GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Rhubarb (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/170025-rhubarb.html)

Chris J Potts 01-01-2008 08:18 PM

Rhubarb

Hello all,

We have just moved to Manchester area and have acquired an allotment.
It is devoid of rhubarb, and my first thought was to dig up some from
our old garden. Is this a good idea, or are there some newer better
more tasty variates now available?

Thanks for any help,

Chris Potts

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 02-01-2008 10:55 AM

Rhubarb

In article ,
says...
Hello all,

We have just moved to Manchester area and have acquired an allotment.
It is devoid of rhubarb, and my first thought was to dig up some from
our old garden. Is this a good idea, or are there some newer better
more tasty variates now available?

Thanks for any help,

Chris Potts

A bit from a friend will certainly give you a crop but you will be amazed
if you can get your hands on some certified virus free stock!
I think one of the RHS gardens has a collection of Rhubarb and I seem to
remember an article a few years back on their relative tastyness alas
can't remember the variety names
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Stewart Robert Hinsley 02-01-2008 11:57 AM

Rhubarb

In message , Charlie
Pridham writes
In article ,
says...
Hello all,

We have just moved to Manchester area and have acquired an allotment.
It is devoid of rhubarb, and my first thought was to dig up some from
our old garden. Is this a good idea, or are there some newer better
more tasty variates now available?

Thanks for any help,

Chris Potts

A bit from a friend will certainly give you a crop but you will be amazed
if you can get your hands on some certified virus free stock!
I think one of the RHS gardens has a collection of Rhubarb and I seem to
remember an article a few years back on their relative tastyness alas
can't remember the variety names

I don't know about the RHS gardens, but Tatton Park has an extensive
collection of rhubarb varieties.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 02-01-2008 02:35 PM

Rhubarb

In article ,
says...
[...]

That's probebly me miss remembering!

Stewart Robert Hinsley 02-01-2008 09:10 PM

Rhubarb

[...]

No, you're right. Tatton Park has 40 varieties, Harlow Carr 130. (Google
is my friend.)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

cliff_the_gardener 03-01-2008 04:51 PM

Rhubarb

The collections at Harlow Carr where dug up a few years ago to make
way for the path to the Garden's Through Time. The collections there
are no longer on public view. I believe the where moved to Wisley.
Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire

Sacha 03-01-2008 05:08 PM

Rhubarb

On 3/1/08 16:51, in article
,
"cliff_the_gardener" wrote:

The collections at Harlow Carr where dug up a few years ago to make
way for the path to the Garden's Through Time. The collections there
are no longer on public view. I believe the where moved to Wisley.
Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire

Would what was the HDRA have any?
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

[email protected] 03-01-2008 05:24 PM

Rhubarb

On 1 Jan, 20:18, Chris J Potts wrote:
Hello all,

We have just moved to Manchester area and have acquired an allotment.
It is devoid of rhubarb, and my first thought was to dig up some from
our old garden. *Is this a good idea, or are there some newer better
more tasty variates now available?

Hiya Chris. Where's your lotty? Mine is in Chorlton (Scott Avenue).
I've got this huge rhubarb to move. Do you want half?

Sacha 03-01-2008 05:26 PM

Rhubarb

On 3/1/08 17:15, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 17:08:59 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

On 3/1/08 16:51, in article
,
"cliff_the_gardener" wrote:

The collections at Harlow Carr where dug up a few years ago to make
way for the path to the Garden's Through Time. The collections there
are no longer on public view. I believe the where moved to Wisley.
Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire

Would what was the HDRA have any?

That's easy for you to ask?

??

[email protected] 03-01-2008 05:40 PM

Rhubarb

On 1 Jan, 20:18, Chris J Potts wrote:
Hello all,

We have just moved to Manchester area and have acquired an allotment.
It is devoid of rhubarb, and my first thought was to dig up some from
our old garden. *Is this a good idea, or are there some newer better
more tasty variates now available?

ps. ours is a victoria - not very red but huge (3/4 ft long) and
really tasty. The bestest I've tasted is the old Olroyd grown in
Wakefield which is the champagne variety (from the yorkshire rhubarb
triangle). The next festival is on the 7th adn 8th March - they do
candle lit tours of the sheds. Might have a look myself ;o)

Chris J Potts 03-01-2008 08:26 PM

Rhubarb

wrote:
On 1 Jan, 20:18, Chris J Potts wrote:
Hello all,

We have just moved to Manchester area and have acquired an allotment.
It is devoid of rhubarb, and my first thought was to dig up some from
our old garden. Is this a good idea, or are there some newer better
more tasty variates now available?

Hiya Chris. Where's your lotty? Mine is in Chorlton (Scott Avenue).
I've got this huge rhubarb to move. Do you want half?

Hello Helene,

Ours is in Partington, though our son has one in Chorlton, I can't
remember which site; I did not know there was more than one.

Thanks for the offer of a root. I wanted to find out if there where
different varieties, and I am due a birthday present, so a loved one has
ordered me an early, a mid season and a late variety, someone else will
probably have to buy us another deep freeze. So thanks for the offer.

All the best,

Chris Potts

[email protected] 03-01-2008 09:04 PM

Rhubarb

On 3 Jan, 20:26, Chris J Potts wrote:
Hello Helene,
Ours is in Partington, though our son has one in Chorlton, I can't
remember which site; I did not know there was more than one.

Well yes - there's 3, Scott Avenue (outside the swiming bath), a
'private' one off Nell Lane and one on Cleveley's Avenue (where
there's a community permaculture allotment).

Thanks for the offer of a root. *I wanted to find out if there where
different varieties, and I am due a birthday present, so a loved one has
ordered me an early, a mid season and a late variety, someone else will
probably have to buy us another deep freeze. *So thanks for the offer.

You're spoilt!! Good luck with it.

Chris J Potts 03-01-2008 09:19 PM

Rhubarb

wrote:
On 3 Jan, 20:26, Chris J Potts wrote:
Hello Helene,
Ours is in Partington, though our son has one in Chorlton, I can't
remember which site; I did not know there was more than one.

Well yes - there's 3, Scott Avenue (outside the swiming bath), a
'private' one off Nell Lane and one on Cleveley's Avenue (where
there's a community permaculture allotment).

Thanks for the offer of a root. I wanted to find out if there where
different varieties, and I am due a birthday present, so a loved one has
ordered me an early, a mid season and a late variety, someone else will
probably have to buy us another deep freeze. So thanks for the offer.

You're spoilt!! Good luck with it.

I am aren't I! Looking on Google Earth our lads allotment is reached
via Halstead Avenue off Ivygreen Road.

All the best,

Chris

Sacha 03-01-2008 10:57 PM

Rhubarb

On 3/1/08 17:33, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 17:26:33 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

On 3/1/08 17:15, in article
,
"Martin" wrote:

On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 17:08:59 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

On 3/1/08 16:51, in article
,
"cliff_the_gardener" wrote:

The collections at Harlow Carr where dug up a few years ago to make
way for the path to the Garden's Through Time. The collections there
are no longer on public view. I believe the where moved to Wisley.
Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire

Would what was the HDRA have any?

That's easy for you to ask?

??

I thought it was a follow up to "the where moved". I've now unscrambled what
you
meant. :-)

Ah, sorry - I was a bit convoluted there, I must admit!

[email protected] 04-01-2008 03:29 PM

Rhubarb

On 3 Jan, 21:19, Chris J Potts wrote:
I am aren't I! *Looking on Google Earth our lads allotment is reached
via Halstead Avenue off Ivygreen Road.

Wahey! Know it well - absolutely gorgeous site. Like ours, no vacancy
- 40 on the waiting list. It's so sad. They've got a fine website too,
managed by Martin (see below). I go on Beech Road a lot, there's a
fabulous restaurant, the Lead Station and I've got lots of friends
there. We've decided not to do a website for ours, too many older
folks with no access to computers. I run a newsletter instead - which
I really enjoy. All the best.

http://www.amas.org.uk/