GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Banana leaves - overwintering (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/170681-banana-leaves-overwintering.html)

No Name 28-01-2008 06:38 PM

Banana leaves - overwintering

In my cold greenhouse most of the leaves on the overwintering banana
plants are drooping but there are several new ones thriving.
Should I remove the dying leaves now, or later in the year.
Or indeed, should I leave them well alone?

John

Dave Poole 29-01-2008 04:02 AM

Banana leaves - overwintering

Your best course of action is to do nothing at the moment. Any leaves
that have yellowed completely can be cut away, but don't cut too near
the base or try to tear them away unless they have dried to a crisp.
Wait until temperatures start to rise appreciably before you resume
watering properly. We've got February to get through yet and you
don't want to encourage too much soft growth at this time of year.