Old 05-02-2008, 06:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Clearing land

Any suggestions on the best way to clear a very overgrown plot (gorse and
scrub to 10' high, but unsure what may be lurking below soil level) with
a view to being able to rotavate and seed with grass, quite an area
approx 4 house plot size. Was asked by a gardener friend and I have no
idea the sort of mechanical help available, (said gardener is fit and
well!)
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 05-02-2008, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 5/2/08 18:19, in article ,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

Any suggestions on the best way to clear a very overgrown plot (gorse and
scrub to 10' high, but unsure what may be lurking below soil level) with
a view to being able to rotavate and seed with grass, quite an area
approx 4 house plot size. Was asked by a gardener friend and I have no
idea the sort of mechanical help available, (said gardener is fit and
well!)

A goat.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 05-02-2008, 06:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
T...
Any suggestions on the best way to clear a very overgrown plot (gorse and
scrub to 10' high, but unsure what may be lurking below soil level) with
a view to being able to rotavate and seed with grass, quite an area
approx 4 house plot size. Was asked by a gardener friend and I have no
idea the sort of mechanical help available, (said gardener is fit and
well!)
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Lapageria rosea

Charlie this is just what I inherited in Leicester.

Went over it with a rip hook and saw to get it to 'ground level' (Made some
super bonfires)

Then went over it with an Atco Rotoscythe
http://www.oldlawnmowerclub.co.uk/mo...76-atcorot.htm.

Kept going over it with said machine.

Grass grew

Horses put onto the grass to graze it.

Some of the land was cultivated and we had a super crop of Runner Beans and
Spuds. (Spuds grown on the surface under plastic)

The site now houses two blocks of flats St Mary's Court Leicester

Hope that helps

Mike

Old 05-02-2008, 06:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Charlie Pridham says...
Any suggestions on the best way to clear a very overgrown plot (gorse and
scrub to 10' high, but unsure what may be lurking below soil level) with
a view to being able to rotavate and seed with grass, quite an area
approx 4 house plot size. Was asked by a gardener friend and I have no
idea the sort of mechanical help available, (said gardener is fit and
well!)

Our land started out with a jungle of brambles and self set
trees. I initially used a strimmer but a bloke who was
doing our drive at the time with a JCB offered to clear it
for us. Within a few minutes he had skimmed off everything
above ground level into a big pile for burning. The same
work would have taken me several weeks by hand.

After glyphosating the resulting re-growth it was possible
to rotovate.
--
David in Normandy