Old 13-02-2008, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Greenhouse glazing

Hello, I'm about to purchase a small greenhouse for the first time to
locate on my recently acquired allotment, I'm undecided about whether
to go for strengthened glass or polycarbonate, are there any drawbacks
to the polycarbonate option.

many thanks

Peter
Old 13-02-2008, 02:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 13 Feb, 12:51, wrote:
Hello, I'm about to purchase a small greenhouse for the first time to
locate on my recently acquired allotment, I'm undecided about whether
to go for strengthened glass or polycarbonate, are there any drawbacks
to the polycarbonate option.

many thanks

Peter

For an allotment then Polycarb every time it's much more vandle proof.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries
Old 13-02-2008, 02:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Feb 13, 1:01�pm, Dave Hill wrote:
On 13 Feb, 12:51, wrote:

Hello, I'm about to purchase a small greenhouse for the first time to
locate on my recently acquired allotment, I'm undecided about whether
to go for strengthened glass or polycarbonate, are there any drawbacks
to the polycarbonate option.

many thanks

Peter

For an allotment then Polycarb every time it's much more vandle proof.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Thanks for that, the allotments are inside a high walled garden with
locked access, and out of view, so hopefully vandelism shouldn't be a
huge issue (touches wood).
Is there any difference between the two with regard to letting in
light, build up of heat etc, the traditionalist in me says it must be
glass, but if there is no difference, I might as well go for the
slightly cheaper and safer polycarbonate.

Peter
Old 13-02-2008, 05:10 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Is there any difference between the two with regard to letting in
light, build up of heat etc, the traditionalist in me says it must be
glass, but if there is no difference, I might as well go for the
slightly cheaper and safer polycarbonate.
For a panel of the same thickness, bog-standard cheap polycarbonate lets in less light. It also lets out more heat, so it has less of a greenhouse effect. But you can buy special polycarbonates which are specially designed to let in more of the light of the most important wavelengths, though maybe then your cost-saving is gone. On the other hand, the most important effect of a greenhouse is a wind-shelter, so these differences are perhaps not so important.

But polycarbonate for greenhouses is often double-skin, which acts like double-glazing, but at a fraction of the price. This lets out much less heat than single-skin glass, so keeps things warmer. But also lets in even less of the light in the first place. So the balance of advantage depends upon how important high light intensity as opposed to maintaining warmth is for the plants you want to grow. The usual solanaceae (tomatoes, capsicums, aubergines) and curcubits would probably prefer the glass.

Finally, whatever they say, polycarbonate always gets less transparent as time goes on - UV browning, whitening from flexing.

For my own garden I intend to buy a tempered glass greenhouse, when my finances recover from the house extension. But I'd get a polytunnel for an allotment.
Old 13-02-2008, 07:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

says...
Hello, I'm about to purchase a small greenhouse for the first time to
locate on my recently acquired allotment, I'm undecided about whether
to go for strengthened glass or polycarbonate, are there any drawbacks
to the polycarbonate option.

many thanks

Peter

You can always make your own, I did once a few years ago
and plan to make another when I get time. It isn't
difficult if your primary aim is functionality and cost
effectiveness rather than cosmetic appeal. Simply construct
a frame with 3" x 2" pressure treated timber and attach
clear corrugated PVC sheets to it. Job done for a fraction
of the price. It is also much easier to fasten things to a
wooden frame such as hanging baskets, shelving and some
bubble wrap or other insulation over Winter.
--
David in Normandy.
subject line, or it will be automatically deleted.
Old 14-02-2008, 11:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Feb 13, 4:10�pm, echinosum
wrote:

Thank you for all for your excellent replies, I'm in the tourism
industry so time is pretty short from here on in to the summer, so
whilst the DIY option is a good idea, it would probably take me until
September to get finished.
The polycarb greenhouse people I've been in touch with claim their
products let in more light than glass, but they don't say anything
about the insulating qualities, however to their credit, they have
highlighted the fact that it will turn less transparent as time goes
on.

I think I'll go with the polycarb option.

Many thanks.

Peter