GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Polytunnels, finishing the ends (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/168109-polytunnels-finishing-ends.html)

Dave P 20-12-2007 11:20 AM

Polytunnels, finishing the ends

Just completing our new tunnel. Info with tunnel has only one sentence on
how to finish the ends. Now ether its very easy or not enough info!

Its 14ft wide and I am wondering if I need to put in pleats or just let it
gather as I tension it then trap it in the battens.

Any tips folks?

Thanks,

Dave

--
"Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is interesting. What they
conceal is vital. "

Cerumen[_3_] 20-12-2007 12:23 PM

"Dave P" wrote in message
Just completing our new tunnel. Info with tunnel has only one sentence on
how to finish the ends. Now ether its very easy or not enough info!

Its 14ft wide and I am wondering if I need to put in pleats or just let it
gather as I tension it then trap it in the battens.

Any tips folks?

It's probably the most awkward part of the whole thing. After trying all
sorts I settled on wrapping it back on itself and taping it and cutting a
semi circle from another roll to use as an end with tape and doors etc.

--
Chris
Ignoti nulla cupido

Liz 20-12-2007 12:24 PM

"Dave P" wrote in message
Just completing our new tunnel. Info with tunnel has only one sentence on
how to finish the ends. Now ether its very easy or not enough info!

Its 14ft wide and I am wondering if I need to put in pleats or just let it
gather as I tension it then trap it in the battens.

Any tips folks?

Thanks,

Dave

When we put our tunnel up we pleated the plastic as we went along. We found it
allowed for a more equal adjustment of the plastic and a neater finish. Try to get
the pleats so that they don't create sags (the lower crease of the plastic) on the
inside of the tunnel as this collects water and dead insects over time, and then you
have a wonderful insect/algal "soup" to clean out later :-( I probably haven't
explained the folding/pleating method very well. The easiest thing to do is go try
"upward" and "downward" folds and then go look on the inside of the polytunnel and
you'll probably see what I'm trying (badly) to explain.

Liz

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 20-12-2007 12:55 PM

Polytunnels, finishing the ends

In article ,
says...
Just completing our new tunnel. Info with tunnel has only one sentence on
how to finish the ends. Now ether its very easy or not enough info!

Its 14ft wide and I am wondering if I need to put in pleats or just let it
gather as I tension it then trap it in the battens.

Any tips folks?

Thanks,

Dave

I pleat ours and use a domestic stapler to hold the pleats together while
I try and roll the cover onto battens.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk