GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   rhubarb (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/171232-rhubarb.html)

Fred 20-02-2008 11:41 AM

rhubarb

Hi,

I have inherited a few rhubarb plants on my allotment. I don't know
what variety they are; are there many different types of rhubarb?

What should I do with it? I think I heard them saying on radio4 that
it spread like I weed. Did I hear correctly? Will I have to keep my
eye on it?

Thanks

K 20-02-2008 01:50 PM

rhubarb

Fred writes
Hi,

I have inherited a few rhubarb plants on my allotment. I don't know
what variety they are; are there many different types of rhubarb?

Yes, quite a few.

What should I do with it? I think I heard them saying on radio4 that
it spread like I weed. Did I hear correctly? Will I have to keep my
eye on it?

No, it doesn't spread. You don't need to worry about that.
--
Kay

Cat(h) 20-02-2008 02:09 PM

rhubarb

On Feb 20, 1:50*pm, K wrote:
Fred writes

Hi,

I have inherited a few rhubarb plants on my allotment. I don't know
what variety they are; are there many different types of rhubarb?

Yes, quite a few.

What should I do with it? I think I heard them saying on radio4 that
it spread like I weed. Did I hear correctly? Will I have to keep my
eye on it?

No, it doesn't spread. You don't need to worry about that.
--

They don't spread, but they do grow quite big. So if all the OP has
seen of his rhubarb is their just out of winter state, he may be in

Cat(h)

Robert \(Plymouth\)[_123_] 20-02-2008 04:25 PM

rhubarb

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
On Feb 20, 1:50 pm, K wrote:
Fred writes

Hi,

I have inherited a few rhubarb plants on my allotment. I don't know
what variety they are; are there many different types of rhubarb?

Yes, quite a few.

What should I do with it? I think I heard them saying on radio4 that
it spread like I weed. Did I hear correctly? Will I have to keep my
eye on it?

No, it doesn't spread. You don't need to worry about that.
--

They don't spread, but they do grow quite big. So if all the OP has
seen of his rhubarb is their just out of winter state, he may be in
for a surprise when they start yawning and stretching :-)

Cat(h)

Been picking mine while it has those lovely deep red stems, delicious with a
nice dollop of clotted cream

--
Rowdens Reservoir Allotments Association
www.rraa.moonfruit.com

JennyC 20-02-2008 04:53 PM

rhubarb

"Fred" wrote in message
Hi,

I have inherited a few rhubarb plants on my allotment. I don't know
what variety they are; are there many different types of rhubarb?

What should I do with it? I think I heard them saying on radio4 that
it spread like I weed. Did I hear correctly? Will I have to keep my
eye on it?

Thanks

ALL you could possibly ever want to know about it - including recipes :~)
http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/
Jenny

Cat(h) 20-02-2008 05:16 PM

rhubarb

On Feb 20, 4:25*pm, "Robert \(Plymouth\)"
wrote:
"Cat(h)" wrote in message

On Feb 20, 1:50 pm, K wrote:

Fred writes

Hi,

I have inherited a few rhubarb plants on my allotment. I don't know
what variety they are; are there many different types of rhubarb?

Yes, quite a few.

What should I do with it? I think I heard them saying on radio4 that
it spread like I weed. Did I hear correctly? Will I have to keep my
eye on it?

No, it doesn't spread. You don't need to worry about that.
--

They don't spread, but they do grow quite big. *So if all the OP has
seen of his rhubarb is their just out of winter state, he may be in
for a surprise when they start yawning and stretching :-)

Cat(h)

Been picking mine while it has those lovely deep red stems, delicious with a
nice dollop of clotted cream

OK, you have me drooling now.
Cat(h)

Stewart Robert Hinsley 20-02-2008 07:06 PM

rhubarb

In message , Fred
writes
Hi,

I have inherited a few rhubarb plants on my allotment. I don't know
what variety they are; are there many different types of rhubarb?

Over 50.

What should I do with it? I think I heard them saying on radio4 that
it spread like I weed. Did I hear correctly? Will I have to keep my
eye on it?

Thanks

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Baal 20-02-2008 08:53 PM

rhubarb

I am one who had 3 rhubarb plants on his allotment and they all came to
nothing!!! My fault probably.

Jenny, I have bookmarked you wonderful site and will make my way through it!
Amazing resource - thank you!

--

Baal

I smile and go off waving
(Amiably) - for that's my way
http://www.helden.org.uk

Eric_gardenfork.tv 21-02-2008 02:19 AM

rhubarb

Hi All,

I've made a few videos about Rhubarb for my
web video show Gardenfork,

you can watch them he http://tinyurl.com/2ha4z8

or on iTunes he http://tinyurl.com/yo98ll

thanks, eric

www.gardenfork.tv

JennyC 22-02-2008 08:40 PM

rhubarb

"Baal" wrote in message
.. .
I am one who had 3 rhubarb plants on his allotment and they all came to
nothing!!! My fault probably.

Jenny, I have bookmarked you wonderful site and will make my way through
it! Amazing resource - thank you!

Baal

I remember finding it years and years ago...... and thinking "goodness, a
whole site on just rhubarb" :~))
All that's missing is the custard :~)
Jenny

nicksey 23-02-2008 09:21 PM

Hi All,

On this rhubarb topic, i have a rhubarb that I planted in a large container about 2 years ago, it has never produced anything other than thin strappy stems, is this because its in a container or do i just have a poor plant

Thanks for any advice

Contract Mobile Phones - Compare all mobile phones and tariffs, updated daily, over 50,000 searchable deals http://www.what-mobile-phone.co.uk

Stewart Robert Hinsley 23-02-2008 09:42 PM

rhubarb

In message , nicksey
writes

Hi All,

On this rhubarb topic, i have a rhubarb that I planted in a large
container about 2 years ago, it has never produced anything other than
thin strappy stems, is this because its in a container or do i just
have a poor plant

Thanks for any advice

If I understand correctly, rhubarb has a reputation for being a hungry
(and thirsty) plant, so it's quite possible that it wouldn't be happy in
a container, unless appropriately cosseted.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

David in Normandy[_7_] 24-02-2008 10:11 AM

rhubarb

Stewart Robert Hinsley says...
In message , nicksey
writes

Hi All,

On this rhubarb topic, i have a rhubarb that I planted in a large
container about 2 years ago, it has never produced anything other than
thin strappy stems, is this because its in a container or do i just
have a poor plant

Thanks for any advice

If I understand correctly, rhubarb has a reputation for being a hungry
(and thirsty) plant, so it's quite possible that it wouldn't be happy in
a container, unless appropriately cosseted.

I grew one successfully in a large container (a builders
tub with suitable holes and drainage added) for a few years
- it had lots of feed and cosseting though.
--
David in Normandy.
subject line, or it will be automatically deleted.