GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   is it too late to fleece camellias? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/168108-too-late-fleece-camellias.html)

Si[_2_] 20-12-2007 09:52 AM

is it too late to fleece camellias?

It was -7"C here last night. Am I too late to wrap the camellias in
fleece to protect the buds?

--
Si

Sacha 20-12-2007 10:02 AM

is it too late to fleece camellias?

On 20/12/07 09:52, in article , "Si"
$3o&m wrote:

It was -7"C here last night. Am I too late to wrap the camellias in
fleece to protect the buds?

Probably a question of better late than never. You have nothing to lose if
you do it. Not all Camellias are frost hardy but most are, once well
established. We've gone down to -6 here without Camellia problems.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Si[_2_] 20-12-2007 10:43 AM

is it too late to fleece camellias?

In message , Sacha
writes
On 20/12/07 09:52, in article , "Si"
$3o&m wrote:

It was -7"C here last night. Am I too late to wrap the camellias in
fleece to protect the buds?

Probably a question of better late than never. You have nothing to lose if
you do it. Not all Camellias are frost hardy but most are, once well
established. We've gone down to -6 here without Camellia problems.

Thanks Sacha. None of them have been caught by the sun yet and I've
shaded the one which was just about to be. I've an errand to run and
then I'll get out there and wrap them up.

--
Si

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 20-12-2007 12:54 PM

is it too late to fleece camellias?

In article , $3o&m
says...
In message , Sacha
writes
On 20/12/07 09:52, in article , "Si"
$3o&m wrote:

It was -7"C here last night. Am I too late to wrap the camellias in
fleece to protect the buds?

Probably a question of better late than never. You have nothing to lose if
you do it. Not all Camellias are frost hardy but most are, once well
established. We've gone down to -6 here without Camellia problems.

Thanks Sacha. None of them have been caught by the sun yet and I've
shaded the one which was just about to be. I've an errand to run and
then I'll get out there and wrap them up.

My experience is most are frost hardy untill the buds show colour, then
they seem to be sensitive to morning sun after a frost
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Sacha 20-12-2007 03:00 PM

is it too late to fleece camellias?

On 20/12/07 12:54, in article
, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

In article , $3o&m
says...
In message , Sacha
writes
On 20/12/07 09:52, in article
, "Si"
$3o&m wrote:

It was -7"C here last night. Am I too late to wrap the camellias in
fleece to protect the buds?

Probably a question of better late than never. You have nothing to lose if
you do it. Not all Camellias are frost hardy but most are, once well
established. We've gone down to -6 here without Camellia problems.

Thanks Sacha. None of them have been caught by the sun yet and I've
shaded the one which was just about to be. I've an errand to run and
then I'll get out there and wrap them up.

My experience is most are frost hardy untill the buds show colour, then
they seem to be sensitive to morning sun after a frost

Yes. That's why the advice is not to plant them facing east. Our neighbour
has one that always loses its buds in very cold weather and for just that
reason.