GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Do rats eat slugs? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/171135-do-rats-eat-slugs.html)

JakeD[_4_] 16-02-2008 09:29 AM

Do rats eat slugs?

Do rats eat slugs? (I'm starting to see rats sniffing around my veggie
patch...) If they eat slugs, I will rejoice!

TIA

JD

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 16-02-2008 11:15 AM

Do rats eat slugs?

In article ,
says...

Do rats eat slugs? (I'm starting to see rats sniffing around my veggie
patch...) If they eat slugs, I will rejoice!

TIA

JD

They certainly eat snails, especially during winter. They also eat worms
and completely stripped one of my compost heaps before I twigged! Slugs I
am not sure, I can not see why not but having watched my hedgehogs ignore
them I begin to wonder if anything eats them from choice!!
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Alan 16-02-2008 01:53 PM

Do rats eat slugs?

In message , Charlie
Pridham wrote

They certainly eat snails, especially during winter. They also eat worms
and completely stripped one of my compost heaps before I twigged! Slugs I
am not sure, I can not see why not but having watched my hedgehogs ignore
them I begin to wonder if anything eats them from choice!!

They need a touch of seasoning to make them palatable. A pinch of salt
will do.

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com

Stephen Stewart 16-02-2008 04:08 PM

Do rats eat slugs?

"JakeD" wrote in message

Do rats eat slugs? (I'm starting to see rats sniffing around my veggie
patch...) If they eat slugs, I will rejoice!

TIA

JD

Rats are renowned for being capable of eating almost anything of any vague
nutritional value so slugs are a distinct possibility.

Slugs may not be their first preference though.

Stephen

JakeD[_4_] 18-02-2008 11:43 AM

Do rats eat slugs?

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 11:15:59 -0000, Charlie Pridham
wrote:

They certainly eat snails, especially during winter. They also eat worms
and completely stripped one of my compost heaps before I twigged! Slugs I
am not sure, I can not see why not but having watched my hedgehogs ignore
them I begin to wonder if anything eats them from choice!!

Badgers eat them in Winter when other protein is scarce, according to
a nature prog on the tv last night. They even climb trees to find
them! So looks like I might be in luck.. I reckon that if badgers eat
'em, then rats probably will.. Cool! I'd never have guessed a rat
invasion would my garden's salvation...

JD

Lord0 19-02-2008 09:56 AM

Do rats eat slugs?

My cat used to eat 'em and then puke them up later on in the house.
Alas he is now dead :(

phoenix lee 08-01-2011 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JakeD[_4_] (Post 774971)
Do rats eat slugs? (I'm starting to see rats sniffing around my veggie
patch...) If they eat slugs, I will rejoice!

TIA

JD

Hey i just put a slug up to my pet rat's cage to see what she would do and she snatched it off me like it was the crackling off roast pork at christmas. i guess it was tasty then ..... its gone now!

hollierose 10-01-2011 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JakeD[_4_] (Post 774971)
Do rats eat slugs? (I'm starting to see rats sniffing around my veggie
patch...) If they eat slugs, I will rejoice!

TIA

JD

Yes they indeed eat slugs. Rats eat pretty much anything, including raw eggs!