GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Moving an apple tree (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/170854-moving-apple-tree.html)

LaLong 05-02-2008 12:54 PM

Moving an apple tree

Hello everyone,

I moved into my little terrace about a year ago, and inherited a bit of a miss match garden.

I have lots of shingle and bark, and some random shrubs in one bed on one side of my garden....

I also have an apple tree in the top corner of my garden which produced quite a bounty of apples this autumn, even though it is obviously still young (10 foot high and spindley).

I want to either deck, or patio this top end of my garden and build in seating to the side which will cover the area the apple tree currently sits in.

Can I safely move it into a large pot? As I am hoping to remove the hotch botch bed altogether. Or will I have to build round it?

Any help is much appreciated!

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 05-02-2008 05:49 PM

Moving an apple tree

In article ,
says...

Hello everyone,

I moved into my little terrace about a year ago, and inherited a bit of
a miss match garden.

I have lots of shingle and bark, and some random shrubs in one bed on
one side of my garden....

I also have an apple tree in the top corner of my garden which produced
quite a bounty of apples this autumn, even though it is obviously still
young (10 foot high and spindley).

I want to either deck, or patio this top end of my garden and build in
seating to the side which will cover the area the apple tree currently
sits in.

Can I safely move it into a large pot? As I am hoping to remove the
hotch botch bed altogether. Or will I have to build round it?

Any help is much appreciated!

A ten foot tree will have a big root ball, you will not be able to get
all of it out so will need to reduce the size of the tree first, you may
not get apples this year, the tree would long term be happiest in the
ground as it sounds too large to be one of the mineture sorts people put
in pots.
If it were me I would leave it be and build around it, who knows we may
get a summer where some shade would be welcome!
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

PK[_2_] 05-02-2008 07:11 PM

Moving an apple tree

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
T...

If it were me I would leave it be and build around it, who knows we may

get a summer where some shade would be welcome!

Unless he can get in a digger with big enough scoop to take the rootball in
ine go and drop into a pre scooped hole!

pk

Pete C[_2_] 05-02-2008 07:25 PM

Moving an apple tree

LaLong wrote:
Hello everyone,

I moved into my little terrace about a year ago, and inherited a bit
of a miss match garden.

I have lots of shingle and bark, and some random shrubs in one bed on
one side of my garden....

I also have an apple tree in the top corner of my garden which
produced quite a bounty of apples this autumn, even though it is
obviously still young (10 foot high and spindley).

I want to either deck, or patio this top end of my garden and build in
seating to the side which will cover the area the apple tree currently
sits in.

Can I safely move it into a large pot? As I am hoping to remove the
hotch botch bed altogether. Or will I have to build round it?

Any help is much appreciated!

As Charlie said, build round it. Build a seat around the tree. Like
this...........
http://www.gardeningthoughts.co.uk/a...ree_Seats.html
:)
--
Pete C
London UK

LaLong 06-02-2008 01:26 PM

Thanks guys! I will have to build my seating around it and diggers etc. in a terraced back garden is a no go!

Will let you know how it progresses :)

It's a pity as the proposed design looks great, but I don't want to damage the tree.

Thanks again