GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Solar Greenhouse Heaters (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/171318-solar-greenhouse-heaters.html)

GemBio 23-02-2008 08:43 PM

Solar Greenhouse Heaters

Does such a thing exist? I've seen one site listing them, but not
instock. I suppose you could make one somehow.

My friend is not keen to use parafin as we do, but has no electricity
that far along the garden.

--
Gemini Bioscapes
Plants & more on Ebay

Tom 23-02-2008 09:04 PM

Solar Greenhouse Heaters

GemBio wrote:
Does such a thing exist? I've seen one site listing them, but not
instock. I suppose you could make one somehow.

If you add thermal mass (usually water) to the north side of your
greenhouse, this will absorb heat during the day and release it at night.
Google "solar greenhouse" for more details.

Tom

GemBio 23-02-2008 11:07 PM

Solar Greenhouse Heaters

Tom, I'm well aware of thermal mass heating. However I can't see my
friend having that setup in the garden. Could be an idea for something
else tho. Thanks:)

JW

Mogga 23-02-2008 11:51 PM

Solar Greenhouse Heaters

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 22:07:50 +0000,
(GemBio) wrote:

Tom, I'm well aware of thermal mass heating. However I can't see my
friend having that setup in the garden. Could be an idea for something
else tho. Thanks:)

Didn't the chap with the twirly tache in devon have a solar sink in
his greenhouse? remember seeing one somewhere on TV anyway...

JW

Tom wrote:

GemBio wrote:
Does such a thing exist? I've seen one site listing them, but not
instock. I suppose you could make one somehow.

If you add thermal mass (usually water) to the north side of your
greenhouse, this will absorb heat during the day and release it at night.
Google "solar greenhouse" for more details.

Tom

http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free

JennyC 24-02-2008 08:40 AM

Solar Greenhouse Heaters

(GemBio) wrote:

Tom, I'm well aware of thermal mass heating. However I can't see my
friend having that setup in the garden. Could be an idea for something
else tho. Thanks:)

Didn't the chap with the twirly tache in devon have a solar sink in
his greenhouse? remember seeing one somewhere on TV anyway...
JW

Not from the moustache bloke, but
http://www.hobby-greenhouse.com/FreeSolar.html
Jenny

Tom 24-02-2008 09:28 AM

Solar Greenhouse Heaters

Mogga wrote:

Didn't the chap with the twirly tache in devon have a solar sink in
his greenhouse? remember seeing one somewhere on TV anyway...

Dick Strawbridge? Yes he made a solar sump/sink filled with broken glass
and blew hot air down through it IIRC.

Tom

Mogga 24-02-2008 10:31 AM

Solar Greenhouse Heaters

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 08:28:13 -0000, "Tom" wrote:

Mogga wrote:

Didn't the chap with the twirly tache in devon have a solar sink in
his greenhouse? remember seeing one somewhere on TV anyway...

Dick Strawbridge? Yes he made a solar sump/sink filled with broken glass
and blew hot air down through it IIRC.

Tom

That's the chap. They have a forum on their site
http://www.itsnoteasybeinggreen.org/...forum.php?f=24

Granity 24-02-2008 02:01 PM

Square black water containers under the staging (the larger the better) should act as a good thermal heating mass, but of course only effective when the sun shines, so on the days when it's dull and miserable and then clears for the night it may not be effective just when you need it.