Old 20-02-2008, 09:51 PM
Registered User

Default soaking tree roots

i'm planting a small apple and a small tree pear tree tomorrow. ive read that soaking the roots in a bucket of water overnight is advisable. is this true? i thought roots weren't meant to sit in water!

thanks all

danny
Old 20-02-2008, 11:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
danny22

I'm really not sure but it could be right because new trees need lots
of water.
Old 20-02-2008, 11:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/2/08 20:51, in article , "danny22"
wrote:

i'm planting a small apple and a small tree pear tree tomorrow. ive read
that soaking the roots in a bucket of water overnight is advisable. is
this true? i thought roots weren't meant to sit in water!

Are you posting from North America? If so, any advice you get here will not
necessarily be helpful to someone there.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 21-02-2008, 02:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Feb 20, 3:51*pm, danny22
wrote:
i'm planting a small apple and a small tree pear tree tomorrow. ive read
that soaking the roots in a bucket of water overnight is advisable. *is
this true? i thought roots weren't meant to sit in water!

thanks all

danny

--
danny22

This website has been very useful. Thanx

Old 21-02-2008, 08:51 AM
Registered User

no, im from north england lol
Old 21-02-2008, 10:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Generally I do not soak fruit tree roots for more than an hour, the
Malling roots certainly do notlike prolonged wet. When I soak the
roots I use a propiatory soloution of seaweed extract (the original
Maxicrop in the brown bottle for those in the UK) for an hour. I will
also water some of the tree in with this solution. I know that the
tree is dormant, but some how it seems to help. When watering the
dormant tree is does not need puddling in as you might for a growing
plant.
Regards
Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire
working my way through grafting 400 apple trees
Old 21-02-2008, 10:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/2/08 07:51, in article , "danny22"
wrote:

no, im from north england lol

I don't know where I got USA from, then!

Old 21-02-2008, 12:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"danny22" wrote in message

i'm planting a small apple and a small tree pear tree tomorrow. ive read
that soaking the roots in a bucket of water overnight is advisable. is
this true? i thought roots weren't meant to sit in water!

thanks all

danny

If they are bare rooted they usually suggest about an hour soaking before
planting.

Old 21-02-2008, 09:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Anne Jackson wrote:
The message from danny22 contains
these words:

i'm planting a small apple and a small tree pear tree tomorrow.
ive read that soaking the roots in a bucket of water overnight
is advisable. is this true? i thought roots weren't meant
to sit in water!

This might be a silly question, but is there another apple tree
nearby, to act as a cross-pollinator?

If not, you probably won't get any fruit on your apple tree.

Trust you to bring sex into it
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 21-02-2008, 11:43 PM
Registered User

my whole village used to be an orchard, so pretty much every garden has fruit trees. walk for two mins and ull see twenty apple trees and twenty pear trees. and some plum trees. and citrus in the summer lol. i think im starting a trend with a self-pollenating sweet cherry tree i just bought though

anyone know how much i should water them? i have got them sorted in big pots (as i cant currently plant them in the ground and wont be able to for a year or so) and i have watered them, but I haven't seen water run through the bottom of the pot. is this about right for water volume? any suggestions on feeding them, and when? they are both still pretty dormant - pear is bare but the apple has half a dozen buds, a couple of them just newly opening.

thanks all!!!
Old 22-02-2008, 12:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Feb 21, 8:53*pm, "Pete C" wrote:
Anne Jackson wrote:
The message from danny22 contains
these words:

i'm planting a small apple and a small tree pear tree tomorrow.
ive read that soaking the roots in a bucket of water overnight
is advisable. *is this true? i thought roots weren't meant
to sit in water!

This might be a silly question, but is there another apple tree
nearby, to act as a cross-pollinator?

If not, you probably won't get any fruit on your apple tree.

Trust you to bring sex into it
--
Pete C
London UK

Wot? Our Annie? She is the most respectale woman we know, yes???

Judith
Old 27-02-2008, 08:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Feb 22, 12:00*am, Anne Jackson wrote:
The message from Judith in France contains
these words:

On Feb 21, 8:53*pm, "Pete C" wrote:
Anne Jackson wrote:
The message from danny22 contains
these words:

i'm planting a small apple and a small tree pear tree tomorrow.
ive read that soaking the roots in a bucket of water overnight
is advisable. *is this true? i thought roots weren't meant
to sit in water!

This might be a silly question, but is there another apple tree
nearby, to act as a cross-pollinator?

If not, you probably won't get any fruit on your apple tree.

Trust you to bring sex into it

Wot? *Our Annie? *She is the most respectable woman we know, yes???

struts *That's me! *Captain of industry, I am... *;-)
(but I _do_ still have my moments!)

--
AnneJ

www.freedomcollars.co.ukwww.copperridge.co.uk- Hide quoted text -

lol, rock on Annie!

Judith

Do soaker hoses stop soaking after a while? Don Wiss Gardening 1 20-04-2010 05:40 PM
soaking rains, counting bean blossoms, visiting winged dignitaries [email protected] Gardening 0 10-07-2008 11:54 PM
bleach treatment for soaking plants to remove snails, how long? .D.E. Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 24-03-2007 07:07 PM
Soaking seeds Rupert United Kingdom 10 29-11-2005 01:21 AM
soaking seeds...positive results DigitalVinyl Gardening 4 20-05-2003 06:32 PM