Old 13-01-2008, 06:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Peach bogglement

My peche de vigne still has its leaves on. Are peaches really
evergreen?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 13-01-2008, 07:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13 Jan, 18:34, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
My peche de vigne still has its leaves on. *Are peaches really
evergreen?

No. I can't think of any (thinking of peche plate, brugnon, nectarine
etc... plus your variety peche de vigne) all leaves fall in the
autumn. Do you grow yours indoor?
Old 14-01-2008, 11:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13 Jan, 21:19, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
Indeed not - and this is Cambridge - we have had several minor frosts
(none below -5 but below -2).

As far as I can remember, I see the trees in my uncles's garden
totally bare in the winter - though they do flower early, beginning of
March. We have some weird weather at the moment and I wouldn't be
surprise it's something to do with it. You would know if you had a
disease on the leaves, wouldn't you - but I found out that when 'la
cloque', the leaf curl, strikes, it also does it in the autumn, on the
red leaves and the leaves not necessarily fall. The variey you have is
very hardy and strong - they grew amongst the vignards to help with
the timing of picking up the grapes. Is yours older than 7 years old?
Do you have lots of peach on it? Have you pruned it recently? (very
jealous here ...).
Old 14-01-2008, 11:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
writes:

| Indeed not - and this is Cambridge - we have had several minor frosts
| (none below -5 but below -2).
|
| As far as I can remember, I see the trees in my uncles's garden
| totally bare in the winter - though they do flower early, beginning of
| March. We have some weird weather at the moment and I wouldn't be
| surprise it's something to do with it. You would know if you had a
| disease on the leaves, wouldn't you - but I found out that when 'la
| cloque', the leaf curl, strikes, it also does it in the autumn, on the
| red leaves and the leaves not necessarily fall. The variey you have is
| very hardy and strong - they grew amongst the vignards to help with
| the timing of picking up the grapes. Is yours older than 7 years old?
| Do you have lots of peach on it? Have you pruned it recently? (very
| jealous here ...).

It is one year old, grown from some seeds we picked up in Languedoc!
The leaves are fine, and have not pruned it at all (it currently has
several thin shoots). I have not had any peaches, obviously :-)

From what I have found on the Web, it is the peach equivalent of the
bullace - i.e. more-or-less the variety imported to Europe by the
neolithic farmers. I am hoping that means it is as tough as old
boots!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 14-01-2008, 01:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14 Jan, 11:40, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
It is one year old, grown from some seeds we picked up in Languedoc!
The leaves are fine, and have not pruned it at all (it currently has
several thin shoots). *I have not had any peaches, obviously :-)

From what I have found on the Web, it is the peach equivalent of the
bullace - i.e. more-or-less the variety imported to Europe by the
neolithic farmers. *I am hoping that means it is as tough as old
boots!

Oh yes it is. I think it's having a tantrum with the warm weather
we're having. You won't see peach on it for several years, but perhaps
in less than 5 years if you're lucky. They do seem to shoot back from
the base after around 7 years (where they put all their energy and
forget to fruit at the top) and I wondered if yours was preparing to
do this. Obvsiously not. I am tempted to see if I can find some seeds
on the edge of germination amongst the vignes this summer to bring
back. Thank you for the reminders of the delicious smells and the
sweet summer days coming our way soon ... )
Old 15-01-2008, 11:23 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

I still have a few leaves left on my peach, a normal eating peach being grown in a very sheltered location against the house wall in the hills of Buckinghamshire. They are on a new shoot which appeared late in the season quite low down in a sheltered position. It is grown against a house wall in a sheltered corner, so it might not have experienced much of a frost.

I am aware that stone fruit requires a certain minimum chilling in order to fruit well. With last winter being very mild, I wonder if that is why my stone fruit didn't do very well last year. No damsons, few plums, and only a couple of peaches. We have had a lot more frosts than last year, although the weather in between has been very mild. My blueberry has been in flower continuously since November. A rhodie that normally flowers in March decided to flower in December, though then got caught out by the frost. Etc.