Old 20-04-2003, 07:45 PM
Mimi De Moratti

Default Humane control of rats

My house is surrounded by livestock and buildings that contain their
straw/hay etc. My house is wooden and I have two sheds in the garden, which
is part woodland. Rats have come in from the fields and took residence in the
compost heap. I have cleared it away but they have tunelled under my house
and sheds. I have a few birdfeeders and a huge amount of visitors but have
special 'escaped seed' catchers underneath for minimal spillage. I have tried
everything to disuade the rats. I don't want to poison them as it is a slow
and painful death, I imagine (or am I wrong?). And I have shrews and a badger
who comes every night. I do worry about my birds' health, under the
circumstances, and the security of their nests. Does anyone know of a humane
way of getting rid of the rats? There are too many now to trap and release
elsewhere. I would really appreciate some help. I've looked at the FAQs but
it wasn't covered.

Old 21-04-2003, 12:23 AM
bnd777

Its people who put out bread etc for the birds that encourage the rats in
the first place
Since it does not assist the birds in finding natural food such people are
thoroughly misguided
Daft thing is you usually find the same people also have 2 or 3 cats that
kill the very birds the owner is feeding

. co.uk...

Old 21-04-2003, 01:11 AM
Essjay001

You're talking about rats. There are more rats than people in this country.
Just kill them and be done with.

Mimi De Moratti scribbled:

Old 21-04-2003, 02:33 PM
Mimi De Moratti

On Sun, 20 Apr 2003 23:13:34 +0100, bnd777 wrote
(in message ):

Its people who put out bread etc for the birds that encourage the rats in
the first place
Since it does not assist the birds in finding natural food such people are
thoroughly misguided

What a strange philosophy! I suppose the millions of people who help birds
through the winter and the breeding season, when putting food out can mean
the difference between life and death for small birds, are all misguided, as
are the BTO and the RSPB? I suppose we should just let them all starve when
it snows or the ground is frozen for weeks.

Birds who use feeders also forrage normally for insects etc., so your
argument does not wash.

It is a pleasure to feed the birds and have them keep my garden pest free in
return.

Daft thing is you usually find the same people also have 2 or 3 cats that
kill the very birds the owner is feeding

I don't like cats and do not tolerate them anywhere near my garden.

Old 21-04-2003, 02:33 PM
Mimi De Moratti

On Mon, 21 Apr 2003 0:06:39 +0100, Essjay001 wrote
(in message ):

[...]

Not terribly helpful that. I was asking for advice on the least unpleasant
way of doing it. Just because there are a lot of them it doesn't mean they
don't feel pain and I don't wish to inflict unecessary suffering on another
living creature.

Old 21-04-2003, 04:13 PM
Dave Liquorice

On Mon, 21 Apr 2003 10:48:06 +0100, Mimi De Moratti wrote:

Not terribly helpful that. I was asking for advice on the least
unpleasant way of doing it. Just because there are a lot of them it
doesn't mean they don't feel pain and I don't wish to inflict
unecessary suffering on another living creature.

Ah, I sort of got the impression that you, personally, didn't want to
do the killing. I suspect that live capture and a well aimed, good
hard whack on the head/neck whilst holding (*) the rat so you don't
miss is about as quick as your going to get.

The traditional break back trap is also pretty quick but 100% in a
kill. Sometimes the rat only gets caught by a leg or tail, it'll then
gnaw that bit of its anatomy off to escape.

(*) Haven't a clue how one would hold a rat whilst administering the
fatal blow. I guess if you have a wire cage type trap you could use
sticks to trap it an one end then shoot it with an air pistol at point
blank range.

--
Cheers
Dave. Remove "spam" for valid email.

Old 21-04-2003, 07:09 PM
Essjay001

Mimi De Moratti scribbled:

On Sun, 20 Apr 2003 23:13:34 +0100, bnd777 wrote
(in message ):

Its people who put out bread etc for the birds that encourage the
rats in the first place
Since it does not assist the birds in finding natural food such
people are thoroughly misguided

What a strange philosophy!

No it's not continous feeding of wild birds throughout the year is
interfereing with nature

I suppose the millions of people who help
birds through the winter

That's different!

and the breeding season,

Birds begin their breeding season to coincide with times when food is
plentyful

when putting food
out can mean the difference between life and death for small birds,

as I said birds normally breed when food is plentyful

are all misguided, as are the BTO and the RSPB? I suppose we should
just let them all starve when it snows or the ground is frozen for
weeks.

Did you read this befor you posted it.

Birds who use feeders also forrage normally for insects etc., so your
argument does not wash.

Sorry but there you may be wrong. Birds that frequent bird feeders are seed
eaters. Whilst I would not argue that they may from time to time eat insects
they do not "normally forage for insects".

It is a pleasure to feed the birds and have them keep my garden pest
free in return.

Surely while you are feeding them they have no inclination to strip your
garden.

Daft thing is you usually find the same people also have 2 or 3 cats
that kill the very birds the owner is feeding

I don't like cats and do not tolerate them anywhere near my garden.

And you believe that because you don't like them that they don't come near
your garden?

Steve R

Old 21-04-2003, 07:09 PM
Essjay001

Mimi De Moratti scribbled:

On Mon, 21 Apr 2003 0:06:39 +0100, Essjay001 wrote
(in message ):

You're talking about rats. There are more rats than people in this
country. Just kill them and be done with.

Not terribly helpful that. I was asking for advice on the least
unpleasant way of doing it. Just because there are a lot of them it
doesn't mean they don't feel pain and I don't wish to inflict
unecessary suffering on another living creature.

I wouldn't mind betting that if they were nibbling at your toes while you
slept you wouldn't be so soft.

Maybe you should relocate to another planet!

Old 21-04-2003, 07:21 PM
Alan Holmes

[...]

You trap them and kill them, if you try to relocate them they will be back
in your
home before you are, they are vermin and the only way to control them is by
killing them.

Alan

Old 21-04-2003, 08:32 PM
Malcolm

In article , Essjay001
writes
Mimi De Moratti scribbled:

On Sun, 20 Apr 2003 23:13:34 +0100, bnd777 wrote
(in message ):

Its people who put out bread etc for the birds that encourage the
rats in the first place
Since it does not assist the birds in finding natural food such
people are thoroughly misguided

What a strange philosophy!

No it's not continous feeding of wild birds throughout the year is
interfereing with nature

It is no more interfering with nature to feed them in the summer than it
is in the winter.

I suppose the millions of people who help
birds through the winter

That's different!

and the breeding season,

Birds begin their breeding season to coincide with times when food is
plentyful

True, but there is absolutely no harm, and potentially a lot of good, in
making even more food available.

when putting food
out can mean the difference between life and death for small birds,

as I said birds normally breed when food is plentyful

See above.

are all misguided, as are the BTO and the RSPB? I suppose we should
just let them all starve when it snows or the ground is frozen for
weeks.

Did you read this befor you posted it.

Birds who use feeders also forrage normally for insects etc., so your
argument does not wash.

Sorry but there you may be wrong. Birds that frequent bird feeders are seed
eaters. Whilst I would not argue that they may from time to time eat insects
they do not "normally forage for insects".

Err, just not true. Indeed, nonsense! Birds which frequent my bird table
include Dunnock, Robin, Blackbird, Song Thrush, Chaffinch, House
Sparrow, Starling, Blue Tit and Great Tit, all of which "forage for
insects". Indeed about the only exception is the Greenfinch and even
that takes a few invertebrates.

It is a pleasure to feed the birds and have them keep my garden pest
free in return.

Surely while you are feeding them they have no inclination to strip your
garden.

You clearly don't understand the point being made :-(

--
Malcolm

Old 22-04-2003, 01:32 AM
Alan Holmes

[...]

Drown them, it's quick and because it's quick they only suffer for a few
seconds.

A lot better than starving them or using warfarin.

You should treat vermin as vermin.

Alan

Old 22-04-2003, 05:32 PM
Essjay001

Alan Holmes scribbled:

Drown them, it's quick and because it's quick they only suffer for a
few seconds.

A lot better than starving them or using warfarin.

You should treat vermin as vermin.

Right on the button!