Old 13-02-2008, 09:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default New Zealand gardens Options

Sacha wrote:
For his birthday present Ray is being given two tickets to NZ (and
back!) from my son and his wife. We'll probably go in January of
next year, even though his birthday is next month.
I've never been there but Ray went to NZ about 15 or so years ago but
by now there must be other, or more highly developed, gardens. Has
anyone got any particular recommendations? We won't be seeing
gardens only but obviously, those will be a major attraction for us!
We intend to drive ourselves, as and where the whim takes us but I
want to start planning with the aid of online maps, some of which
show specific driving tours. I want, also, to get him some books
appropriate to the gardens of NZ, so again, any suggestions will be
most welcome.

One other matter. If you are in any way worried about the possibility of
human induced climate change, and considering some sort of carbon offset for
your trip, you may like to give one of these a try. When my wife & I went
overseas last year we looked at carbon offset schemes but in the end bunged
some money to Tararu valley. There are obviously many worthy such ventures
around the world, we chose this one as it is indigenous, helps preserve our
native forests & bird life & the trees planted will soak up some carbon
without being disturbed. The forest is placed in a trust for perpetuity,
unable to be logged. You may want to do some british carbon offset, fair
enough. This one will simply benefit NZ. I roughly/generously calculated our
carbon usage on an online calculator and put the money into the trusts bank
account.
http://www.tararuvalley.org/helping/index.php

If not that, you may be interested in Kauri 2000. They are a trust set up to
restore tracts of our giant native Kauri trees. These are magnificent trees
which were extensively logged in the 19th century for ship masts & later on
for house building. Bugger all left unfortunately. If you go to Northland
there are some stands of them left. http://communities.co.nz/WaipouaForest
http://www.doc.govt.nz/templates/Pla....aspx?id=34423
The wood has a lovely golden glow when polished up
http://www.ancientkauri.co.nz Swamp kauri extracted from bogs several
thousands of years ago is high value stuff
http://www.kauri2000.co.nz/?page=help/donation
http://www.kauri2000.co.nz

Only a couple of suggestions mind. No obligation imposed on you.

rob