GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Field beans (as green manure) - When should I dig them in? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/170738-field-beans-green-manure-when-should-i-dig-them.html)

JD[_4_] 31-01-2008 01:27 PM

Field beans (as green manure) - When should I dig them in?

Hi,
I planted some field beans on my vegetable plot back in November (as
green manure). They are now about 8" tall, on average. I gather the
idea is to dig them in at some stage. When should I do this, and is
there any special method to observe? For example, if I turn the soil,
how deep should the fork/spade go prior to turning?

Thank you,

JD

[email protected] 31-01-2008 01:44 PM

On 31 Jan, 13:27, JD wrote:
Hi,
I planted some field beans on my vegetable plot back in November (as
green manure). They are now about 8" tall, on average. I gather the
idea is to dig them in at some stage. When should I do this, and is
there any special method to observe? For example, if I turn the soil,
how deep should the fork/spade go prior to turning?

I've never tried field beans but usually it's 'overwinter' which I
think is 4 months. So next month it's time for you to work hard. Why
don't you give Graham a call, on the link below, I'm sure he'll
confirm that for you.

http://www.btinternet.com/~bury_rd/green.htm