GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Allotment soil temperatures (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/171071-allotment-soil-temperatures.html)

Bertie Doe 13-02-2008 11:11 AM

Allotment soil temperatures

Chatting to neighbouring allotment holders, it seems that soil temps play a
big impact on seed germination. I believe root crops, such as carrot and
parsnip are particularly sensitive.
Are there any reference books available, which give suggested minimum sowing
temperatures? TIA.

Bertie

--
Links to some online UK coffee bean and machine suppliers:-
http://www.geocities.com/cumberpach/

Mogga 14-02-2008 05:08 PM

Allotment soil temperatures

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 11:11:12 -0000, "Bertie Doe"
wrote:

Chatting to neighbouring allotment holders, it seems that soil temps play a
big impact on seed germination. I believe root crops, such as carrot and
parsnip are particularly sensitive.
Are there any reference books available, which give suggested minimum sowing
temperatures? TIA.

Bertie

http://tomclothier.hort.net/page11.html

I have vague memories of there being a terrible story about how some
bloke claimed to measure how warm the soil was. :)
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free

Bertie Doe 14-02-2008 08:59 PM

"Mogga" wrote in message
http://tomclothier.hort.net/page11.html

I have vague memories of there being a terrible story about how some
bloke claimed to measure how warm the soil was. :)
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free

Thanks Mogga, that's just what I was looking for - saved to favourites.

Bertie