GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   compost heaps (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/171026-compost-heaps.html)

Fred 11-02-2008 10:03 AM

compost heaps

Hello,

I've started clearing an overgrown allotment. It's mostly grass and
bramble that I have removed. Its in a heap at the moment and I'm not
sure what to do with it. What are the rules about what you can compost
and what you cannot?

I presume the grass is ok; are the brambles or are they too tick? Are
things with thick stems unsuitable for composting? What about roots?
There's quite a bit of rhubarb too. What about that?

What are the other options? Other allotment holders were having
bonfires. I wasn't sure how PC they were these days!

Nick Maclaren 11-02-2008 11:52 AM

compost heaps

In article ,
Fred writes:

| I've started clearing an overgrown allotment. It's mostly grass and
| bramble that I have removed. Its in a heap at the moment and I'm not
| sure what to do with it. What are the rules about what you can compost
| and what you cannot?

If it will rot, you can compost it. Old grey felt bowler hats, door
to door encylopaedia salesmen, whatever ....

| I presume the grass is ok; are the brambles or are they too tick? Are
| things with thick stems unsuitable for composting? What about roots?
| There's quite a bit of rhubarb too. What about that?

Woody material takes some time to break down; a couple of years
for 1/2"+ ripened tree/shrub branches; brambles and most roots aren't
much of a problem, but the thorns of the former will last for over a
year. Using a shredder will speed up the decomposition of woody
material.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Fred 11-02-2008 04:17 PM

compost heaps

On 11 Feb 2008 11:52:23 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

Using a shredder will speed up the decomposition of woody
material.

Thanks but since it's an allotment there's no power supply. I don't
think you can get a petrol shredder for less than £900!

'Mike' 11-02-2008 04:22 PM

compost heaps

"Fred" wrote in message
On 11 Feb 2008 11:52:23 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

Using a shredder will speed up the decomposition of woody
material.

Thanks but since it's an allotment there's no power supply. I don't
think you can get a petrol shredder for less than £900!

Battery Powered Hedge Trimmer. ..... HONEST :-)

Put your compost into the bin and 'slice through it' with the hedge trimmer.
Two or three sweeps and it reduces the stuff you have just put in down to a
more sensible material.

Been there, done that, got the compost :-))

Mike

After a lot of trouble www.nsrafa.org is now up and running for the National
Service RAF man

Sally Thompson 11-02-2008 04:36 PM

compost heaps

On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 16:17:19 +0000, Fred wrote
(in article ):

On 11 Feb 2008 11:52:23 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

Using a shredder will speed up the decomposition of woody
material.

Thanks but since it's an allotment there's no power supply. I don't
think you can get a petrol shredder for less than £900!

You can hire one. We have done this and it was well worth while.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
http://www.freerice.com/index.php

Mogga 11-02-2008 08:38 PM

compost heaps

On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 16:36:40 +0000, Sally Thompson
wrote:

On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 16:17:19 +0000, Fred wrote
(in article ):

On 11 Feb 2008 11:52:23 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

Using a shredder will speed up the decomposition of woody
material.

Thanks but since it's an allotment there's no power supply. I don't
think you can get a petrol shredder for less than £900!

You can hire one. We have done this and it was well worth while.

Or ask at the allottment as someone might either have one or know the
cheapest hire place.
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free