Old 22-01-2008, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Can you eat perpetual sweet peas?

This year I'm hopefully going to grow peas. But as a crop, I gather
they have their problems! Mice eat the seeds, slugs & snails eat the
shoots and leaves, the plants flop over, they get covered in aphids,
birds peck the flowers, and finally pigeons eat all the pods before you
get a chance to harvest anything. If by some miracle, you manage to
avoid all those hazards, you get a small crop for the amount of space.

Ok, I'm sure it's not as bad as all that, but it did get me thinking: I
have an ancient perpetual sweet pea plant that grows up through some
honeysuckle at the corner of my front porch. It's been there as long as
we've had the house (over 15 years) and it's more or less been left to
fend for itself for most of that time.

But left to its own devices, it romps away every year, growing 8 foot
tall (as well as into the rest of the flower bed and over the lawn if we
let it) and has masses of flowers that turn into masses of pods (when it
doesn't get deadheaded). It doesn't really seem to suffer from slugs,
aphids, birds or any sort of disease either.

So my questions: can you eat perpetual sweet peas? As mangetout, sugar
snaps or shelled peas? Do I want to?

Peter
Old 22-01-2008, 11:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Peter Robinson
writes

So my questions: can you eat perpetual sweet peas? As mangetout, sugar
snaps or shelled peas? Do I want to?

"Although no records of toxicity have been found for this plant, the
seed of some species in this genus contain a toxic amino acid that can
cause a severe disease of the nervous system known as 'lathyrism' if
they are eaten in large amounts (although small quantities are said to
be nutritious)[65, 76]. Great caution is advised."

http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants....rus+latifolius

"Toxic to mammals"

http://www.evergreen.ca/nativeplants...t.php?ID=06412
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 22-01-2008, 11:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/1/08 22:52, in article ,
"Peter Robinson" wrote:

[...]

The peas we eat are Pisum sativum, the sweepeas which bear the flowers we
enjoy are Lathyrus sativus which can be very poisonous unless eaten in a
particularly careful fashion.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 23-01-2008, 11:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22 Jan, 22:52, (Peter Robinson) wrote:
So my questions: can you eat perpetual sweet peas? *As mangetout, sugar
snaps or shelled peas? *Do I want to?

I have one cascading every year over the fence onto the street and as
much as I have thought and researched the edibility of all the 200
plus plants I grow, beleive me I have never thought of eating this
sweet pea! Somehow it has never crossed my mind and I wouldn't. The
peas are very small, the pods are hairy and instinctively it has never
appealed to me ;o)
Old 23-01-2008, 11:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23 Jan, 11:09, wrote:
On 22 Jan, 22:52, (Peter Robinson) wrote:

So my questions: can you eat perpetual sweet peas? *As mangetout, sugar
snaps or shelled peas? *Do I want to?

I have one cascading every year over the fence onto the street and as
much as I have thought and researched the edibility of all the 200
plus plants I grow, beleive me I have never thought of eating this
sweet pea! Somehow it has never crossed my mind and I wouldn't. The
peas are very small, the pods are hairy and instinctively it has never
appealed to me ;o)

Rectification ... the pods are not hairy, at least on my perpetual
sweet peas. I collect pods and I was thinking of the wisteria! But
still, don't eat them ;o)

Old 24-01-2008, 11:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

In message , Peter Robinson
writes

So my questions: can you eat perpetual sweet peas? As mangetout, sugar
snaps or shelled peas? Do I want to?

"Although no records of toxicity have been found for this plant, the
seed of some species in this genus contain a toxic amino acid that can
cause a severe disease of the nervous system known as 'lathyrism' if
they are eaten in large amounts (although small quantities are said to
be nutritious)[65, 76]. Great caution is advised."

Boo - you're no fun :-)

Reading around the web I can't find anything authoritative looking that
says lathryrism can be caused by lathyrus
latifolius as such. E.g.

"Lathyrism is a disorder caused by long-term and excessive consumption
of the grass pea Lathyrus sativus (Leguminosae). Sometimes other
Lathyrus species are involved: L. odoratus, L. cicera, L. ochrus, L.
clymenum."
http://www.itg.be/itg/DistanceLearni...EndenE/47_Medi
cal_problems_caused_by_plantsp11.htm

Better still
"Diets, which contain over 30% of this dal over a period of 2-6 months,
will result in neurolathyrism."
"The toxin in lathyrus seed has been identified. It penetrates the
blood-brain barrier. It can easily be removed from the dal by simply
soaking the seeds in hot water and rejecting the water in which it is
soaked."
http://www.health-disease.org/neurology-disorders/lathyrism.htm

But even so, I don't think I'll be trying it.

Shame!

Peter
Old 24-01-2008, 11:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:

On 22/1/08 22:52, in article ,
"Peter Robinson" wrote:

So my questions: can you eat perpetual sweet peas?

The peas we eat are Pisum sativum, the sweepeas which bear the flowers we
enjoy are Lathyrus sativus which can be very poisonous unless eaten in a
particularly careful fashion.

I didn't realise they aren't even the same genus. Oh well, back to
fending off the mice & pigeons then.

Peter
Old 24-01-2008, 11:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

On 23 Jan, 11:09, wrote:
On 22 Jan, 22:52, (Peter Robinson) wrote:

So my questions: can you eat perpetual sweet peas? As mangetout, sugar
snaps or shelled peas? Do I want to?

I have one cascading every year over the fence onto the street and as
much as I have thought and researched the edibility of all the 200
plus plants I grow, beleive me I have never thought of eating this
sweet pea! Somehow it has never crossed my mind and I wouldn't. The
peas are very small, the pods are hairy and instinctively it has never
appealed to me ;o)

Rectification ... the pods are not hairy, at least on my perpetual
sweet peas. I collect pods and I was thinking of the wisteria! But
still, don't eat them ;o)

Not fair - they're called peas, so they should be edible

Anyway, nothinng wrong with a bit of hair - you could call runner bean
pods hairy

Peter
Old 24-01-2008, 11:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/1/08 23:26, in article ,
"Peter Robinson" wrote:

Sacha wrote:

On 22/1/08 22:52, in article ,
"Peter Robinson" wrote:

So my questions: can you eat perpetual sweet peas?

The peas we eat are Pisum sativum, the sweepeas which bear the flowers we
enjoy are Lathyrus sativus which can be very poisonous unless eaten in a
particularly careful fashion.

I didn't realise they aren't even the same genus. Oh well, back to
fending off the mice & pigeons then.

;-) They're called sweet peas because they smell sweet and the pods bear a
resemblance to edible peas, Pisum. Would you eat lupin pods, for example?
I do hope not!

Old 25-01-2008, 12:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Peter Robinson
writes
wrote:

On 23 Jan, 11:09, wrote:
On 22 Jan, 22:52, (Peter Robinson) wrote:

So my questions: can you eat perpetual sweet peas? As mangetout, sugar
snaps or shelled peas? Do I want to?

I have one cascading every year over the fence onto the street and as
much as I have thought and researched the edibility of all the 200
plus plants I grow, beleive me I have never thought of eating this
sweet pea! Somehow it has never crossed my mind and I wouldn't. The
peas are very small, the pods are hairy and instinctively it has never
appealed to me ;o)

Rectification ... the pods are not hairy, at least on my perpetual
sweet peas. I collect pods and I was thinking of the wisteria! But
still, don't eat them ;o)

Not fair - they're called peas, so they should be edible

Don't even think of eating rosary peas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosary_pea

Old 25-01-2008, 09:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes:

| Don't even think of eating rosary peas.
|
| http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosary_pea

When I was a child, we used to collect them and use them as counters.
Which is, after all, just what rosary beads are ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 25-01-2008, 10:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
On 24/1/08 23:26, in article ,
"Peter Robinson" wrote:

Sacha wrote:

On 22/1/08 22:52, in article
, "Peter Robinson"

See "Cultivation and uses" in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lupin ;-)

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

Old 25-01-2008, 11:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Jeff Layman
writes
Sacha wrote:
On 24/1/08 23:26, in article ,
"Peter Robinson" wrote:

Sacha wrote:

On 22/1/08 22:52, in article
, "Peter Robinson"
wrote:

So my questions: can you eat perpetual sweet peas?

The peas we eat are Pisum sativum, the sweepeas which bear the
flowers we enjoy are Lathyrus sativus which can be very poisonous
unless eaten in a particularly careful fashion.

I didn't realise they aren't even the same genus. Oh well, back to
fending off the mice & pigeons then.

;-) They're called sweet peas because they smell sweet and the pods
bear a resemblance to edible peas, Pisum. Would you eat lupin pods,
for example? I do hope not!

See "Cultivation and uses" in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lupin ;-)

Lupinus is like Lathyrus - some species are edible (with care), others
are toxic. The usual garden lupin (Lupinus polyphyllus) is poisonous;
I'd guess that they same holds for the tree lupin.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 25-01-2008, 11:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/1/08 11:14, in article lid, "Stewart Robert
Hinsley" wrote:

In message , Jeff Layman
writes
Sacha wrote:
On 24/1/08 23:26, in article ,
"Peter Robinson" wrote:

Sacha wrote:

On 22/1/08 22:52, in article
, "Peter Robinson"
wrote:

So my questions: can you eat perpetual sweet peas?

The peas we eat are Pisum sativum, the sweepeas which bear the
flowers we enjoy are Lathyrus sativus which can be very poisonous
unless eaten in a particularly careful fashion.

I didn't realise they aren't even the same genus. Oh well, back to
fending off the mice & pigeons then.

;-) They're called sweet peas because they smell sweet and the pods
bear a resemblance to edible peas, Pisum. Would you eat lupin pods,
for example? I do hope not!

See "Cultivation and uses" in
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lupin ;-)

Lupinus is like Lathyrus - some species are edible (with care), others
are toxic. The usual garden lupin (Lupinus polyphyllus) is poisonous;
I'd guess that they same holds for the tree lupin.

Well, I'm not going to be the one who's going to find out! Laburnum stew,
anyone?

Old 25-01-2008, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Peter Robinson writes
Sacha wrote:

On 22/1/08 22:52, in article ,
"Peter Robinson" wrote:

So my questions: can you eat perpetual sweet peas?

The peas we eat are Pisum sativum, the sweepeas which bear the flowers we
enjoy are Lathyrus sativus

Lathyrus odoratus?

L sativum is the one with small steel blue flowers.

which can be very poisonous unless eaten in a
particularly careful fashion.

I didn't realise they aren't even the same genus. Oh well, back to
fending off the mice & pigeons then.

Peter

--
Kay

is it safe to plant sweet peas in the same yard as garden peas General Schvantzkoph Edible Gardening 3 06-04-2010 11:32 PM
hydroponic perpetual garden [email protected] Gardening 0 19-01-2007 05:53 PM
Barrone Prevost - Hybrid Perpetual Al Roses 1 25-04-2005 05:01 PM
perpetual spinach seeds jan Texas 9 11-04-2005 03:39 PM
Wanted! Hybrid Perpetual Roses Hybrides Remontants AmiRoses Roses 4 17-01-2004 10:32 AM