Old 04-02-2008, 02:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default 1940's Garden

On Mon, 04 Feb 2008 14:21:00 +0100, Martin wrote
and included this (or some of this):

On Mon, 4 Feb 2008 12:36:35 +0000, K wrote:

johannes writes

K wrote:

But did you ever have chocolate covered peas? So why then minted peas?

Mint is something we grow really well, unlike many of the other herbs
which really like something warmer and better drained. So not surprising
that it would have crept across our cooking, eg mint sauce for lamb,
mint with new potatoes.

Yuk!

I suspect there's things about your national cooking that we would find
equally unpalatable.

and at least we try them.

and at least we fry them

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°²

Old 04-02-2008, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

K wrote:

But did you ever have chocolate covered peas? So why then minted peas?

Mint is something we grow really well, unlike many of the other herbs
which really like something warmer and better drained. So not surprising
that it would have crept across our cooking, eg mint sauce for lamb,
mint with new potatoes.

Yuk!

I suspect there's things about your national cooking that we would find
equally unpalatable.

and at least we try them.

and at least we fry them

Steak tartar with a raw egg in the middle?
or a bowl of bouillon with a raw egg staring up at you?

Not my cuppa either. But peas and mint are so far apart in taste that
mint completely spoils the sweet taste of peas.

or an uncooked rasher of Dutch bacon butty?

Another shocking experience is that the British can't seem to keep the
two D-nationalities apart i their head. Peter Schmiechel was once referred
to as "The Flying Dutchman" by a cheeky referee in a BBC TV dancing
competition. I have informed someone that I am Danish, after a while that
very same person will refer to me as Dutch, not only as a guessing presumption,
but as a 100% fact! Good grief. The two countries are so far apart.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
johannes writes:

| Not my cuppa either. But peas and mint are so far apart in taste that
| mint completely spoils the sweet taste of peas.

That is not everybody's opinion. There is a very good Levantine dip
made of peas, strongly flavoured with mint.

| or an uncooked rasher of Dutch bacon butty?
|
| Another shocking experience is that the British can't seem to keep the
| two D-nationalities apart i their head. Peter Schmiechel was once referred
| to as "The Flying Dutchman" by a cheeky referee in a BBC TV dancing
| competition. I have informed someone that I am Danish, after a while that
| very same person will refer to me as Dutch, not only as a guessing presumption,
| but as a 100% fact! Good grief. The two countries are so far apart.

Really? Compared with Guyana and Georgia? :-)

When looked at globally, Denmark and Holland are two of the most
similar countries. Yes, I agree that there is no excuse for the
Little Englanders - but that is a generic statement.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article ,
johannes writes:

| Not my cuppa either. But peas and mint are so far apart in taste that
| mint completely spoils the sweet taste of peas.

That is not everybody's opinion. There is a very good Levantine dip
made of peas, strongly flavoured with mint.

| or an uncooked rasher of Dutch bacon butty?
|
| Another shocking experience is that the British can't seem to keep the
| two D-nationalities apart i their head. Peter Schmiechel was once referred
| to as "The Flying Dutchman" by a cheeky referee in a BBC TV dancing
| competition. I have informed someone that I am Danish, after a while that
| very same person will refer to me as Dutch, not only as a guessing presumption,
| but as a 100% fact! Good grief. The two countries are so far apart.

Really? Compared with Guyana and Georgia? :-)

When looked at globally, Denmark and Holland are two of the most
similar countries.

Oh noooo thye are not! For a start, they speak different languages which
are mutually incomprehensible from one another. The only thing in common
is that their nationalities start with a "D". Well, they both produce
tons of cheese.

Yes, I agree that there is no excuse for the Little Englanders - but that
is a generic statement.

But why doesn't it work the other way around? I mean, why aren't the Dutch
assumed to be Danish by default?
Old 04-02-2008, 07:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
johannes writes:

| When looked at globally, Denmark and Holland are two of the most
| similar countries.
|
| Oh noooo thye are not! For a start, they speak different languages which
| are mutually incomprehensible from one another. The only thing in common
| is that their nationalities start with a "D". Well, they both produce
| tons of cheese.

Er, their languages are really rather similar from a global perspective,
you know. They are also small, flat, located in north-west Europe, with
strong maritime traditions and good seaports, have a high proportion of
cyclists and so on and so forth.

Think about my comparison with Guyana and Georgia!

| Yes, I agree that there is no excuse for the Little Englanders - but that
| is a generic statement.
|
| But why doesn't it work the other way around? I mean, why aren't the Dutch
| assumed to be Danish by default?

God alone knows. There's no making sense of what passes for Little
Englanders' logic. They can't spell Maclaren correctly, either, even
with hundreds of correct spellings to choose from, and Scotland isn't
even as far away as Denmark (though it is as far as Holland from the
home counties, which is the only place that seems to count).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Martin writes:
| On Mon, 04 Feb 2008 18:10:12 +0000, johannes
| wrote:
|
| Not my cuppa either. But peas and mint are so far apart in taste that
| mint completely spoils the sweet taste of peas.
|
| How about
| http://www.visitdenmark.com/internat...egnsretter.htm
| " One of the dishes is Sun over Gudhjem; smoked herring on rye bread with chives
| and a raw egg yolk."

All these recipes using raw egg yolk make me feel ill - I can't stand
the taste of egg yolk, unless cooked to death.

Smoked herring on rye bread - yum, yum. RAW herring with onions - ditto.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:

On Mon, 04 Feb 2008 19:34:26 +0000, johannes
wrote:

Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article ,
johannes writes:

| Not my cuppa either. But peas and mint are so far apart in taste that
| mint completely spoils the sweet taste of peas.

That is not everybody's opinion. There is a very good Levantine dip
made of peas, strongly flavoured with mint.

| or an uncooked rasher of Dutch bacon butty?
|
| Another shocking experience is that the British can't seem to keep the
| two D-nationalities apart i their head. Peter Schmiechel was once referred
| to as "The Flying Dutchman" by a cheeky referee in a BBC TV dancing
| competition. I have informed someone that I am Danish, after a while that
| very same person will refer to me as Dutch, not only as a guessing presumption,
| but as a 100% fact! Good grief. The two countries are so far apart.

Really? Compared with Guyana and Georgia? :-)

When looked at globally, Denmark and Holland are two of the most
similar countries.

Oh noooo thye are not! For a start, they speak different languages which
are mutually incomprehensible from one another.

Yeah right.

The only thing in common
is that their nationalities start with a "D". Well, they both produce
tons of cheese.

and bacon.

The Danes that I have worked with in Holland could guess Dutch to a certain
extent and learnt it quickly.

The only reason for this is that the Danes learn foreign languages in school
by necessity of being a small country; English, German, French at least.
Dutch is as far away from Danish as German. The Danish language belongs to
the Scandinavian family of languages.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
johannes writes:
| Martin wrote:
|
| The Danes that I have worked with in Holland could guess Dutch to a certain
| extent and learnt it quickly.
|
| The only reason for this is that the Danes learn foreign languages in school
| by necessity of being a small country; English, German, French at least.
| Dutch is as far away from Danish as German. The Danish language belongs to
| the Scandinavian family of languages.

Oh, really! Please do be a little less parochial.

I can make a fair amount of sense of Dutch and some of Danish, despite
never having learnt either language, because of the similarities in
the Germanic languages (including the Scandinavian ones). That is
little help with (say) Polish, none at all with Turkish - and, as for
African, American, Far-Eastern and Australian languages, please get real.

The whole of the Germanic family is very similar, and the separations
were less than two thousand years ago.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Martin writes:

| Friesland was part of Denmark at one time.

And Frisian is closer to (southern) Middle English than it is to Dutch;
it is ALMOST comprehensible to an educated English speaker. Just to
confuse the issue :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On 4 Feb 2008 22:27:01 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

In article ,
Martin writes:

| Friesland was part of Denmark at one time.

And Frisian is closer to (southern) Middle English than it is to Dutch;
it is ALMOST comprehensible to an educated English speaker. Just to
confuse the issue :-)

I can understand the Friesian subtitles on Friesian local TV, but not a
lot when
it is spoken. A lot of the difference between Dutch and written Friesian
is the
spelling of words
--

Martin

Very hospitable people the Friesians. Went there with the Royal Navy once
:-)) Took a long time to come back to earth ;-)

Mike

After a lot of trouble www.nsrafa.org is now up and running for the National
Service RAF man

Old 05-02-2008, 08:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote
johannes writes:

Really? Compared with Guyana and Georgia? :-)

When looked at globally, Denmark and Holland are two of the most
similar countries. Yes, I agree that there is no excuse for the
Little Englanders - but that is a generic statement.
Regards, Nick Maclaren.

I've heard an uncountable number of Americans say "Oh, Copenhagen, the
capital of Holland !"

But how many of us know the capital of Nebraska (or even where the state
is!)
Or Indianapolis, Cheyenne or Minnesota ? (I can't!)

Jenny

Old 05-02-2008, 08:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"johannes" wrote
The Danes that I have worked with in Holland could guess Dutch to a
certain
extent and learnt it quickly.

The only reason for this is that the Danes learn foreign languages in
school
by necessity of being a small country; English, German, French at least.
Dutch is as far away from Danish as German. The Danish language belongs to
the Scandinavian family of languages.

The Dutch learn English, French and German at school too and are also pretty
quick at picking up other languages.....

Dutch and German are indeed similar and Danish has a completely different
ring to it :!)
Jenny

Old 05-02-2008, 11:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Martin writes:
| On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 09:21:22 +0100, "JennyC" wrote:
| "johannes" wrote
| The Danes that I have worked with in Holland could guess Dutch to a
| certain
| extent and learnt it quickly.
|
| The only reason for this is that the Danes learn foreign languages in
| school
| by necessity of being a small country; English, German, French at least.
| Dutch is as far away from Danish as German. The Danish language belongs to
| the Scandinavian family of languages.
|
| The Dutch learn English, French and German at school too and are also pretty
| quick at picking up other languages.....
|
| Dutch and German are indeed similar and Danish has a completely different
| ring to it :!)
|
| It sounds different, but has similar roots.

To use a gardening analogy, if we consider languages as angiosperms,
Dutch and Danish might be Pyrus communis and Chaenomeles japonica.
One's a tree and the other a shrub, but they are closely related.

English, of course, is an inter-generic hybrid :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:

On Mon, 04 Feb 2008 21:40:46 +0000, johannes
wrote:

Martin wrote:

On Mon, 04 Feb 2008 19:34:26 +0000, johannes
wrote:

Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article ,
johannes writes:

| Not my cuppa either. But peas and mint are so far apart in taste that
| mint completely spoils the sweet taste of peas.

That is not everybody's opinion. There is a very good Levantine dip
made of peas, strongly flavoured with mint.

| or an uncooked rasher of Dutch bacon butty?
|
| Another shocking experience is that the British can't seem to keep the
| two D-nationalities apart i their head. Peter Schmiechel was once referred
| to as "The Flying Dutchman" by a cheeky referee in a BBC TV dancing
| competition. I have informed someone that I am Danish, after a while that
| very same person will refer to me as Dutch, not only as a guessing presumption,
| but as a 100% fact! Good grief. The two countries are so far apart.

Really? Compared with Guyana and Georgia? :-)

When looked at globally, Denmark and Holland are two of the most
similar countries.

Oh noooo thye are not! For a start, they speak different languages which
are mutually incomprehensible from one another.

Yeah right.

The only thing in common
is that their nationalities start with a "D". Well, they both produce
tons of cheese.

and bacon.

The Danes that I have worked with in Holland could guess Dutch to a certain
extent and learnt it quickly.

The only reason for this is that the Danes learn foreign languages in school
by necessity of being a small country; English, German, French at least.
Dutch is as far away from Danish as German. The Danish language belongs to
the Scandinavian family of languages.

Friesland was part of Denmark at one time.

Not to my knowledge. When was that may I ask?
Old 05-02-2008, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:

On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 09:21:22 +0100, "JennyC" wrote:

"johannes" wrote
The Danes that I have worked with in Holland could guess Dutch to a
certain
extent and learnt it quickly.

The only reason for this is that the Danes learn foreign languages in
school
by necessity of being a small country; English, German, French at least.
Dutch is as far away from Danish as German. The Danish language belongs to
the Scandinavian family of languages.

The Dutch learn English, French and German at school too and are also pretty
quick at picking up other languages.....

Dutch and German are indeed similar and Danish has a completely different
ring to it :!)

It sounds different, but has similar roots.

Similar in a sense that English and Spanish have similar roots.