GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   snowdrops (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/170875-snowdrops.html)

Instep[_2_] 06-02-2008 09:15 AM

snowdrops

My snowdrops are now in bloom, but something is eating the flowers.
Could it be slugs or birds? Ann

Gill Matthews 06-02-2008 08:20 PM

snowdrops

In article ,
says...
My snowdrops are now in bloom, but something is eating the flowers.
Could it be slugs or birds? Ann

Could be either. You will need to watch out try viewing the snowdrops at night
with a torch, you may catch the slimy little beggars at it.

Gill M
--

addy gill[at]pcservicesreading[dot]co[dot]uk

judith.lea 07-02-2008 10:32 AM

snowdrops

On Feb 6, 9:15*am, "Instep" wrote:
My snowdrops are now in bloom, but something is eating the flowers.
Could it be slugs or birds? *Ann

It could well be slugs, I had snowdrops in my garden in England and
after I put down slug pellets, the damage stopped.

Judith

judith.lea 07-02-2008 11:22 AM

snowdrops

On Feb 7, 10:38*am, Aries wrote:
On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 02:32:46 -0800 (PST), judith.lea wrote:
On Feb 6, 9:15*am, "Instep" wrote:
[2 quoted lines suppressed]

It could well be slugs, I had snowdrops in my garden in England and
after I put down slug pellets, the damage stopped.

Judith

Oooh, I don't like using slug pellets Judith because of the birds and my
free range hens. *
--
After all is said and done,
more is said than done.http://www.copelands.plus.com/val/

Hi Val, I used the lethal ones in England as I didn't have any pets
but here, Marie-Louise's chickens do scratch around if I leave the
gates open so I have been using some stuff that is organic but it
doesn't work too well!!

Judith

judith.lea 07-02-2008 11:25 AM

snowdrops

On Feb 7, 10:44*am, Aries wrote:

[7 quoted lines suppressed]

This link offers some alternativeshttp://www.gardenaction.co.uk/techniques/pests/slugs.htm
--
Don't worry about avoiding temptation -
as you grow older, it starts avoiding you.http://www.copelands.plus.com/val/

Thanks Val, I like the nematode idea, I'll ask Sacha if Ray uses
these.

Judith

adder1969 07-02-2008 11:50 AM

snowdrops

On Feb 7, 11:25*am, "judith.lea" wrote:
On Feb 7, 10:44*am, Aries wrote:

On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 10:38:28 +0000, Aries wrote:
On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 02:32:46 -0800 (PST), judith.lea wrote:

[7 quoted lines suppressed]

Oooh, I don't like using slug pellets Judith because of the birds and my
free range hens.

This link offers some alternativeshttp://www.gardenaction.co.uk/techniques/pests/slugs.htm
--
Don't worry about avoiding temptation -
as you grow older, it starts avoiding you.http://www.copelands.plus.com/val/

Thanks Val, I like the nematode idea, I'll ask Sacha if Ray uses
these.

Judith

The beer pots work well for me.

judith.lea 07-02-2008 12:15 PM

snowdrops

On Feb 7, 10:44*am, Aries wrote:

On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 10:38:28 +0000, Aries wrote:
On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 02:32:46 -0800 (PST), judith.lea wrote:

[7 quoted lines suppressed]

Oooh, I don't like using slug pellets Judith because of the birds and my
free range hens.

This link offers some alternativeshttp://www.gardenaction.co.uk/techniques/pests/slugs.htm
--
Don't worry about avoiding temptation -
as you grow older, it starts avoiding you.http://www.copelands.plus.com/val/

Thanks Val, I like the nematode idea, I'll ask Sacha if Ray uses
these.

Judith

The beer pots work well for me.- Hide quoted text -

I tried those some years ago,but, to be honest, they only had the odd
slug in so I gave up.

Judith

adder1969 07-02-2008 01:35 PM

snowdrops

On Feb 7, 10:44*am, Aries wrote:

On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 10:38:28 +0000, Aries wrote:
On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 02:32:46 -0800 (PST), judith.lea wrote:

[7 quoted lines suppressed]

Oooh, I don't like using slug pellets Judith because of the birds and my
free range hens.

This link offers some alternativeshttp://www.gardenaction.co.uk/techniques/pests/slugs.htm
--
Don't worry about avoiding temptation -
as you grow older, it starts avoiding you.http://www.copelands.plus.com/val/

Thanks Val, I like the nematode idea, I'll ask Sacha if Ray uses
these.

Judith

The beer pots work well for me.- Hide quoted text -

I tried those some years ago,but, to be honest, they only had the odd
slug in so I gave up.

Judith- Hide quoted text -

When I first put mine out they were completely full the next morning,
then after that, only ever a few in there.

'Mike' 07-02-2008 02:45 PM

snowdrops

"Martin" wrote in message

On Feb 7, 10:44 am, Aries wrote:

On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 10:38:28 +0000, Aries wrote:
On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 02:32:46 -0800 (PST), judith.lea wrote:

[7 quoted lines suppressed]

Oooh, I don't like using slug pellets Judith because of the birds
and my
free range hens.

This link offers some
alternativeshttp://www.gardenaction.co.uk/techniques/pests/slugs.htm
--
Don't worry about avoiding temptation -
as you grow older, it starts avoiding
you.http://www.copelands.plus.com/val/

Thanks Val, I like the nematode idea, I'll ask Sacha if Ray uses
these.

Judith

The beer pots work well for me.- Hide quoted text -

I tried those some years ago,but, to be honest, they only had the odd
slug in so I gave up.

Give them Heineken and let them die a horrible painful death.
--

Martin

or leave them some cigarettes and let the stupid things smoke themselves to
death/

Mike

After a lot of trouble www.nsrafa.org is now up and running for the National
Service RAF man

judith.lea 07-02-2008 04:48 PM

snowdrops

On Feb 7, 10:44*am, Aries wrote:

[...]

then after that, only ever a few in there.- Hide quoted text -

They obviously don't like lager!

Judith

judith.lea 07-02-2008 04:49 PM

snowdrops

On Feb 7, 10:44*am, Aries wrote:

[...]

Martin- Hide quoted text -

Much too expensive!!

Judith

Gill Matthews 07-02-2008 09:34 PM

snowdrops

In article ,
says...
On Feb 7, 10:44*am, Aries wrote:
On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 10:38:28 +0000, Aries wrote:
On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 02:32:46 -0800 (PST), judith.lea wrote:

[7 quoted lines suppressed]

Oooh, I don't like using slug pellets Judith because of the birds and my
free range hens.

This link offers some alternativeshttp://www.gardenaction.co.uk/techniques/pests/slugs.htm
--
Don't worry about avoiding temptation -
as you grow older, it starts avoiding you.
http://www.copelands.plus.com/val/

Thanks Val, I like the nematode idea, I'll ask Sacha if Ray uses
these.

Judith

The soil has to be quite wrm for nematodes to work. I have seen different
temperatures quoted on different products, but I think the coolest was 10
degrees C and it seems unlikely that you would have soil as consistnetly warm
as this and snowdrops at the same time.

Gill M
--

addy gill[at]pcservicesreading[dot]co[dot]uk

Nick Maclaren 07-02-2008 09:44 PM

snowdrops

In article ,
Martin writes:
| On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 21:34:03 -0000, Gill Matthews Try the wrote:
|
| The soil has to be quite wrm for nematodes to work. I have seen different
| temperatures quoted on different products, but I think the coolest was 10
| degrees C and it seems unlikely that you would have soil as consistnetly warm
| as this and snowdrops at the same time.
|
| All our snowdrops are in flower and even the air isn't as warm as that.

That's what she said!

Snowdrops don't need above 5 Celsius to flower, and aren't too worried
if the soil is only just above freezing.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

judith.lea 07-02-2008 10:46 PM

snowdrops

On Feb 7, 9:34*pm, Gill Matthews Try the wrote:
In article ,
says...

On Feb 7, 10:44*am, Aries wrote:
[...]

addy gill[at]pcservicesreading[dot]co[dot]uk- Hide quoted text -

You are right Gill, here in the Auvergne it is much too cold until
April.

Judith