said:

[...]

The oil needed changing in the deep fat fryer. It seemed
like a good place to dispose of it. Unfortunately the mole
didn't seem bothered by it. I wondered if would send it
packing but no. I tried the car exhaust last year. It
seemed to result in no mole activity for a few weeks then
more hills.
--
David in Normandy

Stan The Man 20-12-2007 10:50 PM

Unusual mole?

In article , Stan
The Man says...
On 2007-12-20 09:17:16 +0000, David in Normandy said:

[...]

Yes, I can recommend them. Keep the sliding bits well oiled so that the
guillotine drops fast and true.