Old 13-01-2008, 03:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Finally got our mole

Hi
We have had a mole for years. The problem was when it began going
under the lawn. I bought lawn edging to try to stop it but it
burrowed under that. I tried garlic, no good. I tried putting a
buzzing alarm in its burrow that didn't work. I bought a humane mole
trap and it burrowed at the side of it. Finally my husband dealt with
the mole and I asked no questions as to what he did, but it's gone.
Old 13-01-2008, 03:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
Hi
We have had a mole for years. The problem was when it began going
under the lawn. I bought lawn edging to try to stop it but it
burrowed under that. I tried garlic, no good. I tried putting a
buzzing alarm in its burrow that didn't work. I bought a humane mole
trap and it burrowed at the side of it. Finally my husband dealt with
the mole and I asked no questions as to what he did, but it's gone.

:-(((

That one has.

You will now see and advert on the 'Mole Times'..... "One garden to let.
Vacant Possession"

Mike

Old 13-01-2008, 03:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 13, 2:24�pm, "'Mike'" wrote:
wrote in message

Hi
We have had a mole for years. �The problem was when it began going
under the lawn. �I bought lawn edging to try to stop it but it
burrowed under that. �I tried garlic, no good. �I tried putting a
buzzing alarm in its burrow that didn't work. �I bought a humane mole
trap and it burrowed at the side of it. �Finally my husband dealt with
the mole and I asked no questions as to what he did, but it's gone.

:-(((

That one has.

You will now see and advert on the 'Mole Times'..... "One garden to let.
Vacant Possession"

Mike

--www.rneba.org.uk. The Royal Naval Electrical Branch Association.
'THE' Association to find your ex-Greenie mess mates.www.iowtours.comfor all ex-Service Reunions. More being added regularly

Do you know anything about moles because I must admit it scares me to
think another one will come and we will be back to square one? Much
as I don't like to be cruel it was making such a mess, and there's a
field at the bottom of the garden it could have dug there to its
hearts desire.
Old 13-01-2008, 03:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13 Jan, 14:30, wrote:
*Much
as I don't like to be cruel it was making such a mess, and there's a
field at the bottom of the garden it could have dug there to its
hearts desire.

It occured to me that perhaps the 'mess' might be used to good benefit
- the earth that the moles bring up is very thin and 'worked'. Perhaps
you could use this as a potting mix? Anybody did this?
Old 13-01-2008, 03:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
On Jan 13, 2:24?pm, "'Mike'" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

.................................................. .........................

I know nothing about them except that when we lived in the country and had a
big garden we got them too :-((

What I did notice and I have never seen anyone else say the same thing, is
that they 'moved' from West to East.

We just put up with them and cleared the earth mounds. The trouble is the
tunnels underneath and the uneven surface :-((

""Leave them alone and they will go home"" Someone else's if possible :-(

Mike

Old 13-01-2008, 03:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/1/08 14:17, in article
,
" wrote:

Hi
We have had a mole for years. The problem was when it began going
under the lawn. I bought lawn edging to try to stop it but it
burrowed under that. I tried garlic, no good. I tried putting a
buzzing alarm in its burrow that didn't work. I bought a humane mole
trap and it burrowed at the side of it. Finally my husband dealt with
the mole and I asked no questions as to what he did, but it's gone.

We're surrounded by fields and have a churchyard bordering the garden.
Moles come to us with monotonous regularity and my husband puts down traps
for them. We have to do it because otherwise the lawn becomes dangerous as
it undulates over the mole runs! That's damage enough but the worst is when
they get under shrubs and leave the roots dangling in air. You know nothing
about this until the thing keels over!
I'm afraid that once you get moles, you've got moles, if you see what I
mean. They are no respecter of persons. We can go months without a sign of
them and then wake up one morning to find several mounds on the lawn. The
funny things is that there are 4 lawns here and they seem to choose only one
- the biggest and most visible from the house, naturally.
Whatever your husband did worked, so in future, he may have to do it again.
If it's any consolation to you, it's perfectly possible that you have only
one mole because they're solitary animals and become fierce and aggressive
when they encounter each other. They eat half their own weight in worms and
insects every day, so they have to work hard for that and they can shift
about 10lbs of earth in 15 minutes or so - powerful little brutes.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 13-01-2008, 03:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

says...
On 13 Jan, 14:30, wrote:
*Much
as I don't like to be cruel it was making such a mess, and there's a
field at the bottom of the garden it could have dug there to its
hearts desire.

It occured to me that perhaps the 'mess' might be used to good benefit
- the earth that the moles bring up is very thin and 'worked'. Perhaps
you could use this as a potting mix? Anybody did this?

That is the only consolation I've had from moles. The fine
soil from the hills mixed 50:50 with sharp sand make good
potting compost.

I think I've got rid of Mr Mole in our main lawn. I'm not
telling how because it could potentially be dangerous if
someone tried to do the same without extreme care and
attention. It may not even be legal in the UK either.

I expect it will only be a matter of time before the mole
lease hold becomes occupied again, so getting rid of moles
is likely to be an ongoing job. Hopefully not too
frequently though.

I've not found that plant you suggested yet - we had a look
in the local garden centre and could find neither the plant
or seeds for it. I'll keep a look out though - if it deters
moles from the flower beds that at least would be
something.
--
David in Normandy
Old 13-01-2008, 04:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha says...
Moles come to us with monotonous regularity and my husband puts down traps
for them.

Which sort of traps does he use? Any tips on using them?

--
David in Normandy
Old 13-01-2008, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
Hi
We have had a mole for years. The problem was when it began going
under the lawn. I bought lawn edging to try to stop it but it
burrowed under that. I tried garlic, no good. I tried putting a
buzzing alarm in its burrow that didn't work. I bought a humane mole
trap and it burrowed at the side of it. Finally my husband dealt with
the mole and I asked no questions as to what he did, but it's gone.

Found this on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Solar-Powered-...QQcmdZViewItem

or search on item: 270200806303

It is a mole repellent and the blurb suggests using it to drive moles into
traps. I've no idea if it is any good.

mark

Old 13-01-2008, 04:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13 Jan, 14:58, David in Normandy wrote:
That is the only consolation I've had from moles. The fine
soil from the hills mixed 50:50 with sharp sand make good
potting compost.

Oh lucky lucky you!! Going through Normandie in August on our way to
Tours (a village called Veuil), might pop over for a cuppa! ;o)

I've not found that plant you suggested yet - we had a look
in the local garden centre and could find neither the plant
or seeds for it. I'll keep a look out though - if it deters
moles from the flower beds that at least would be
something.

In Jardin du pic vert, I've found the incarvillee rose and the
euphorbia lathyris, the latter seem to be the one everyone is using!
I've also attached a link to the Page Jaunes in Normandie with lots of
pepinieristes - I don't know where you are there exactly.

http://www.jardindupicvert.com/4DACT...artner/--.2409

http://www.pagesjaunes.fr/trouverles...rtail=overture

Old 13-01-2008, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/1/08 15:03, in article ,
"David in Normandy" wrote:

Sacha says...
Moles come to us with monotonous regularity and my husband puts down traps
for them.

Which sort of traps does he use? Any tips on using them?

He uses those sort of scissor action ones, claw traps is the proper name, I
think. He says he digs carefully into the run and inserts the trap in line
with the run and then he covers the run over again.

Old 13-01-2008, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 13, 3:48*pm, Sacha wrote:
On 13/1/08 15:03, in article ,
"David in Normandy" wrote:

Sacha says...
Moles come to us with monotonous regularity and my husband puts down traps
for them.

Which sort of traps does he use? Any tips on using them?

He uses those sort of scissor action ones, claw traps is the proper name, I
think. *He says he digs carefully into the run and inserts the trap in line
with the run and then he covers the run over again.
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove weeds from address)
children.'

That's what the Mole Catcher Extraordinaire, Jane Ransom used to
advise, she told me to dirty my hands first so that they couldn't
smell me - I didn't catch a mole, except the time I killed one with my
handbag, do you remember?
Old 13-01-2008, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/1/08 16:57, in article
,
"judith.lea" wrote:

On Jan 13, 3:48*pm, Sacha wrote:
On 13/1/08 15:03, in article ,
"David in Normandy" wrote:

Sacha says...
Moles come to us with monotonous regularity and my husband puts down traps
for them.

Which sort of traps does he use? Any tips on using them?

He uses those sort of scissor action ones, claw traps is the proper name, I
think. *He says he digs carefully into the run and inserts the trap in line
with the run and then he covers the run over again.
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove weeds from address)
children.'

That's what the Mole Catcher Extraordinaire, Jane Ransom used to
advise, she told me to dirty my hands first so that they couldn't
smell me - I didn't catch a mole, except the time I killed one with my
handbag, do you remember?

A HANDBAG! No, I don't remember that - tell! I remember Jane was a demon
with the mole catching and she also got very cross with people who used to
catch them humanely and then release them in the wild to become a nuisance
to someone else!

Old 13-01-2008, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I didn't catch a mole, except the time I killed one with my
handbag, do you remember?

Mrs Thatcher always had a handbag with her, a black one if I remember right.
She killed Great Britain :-((

Kind regards

Mike