Old 22-02-2008, 06:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Soil Acidity

Having just tested my allotment soil, it was coming out at a ph of
about 8+, however I didn't have distilled water to hand so possibly
the local water skewed the true reading, is this likely, the water on
it's own was fairly alkaline?.
Anyhow, should it be required, what do you add to the soil to make it
more acidic?

Many thanks

Peter
Old 23-02-2008, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Feb 23, 9:52�am, Charlie Pridham
wrote:
In article dd1cac64-ff77-4a69-aa26-
,
says... Having just tested my allotment soil, it was coming out at a ph of
about 8+, however I didn't have distilled water to hand so possibly
the local water skewed the true reading, is this likely, the water on
it's own was fairly alkaline?.
Anyhow, should it be required, what do you add to the soil to make it
more acidic?

Many thanks

Peter

Yes the water has a big effect, and I thought for Veggies that alkaline
soil was better? anyway you can alter soil to make it more alkaline (add
lime) but it is next to impossible to go the other way. although lots of
organic matter may make it slightly more acid
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwallwww.roselandhouse.co.uk
Lapageria rosea

I think some veg, namely potatoes, prefer a more acidic soil, but I'm
not concerned, I'll be planting a wide variety of veg and see what
happens. I was curious as much as anything, mainly because the few
books I have, don't say anything at all about how to make the soil
more acidic, the replies here explain why.

Many thanks

Peter
Old 23-02-2008, 07:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

the two suggestions I was given, alkali sandy soil, were loads of
manure, or potassium sulphate, the sulphate will hang about in another
salt while the potassium leeches away.
Old 24-02-2008, 03:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
Steve Wolstenholme wrote:

Having just tested my allotment soil, it was coming out at a ph of
about 8+, however I didn't have distilled water to hand so possibly
the local water skewed the true reading, is this likely, the water on
it's own was fairly alkaline?.
Anyhow, should it be required, what do you add to the soil to make it
more acidic?

You can make soil more acid with an annual dose of Sequestrine of
Iron.

Iron sequestrene has no effect on soil acidity. It is simply a soluble
form of iron which can be taken up by plants in less than ideal (ie
alkaline) conditions. See the link in Stuart Noble's post for things
which can acidify soil.

This situation has recently been covered in the TV show 'Gardening
Australia'. The specific situation was that very alkaline water was causing
problems in a garden. The show had previously visited the garden and the
roses were getting scorched leaf margins as a direct result of the
alkalinity. Water used on the garden came from a bore and had a pH of 8.5.
Apparently spreading Sulphur in all areas of the garden fixed the problem
(this is a big garden).
http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s2169781.htm

Old 24-02-2008, 08:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Feb 24, 10:59*am, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 10:53:07 -0800 (PST), misterroy

wrote:

the two suggestions I was given, alkali sandy soil, were loads of
manure, or potassium sulphate, the sulphate will hang about in another
salt while the potassium leeches away.

The manure I can understand, but it's effect would be slow and it
would require prolonged application.

But I'm struggling to see why potassium sulphate should have any
effect at all even on neutral soils, let alone chalky ones where you'd
need to add so much potassium sulphate that the soil would be unfit
for cultivation, even assuming it was capable of working as you say.
But I'm sceptical about the chemistry of your explanation.

I suppose the proof of the pudding is in the eating. Did you try
either suggestion, and if so, what happened?

--

Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall overlooking the sea.
Mild, but very exposed to salt gales

Hi, I have tried neither yet, only discovered my alkalinity a month
ago, I am going the manure root though. I'm on a sandy soil with large
amount of shells in it so my calcium content is a bit more limited
than a chalk soil.

Fireplace ashes and soil acidity Brian Braun Edible Gardening 1 05-12-2003 11:32 PM
Soil Acidity Tristan Australia 3 20-10-2003 07:32 PM
tomato acidity Noydb Edible Gardening 2 30-08-2003 11:42 PM
acidity and availability of nutrients Tanya Plant Science 4 18-02-2003 05:25 AM
calcium and acidity question Tanya Gardening 6 12-02-2003 01:25 AM