Old 07-02-2008, 03:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Vitamin C in stored apples

I have a number of desert apple trees and attempt to store the apples
in the garage during the winter.Many of the apples become soft (as
compared with crisp),but still taste wonderful.In our family,we eat
lots of apples,both for their pleasant taste and since we think that
they keep us healthy.Does anyone know whether apples kept in this way
retain their vitamins (especially Vitamin C) in anything like the
original fresh value?
Michael
Old 08-02-2008, 07:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

michael wrote:
I have a number of desert apple trees and attempt to store the apples
in the garage during the winter.Many of the apples become soft (as
compared with crisp),but still taste wonderful.In our family,we eat
lots of apples,both for their pleasant taste and since we think that
they keep us healthy.Does anyone know whether apples kept in this way
retain their vitamins (especially Vitamin C) in anything like the
original fresh value?
Michael

These might be of interest...

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/suttonelms/apple11.html

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/suttonelms/apple25.html

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/suttonelms/apple24.html
Old 09-02-2008, 11:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8 Feb, 19:28, (Jim Jackson) wrote:
michael wrote:
I have a number of desert apple trees and attempt to store the apples
in the garage during the winter.Many of the apples become soft (as
compared with crisp),but still taste wonderful.In our family,we eat
lots of apples,both for their pleasant taste and since we think that
they keep us healthy.Does anyone know whether apples kept in this way
retain their vitamins (especially Vitamin C) in anything like the
original fresh value?
Michael

These might be of interest...

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/suttonelms/apple11.html

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/suttonelms/apple25.html

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/suttonelms/apple24.html

Thanks for that information,Jim.It is interesting to noe that some
apples,especially cookers such as Golden Noble,actually increase
Vitamin C in storage.Michael
Old 10-02-2008, 10:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

michael wrote:
I have a number of desert apple trees and attempt to store the apples
in the garage during the winter.Many of the apples become soft (as
compared with crisp),but still taste wonderful.In our family,we eat
lots of apples,both for their pleasant taste and since we think that
they keep us healthy.Does anyone know whether apples kept in this way
retain their vitamins (especially Vitamin C) in anything like the
original fresh value?
Michael

These might be of interest...

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/suttonelms/apple11.html

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/suttonelms/apple25.html

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/suttonelms/apple24.html

Thanks for that information,Jim.It is interesting to noe that some
apples,especially cookers such as Golden Noble,actually increase
Vitamin C in storage.Michael- Hide quoted text -

dear michael

i'm the person responsible for those vitamin c tests.

there's a lot of variability in vit c content in apples, but no
individual apple can increase its vit c content on storage. there's
just one way an apple might appear to contain more vit c per 100g -and
that's if it loses water (ie dries out) more quickly than the vit c
degrades.

i've found that vit c is retained most in acidic apples and those with
waxy skin. a picked apple loses vit c from the moment it's picked.
those which retain it for longer tend to be the most acidic (though
not all acidic apples have much vit c to start with).

vit c is, incidentally, completely absent in cooked apples. i could
detected none at all - not even in bramley, which, when raw, contains
a high amount of this vitamin.

i found the vit. c content of most supermarket apples (raw bramley
excepted) to be negligible.

nigel deacon / diversity website
Old 10-02-2008, 10:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

michael wrote:
[...]

nigel deacon / diversity website- Hide quoted text -

p.s. i am not casting a slur on commercial apples- my analyses were on
stored, out-of-season fruit well past their best. the main factor in
vit c content, apart from variety, is freshness.

n.d.

Old 10-02-2008, 10:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

michael wrote:
[...]

But you could just take vit c tablets?
Old 11-02-2008, 11:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

michael wrote:
[...]

Hi Nigel,
Thank you very much for a fascinating post.I grow lots of
apple cultivars(50+) at my allotment and also have an orchard of
different cider apple cultivars,many quite rare.Several of your
comments interest me.Firstly,your comment that vitamin c is absent
completely from cooked apples.Now I will enjoy my cooked apple,with or
a without a crumble topping,since it tastes extremely good.My children
tell me that my cooking apples (Golden Noble,Dumelow's Seedling,High
Canon,Newton Wonder,Norfolk Beefing,Emneth Early)all taste much better
than supermarket Bramleys,but that could be due to variety,not
freshness.I was also interested in your comment that 'greasy' apples
keep their vitamin c better than others-however a nice desert apple
like Lord Lambourne becomes greasy quite quickly,but the acidic sharp
taste disappears within a month or so.I also noticed that you tested
some cider apples e.g.Dabinett.It is traditional in cider making to
let the apples (particularly late bittersweets) store for a while to
soften and increase their sugar content-presumably this reduces their
vitamin c compared with the fresh apple.However,one does not make
cider particularly for the health giving properties of vitamin c,but
it would be interesting to know whether the traditional fermentation
process which takes the fresh pulp,presses it,and converts the sugar
to alcohol,actually retains the vitamins such as c.
Best regards
Michael