GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Garden Burial (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/170148-garden-burial.html)

Dave Hill 05-01-2008 02:09 PM

Garden Burial

Assuming that you had permission to bury Granny (or wherever) in the
Garden, and that the foxes didn't dig her up again.
What plant would you plant over them to use all that great plant food
that will be available for the next 10 years or so
Or what would you want planted over you of it was your grave?

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries?

MikeCT 05-01-2008 02:39 PM

Garden Burial

"Dave Hill" asked:
....what would you want planted over you if it was your grave?

Two or three mature Dracunculus vulgaris would do nicely.

MikeCT

[email protected] 05-01-2008 04:04 PM

Garden Burial

On 5 Jan, 14:09, Dave Hill wrote:
Assuming that you had permission to bury Granny (or wherever) in the
Garden, and that the foxes didn't dig her up again.
What plant would you plant over them to use all that great plant food
that will be available for the next 10 years or so
Or what would you want planted over you of it was your grave?

I wouldn't mind being tickled by the roots of a magnificent
Cercidiphyllum japonicum :o)

Sacha 05-01-2008 04:12 PM

Garden Burial

On 5/1/08 14:09, in article
, "Dave
Hill" wrote:

Assuming that you had permission to bury Granny (or wherever) in the
Garden, and that the foxes didn't dig her up again.
What plant would you plant over them to use all that great plant food
that will be available for the next 10 years or so
Or what would you want planted over you of it was your grave?

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries?

A copper beech, I think. I'll probably thing of 6 other things in a few
minutes! ;-)

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Bob Hobden 05-01-2008 04:32 PM

Garden Burial

"Dave Hill" wrote
Assuming that you had permission to bury Granny (or wherever) in the
Garden, and that the foxes didn't dig her up again.
What plant would you plant over them to use all that great plant food
that will be available for the next 10 years or so
Or what would you want planted over you of it was your grave?

Mandrake. (Mandragora officinarum).
That should put them off moving me :-)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Saxman 05-01-2008 06:32 PM

Garden Burial

Dave Hill wrote:
Assuming that you had permission to bury Granny (or wherever) in the
Garden, and that the foxes didn't dig her up again.
What plant would you plant over them to use all that great plant food
that will be available for the next 10 years or so
Or what would you want planted over you of it was your grave?

I think mushrooms or toadstools would grow naturally from my
Mother-In-Law's grave, but they would probably be poisonous if they were
intended for me.

someone 05-01-2008 09:38 PM

Garden Burial

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
Assuming that you had permission to bury Granny (or wherever) in the
Garden, and that the foxes didn't dig her up again.
What plant would you plant over them to use all that great plant food
that will be available for the next 10 years or so
Or what would you want planted over you of it was your grave?

Hamlet, Act IV, Scene V:

Ophelia: There's rosemary, that's for remembrance.

someone

Kate Morgan 05-01-2008 10:30 PM

Garden Burial

Assuming that you had permission to bury Granny (or wherever) in the
Garden, and that the foxes didn't dig her up again.
What plant would you plant over them to use all that great plant food
that will be available for the next 10 years or so
Or what would you want planted over you of it was your grave?

Hamlet, Act IV, Scene V:

Ophelia: There's rosemary, that's for remembrance.

Honesty would be good

[email protected] 05-01-2008 10:46 PM

Garden Burial

On 5 Jan, 14:09, Dave Hill wrote:

Or what would you want planted over you of it was your grave?

Apple trees.

Orchards are immune to compulsory purchase for road schemes, as far as
I recall.

Dave Hill 06-01-2008 08:53 PM

Garden Burial

On 5 Jan, 22:46, wrote:
On 5 Jan, 14:09, Dave Hill wrote:

Or what would you want planted over you of it was your grave?

Apple trees.

Orchards are immune to compulsory purchase for road schemes, as far as
I recall.

If I had the space I'd go for a Lebanon Cedar or giant red wood, but
with less space here I'd want a mountain ash as it would take our
weather, gales and all.
I do have 2 cats planted by my Corkscrew Hazel which is now over 30
years old and has been moved 4 times in its life, but there is no way
it would move now.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries.