Old 27-12-2007, 09:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Winter salad

I usually try to gro some winter salad to use occasionally when the
lettuce has run out or not too good-I have never found winter lettuce
very appetising.I have been growing red chicory,but this goes mushy as
soon as the winter rains come and it cannot dry.My big success this
year is rocket.I thought that rocket was a summer plant but have
discovered that it is very tough.It seems to stand very hard frosts
(-5C)and come back unscathed,and a little warmth takes it into
growth.My current plants are from seed set in early August (I normally
grow them in modules) and they are brilliant.I also have american
cress and lambs lettuce to give me a nice combination through the
winter.I live in south Manchester.Cheers,Michael
Old 27-12-2007, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
T...
In article be617f5e-21b1-4aac-bea1-
,
says...
I usually try to gro some winter salad to use occasionally when the
lettuce has run out or not too good-I have never found winter lettuce
very appetising.I have been growing red chicory,but this goes mushy as
soon as the winter rains come and it cannot dry.My big success this
year is rocket.I thought that rocket was a summer plant but have
discovered that it is very tough.It seems to stand very hard frosts
(-5C)and come back unscathed,and a little warmth takes it into
growth.My current plants are from seed set in early August (I normally
grow them in modules) and they are brilliant.I also have american
cress and lambs lettuce to give me a nice combination through the
winter.I live in south Manchester.Cheers,Michael

That was very interesting, thanks. I never thought to grow it overwinter
and I quite like rocket.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

I like the winter lettuce, I cut a couple outdoor ones to have at christmas
and they were decent enough. I'm not sure that lettuce is anything very
special at any time without the veg etc that you add to it

Old 12-01-2008, 04:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 01:50:21 -0800 (PST), michael
wrote:

I usually try to gro some winter salad to use occasionally when the
lettuce has run out or not too good-I have never found winter lettuce
very appetising.I have been growing red chicory,but this goes mushy as
soon as the winter rains come and it cannot dry.My big success this
year is rocket.I thought that rocket was a summer plant but have
discovered that it is very tough.It seems to stand very hard frosts
(-5C)and come back unscathed,and a little warmth takes it into
growth.My current plants are from seed set in early August (I normally
grow them in modules) and they are brilliant.I also have american
cress and lambs lettuce to give me a nice combination through the
winter.I live in south Manchester.Cheers,Michael

Hi Michael; a question.
Is the rocket under any cover? Sounds good!

Pam in Bristol
Old 13-01-2008, 12:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27 Dec 2007, 22:51, "Robert \(Plymouth\)"
remove my other hobby to reply
wrote:
I'm not sure that lettuce is anything very
special at any time without the veg etc that you add to it-

Oh you can't say that! Looks like you need a decent vinaigrette with
that!

Old 13-01-2008, 12:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Dec 27 2007, 10:51*pm, "Robert \(Plymouth\)"
wrote:
[...]

special at any time without the veg etc that you add to it- Hide quoted text -

We were cutting our own salad until quite recently, under cover and it
was lovely. I eat salad with every meal, just a green one with a few
drops of olive or walnut oil and balsamic drizzled over it, lovely.
Old 13-01-2008, 03:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27 Dec 2007, 09:50, michael wrote:
..I live in south Manchester.

Me too, Whalley Range )
Old 14-01-2008, 12:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
I usually try to gro some winter salad to use occasionally when the
lettuce has run out or not too good-I have never found winter lettuce
very appetising.I have been growing red chicory,but this goes mushy as
soon as the winter rains come and it cannot dry.My big success this
year is rocket.I thought that rocket was a summer plant but have
discovered that it is very tough.It seems to stand very hard frosts
(-5C)and come back unscathed,and a little warmth takes it into
growth.My current plants are from seed set in early August (I normally
grow them in modules) and they are brilliant.I also have american
cress and lambs lettuce to give me a nice combination through the
winter.I live in south Manchester.Cheers,Michael

Hi Michael; a question.
Is the rocket under any cover? *Sounds good!

Pam in Bristol

Hi Pam,
The rocket is on my allotment and not under cover.We do not get very
hard winters in S.Manchester and certainly this years combination of
frost and rain has not killed the rocket.I picked some yesterday.
Cheers,Michael
Old 14-01-2008, 12:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
michael writes:

| The rocket is on my allotment and not under cover.We do not get very
| hard winters in S.Manchester and certainly this years combination of
| frost and rain has not killed the rocket.I picked some yesterday.

It hasn't killed it in Cambridge, either, and we get harder ones.
Rocket is hardy down to -5, but not to below -10.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.