Old 28-01-2008, 12:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default I just can't design gardens - can you help?

Hello, I'm the type of person who doesn't mind the graft involved with
gardening but I just have no idea when it comes to design. I intend to
have my house on the market by july this year although that may get
delayed. So can anyone help with books, websites etc. that can show me
how to get a good looking (probably low maintenance) garden by july if
I start now? Oh, and like everyone (I imagine) I want to keep the cost
as low a possible.

TIA
Old 28-01-2008, 12:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28 Jan, 12:06, wrote:
Hello, I'm the type of person who doesn't mind the graft involved with
gardening but I just have no idea when it comes to design. I intend to
have my house on the market by july this year although that may get
delayed. So can anyone help with books, websites etc. that can show me
how to get a good looking (probably low maintenance) garden by july if
I start now? Oh, and like everyone (I imagine) I want to keep the cost
as low a possible.

Ha! A prospective client dream ....

You need to explore so many things - dimensions, exsisting large trees/
shrubs, soil ph, orientation, materials etc. There's lots of books
which could guide you (I don't have them at hand so I'll have to post
them to you again later this evening - but costly).

Alternatively, you could take a 1 day or 3 days class with KLC in
Chelsea London. They are brilliant. I've been to a few now as I'm
doing a Dip in Garden Design and they're really good.
http://www.klc.co.uk/Part-Time/default.asp The introduction to garden
design is very well thought off and that would be perfect for you -
I've attended it and it decided me into doing a Dip. However they were
lots of people attending interested in making their own garden up
only. The beauty of this is that you can share your ideas, ask
questions with instants answers, and go through a well thought off
process for doing your garden. It is not rigid on making you a great
designer, certainly not in 1 or 3 days ... but it will turn your
thoughts in order and you'll action them to your benefit without
wasting time and money.

Then you can come to us and ask questions - or alternatively, we could
all do it if you give us all the details I mentioned above. HTH
Old 28-01-2008, 04:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 28, 3:03 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 28/1/08 12:06, in article
,

" wrote:
Hello, I'm the type of person who doesn't mind the graft involved with
gardening but I just have no idea when it comes to design. I intend to
have my house on the market by july this year although that may get
delayed. So can anyone help with books, websites etc. that can show me
how to get a good looking (probably low maintenance) garden by july if
I start now? Oh, and like everyone (I imagine) I want to keep the cost
as low a possible.

TIA

Cut the grass and tidy lawn edges. Weed flower borders and then plant
brightly coloured annuals in pots. Many people like a blank canvas, so if
the flower beds are empty or non-existent, I wouldn't worry, as long as
they're clean if they do exist. The front garden is the first impression,
so again, keep it clean and tidy, removing any dustbins or cycles that might
be lolling around and which you don't notice because you're used to them.
Put a tub of something bright by the front door and clean the windows!
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon

Having moved between 8 houses in 3 countries over past 15 years, this
is all good advice. If you design something, it is almost guaranteed
that people will not like it anyway. Just make it look like it is
easy to maintain. If you already have beds with perennials, mulch
them (bark or cocoa shells or something that looks nice) about a month
before hand and keep it tidy. If you have so little experience and
so little time, it is almost guaranteed that whatever you do will look
shite.

Des

Old 28-01-2008, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28 Jan, 16:05, Des Higgins wrote:
Having moved between 8 houses in 3 countries over past 15 years, this
is all good advice. *If you design something, it is almost guaranteed
that people will not like it anyway. *Just make it look like it is
easy to maintain. *If you already have beds with perennials, mulch
them (bark or cocoa shells or something that looks nice) about a month
before hand and keep it tidy. * If you have so little experience and
so little time, it is almost guaranteed that whatever you do will look
shite.

splutter Well you don't mince your words! And if the poster's only
got a back yard full of rubbles? I think envisaging a path, leading to
existing areas with different planting would be a start. From the post
one feels that he/she knows about gardening, also wants to put his/her
hands on a project, and it doesn't have to be anything resembling a
transformation a la Tichmarsh and Dimmock. Some thoughts on what the
poster has, on what he/she can build with is good. Then adding extras
- which doesn't necesarrily means building a pond and decking the
whole area, but identifying herbaceous and structural plants which
could lift the garden's profile and add money onto the sale of the
house. Hence my suggestion with help at setting up a process rather
than adding some bark mulch and a couple of petunia pots.
Old 28-01-2008, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 28, 4:25 pm, wrote:
[...]

I meant if he had no training in garden design and tried to do it
himself, it would be unlikely to work unless he was inspired or lucky.
All he has to do is keep it neat for it to look saleable. If he has
no experience in garden design, he risks a huge expenditure of effort
for no gain or even to make it look worse.

Every time I have gone house hunting, the worst gardens were either
neglected or badly designed (naff and made you wonder how much effort
it would take and how many skips to remove the whole lot and start
again).

Getting a qualified designer and landscaper in (whose work you like
and therefore whose taste you agree with) is more likely to work.

Old 28-01-2008, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
Hello, I'm the type of person who doesn't mind the graft involved with
gardening but I just have no idea when it comes to design. I intend to
have my house on the market by july this year although that may get
delayed. So can anyone help with books, websites etc. that can show me
how to get a good looking (probably low maintenance) garden by july if
I start now? Oh, and like everyone (I imagine) I want to keep the cost
as low a possible.

TIA

I have lots of links on my homepages...... mostly for roof gardens, but they
might be of help:
http://www.ljconline.nl/garden/gardenlinks.htm

Jenny

Old 28-01-2008, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28 Jan, 16:33, Des Higgins wrote:
I meant if he had no training in garden design and tried to do it
himself, it would be unlikely to work unless he was inspired or lucky.
All he has to do is keep it neat for it to look saleable. *If he has
no experience in garden design, he risks a huge expenditure of effort
for no gain or even to make it look worse.

You're right, off course.

Every time I have gone house hunting, the worst gardens were either
neglected or badly designed (naff and made you wonder how much effort
it would take and how many skips to remove the whole lot and start
again).

There's some matter of taste in there somewhere too. Naff is perhaps
70% of the gardens I see, in my opinion ;o) I love neglected gardens
because then nobody seem to mind about what you are going to do.
Anything is an improvement! Deck and concrete urban designed garden is
frankly a costly affair in skips hire, I agree!

Getting a qualified designer and landscaper in (whose work you like
and therefore whose taste you agree with) is more likely to work.

This is costly (I know, I've just done an hypothetical business plan -
my goodness, see you all on the Riviera next year!). All in all I
think the poster must find a balance. A course which will gain him/her
some knowledge which he/she will keep for ever (cost the same as a
handfull of gardening books). Then a small project to keep her/him
busy till July. C'mon, don't be a spoilt sport. Everybody wants to
potter in the garden!! You never know, that garden might not end up in
my 70% ...!
Old 28-01-2008, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

C'mon, don't be a spoilt sport. Everybody wants to
potter in the garden!!

Wrong.

'Her out doors' might and that is why I am here; passing on information.

Me? Cover it in concrete and paint it green. (Or stick a house on it and
make some money for the next cruise)

Kindest regards

Mike

After a lot of trouble www.nsrafa.org is now up and running for the National
Service RAF man

Old 28-01-2008, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 28, 12:06*pm, wrote:
Hello, I'm the type of person who doesn't mind the graft involved with
gardening but I just have no idea when it comes to design. I intend to
have my house on the market by july this year although that may get
delayed. So can anyone help with books, websites etc. that can show me
how to get a good looking (probably low maintenance) garden by july if
I start now? Oh, and like everyone (I imagine) I want to keep the cost
as low a possible.

TIA

Rather than risk a new and expensive redesign, work with what you
have. Tidy it all up, make sure you keep the lawn well cut when you
start cutting it later on. Keep beds weed free, plant annuals in
early May, cram them in to get a blanket effect. Introduce colour
with pots and hanging baskets. A pot each side of the front door with
yellow flowers and trailing ivy will brighten up even a dull day.
Ensure your paintwork on the outside is fresh. Many people will not
come in to see your house, which may be outstanding if they see that
the outside has not been maintained. HTH

Judith
Old 28-01-2008, 06:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/1/08 16:25, in article
,
" wrote:

[...]

The OP said he has no experience in garden design which does not argue a
knowledge of plants and planting or how to use them. He said he didn't want
to spend much money and hopes to sell the house in July, which does not
argue money to spare for any design fees or hard landscaping, such as paths
or 'different planting' that these paths lead to. Paving stones or bricks
cost and laying them takes time.
*Nothing* is more ugly than some hastily thrown together bits of tat which
try to establish a 'garden'. You propose to make a mature, attractive,
established, weed-smothering garden in 7 months, starting in January, on a
low budget? Sorry, no.
Clean and tidy and some spots of colour via tubs is the only way to go for
someone who is selling a house and has no money to spare to 'lift the
garden's profile'. He's spending his own money.

Old 28-01-2008, 07:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

'Mike' wrote:

C'mon, don't be a spoilt sport. Everybody wants to
potter in the garden!!

Wrong.

'Her out doors' might and that is why I am here; passing on information.

Me? Cover it in concrete and paint it green. (Or stick a house on it and
make some money for the next cruise)

Kindest regards

Mike

Mike, you're clearly not interested in gardening, so why do you post here?
Old 28-01-2008, 07:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"johannes" wrote in message
.. .

'Mike' wrote:

C'mon, don't be a spoilt sport. Everybody wants to
potter in the garden!!

Wrong.

'Her out doors' might and that is why I am here; passing on information.

Me? Cover it in concrete and paint it green. (Or stick a house on it and
make some money for the next cruise)

Kindest regards

Mike

Mike, you're clearly not interested in gardening, so why do you post here?

What part of "" 'Her out doors' might and that is why I am here; passing
on information."" do you NOT understand?

Should I be able to help you please do not hesitate to let me know.

Kindest possible regards.

Old 28-01-2008, 07:39 PM
BrownFingers's Avatar
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Hello, I'm the type of person who doesn't mind the graft involved with
gardening but I just have no idea when it comes to design. I intend to
have my house on the market by july this year although that may get
delayed. So can anyone help with books, websites etc. that can show me
how to get a good looking (probably low maintenance) garden by july if
I start now? Oh, and like everyone (I imagine) I want to keep the cost
as low a possible.

TIA
http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Idiot.../dp/0028610962

hahaha idiot Ed haha
I'm the New Gardening Daddy... You beta watch out cause I'm the new Kid on the Lawn..!!!!
I'm gonna hoe Yo Gravel.....