Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old 23-02-2008, 08:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Oct 2006
Posts: 13
Default Solar Greenhouse Heaters

Does such a thing exist? I've seen one site listing them, but not
instock. I suppose you could make one somehow.

My friend is not keen to use parafin as we do, but has no electricity
that far along the garden.

--
Gemini Bioscapes
Plants & more on Ebay
http://tinyurl.com/hi6g

  #2   Report Post  
Old 23-02-2008, 09:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tom Tom is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jan 2008
Posts: 27
Default Solar Greenhouse Heaters

GemBio wrote:
Does such a thing exist? I've seen one site listing them, but not
instock. I suppose you could make one somehow.


If you add thermal mass (usually water) to the north side of your
greenhouse, this will absorb heat during the day and release it at night.
Google "solar greenhouse" for more details.

Tom


  #3   Report Post  
Old 23-02-2008, 11:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Oct 2006
Posts: 13
Default Solar Greenhouse Heaters

Tom, I'm well aware of thermal mass heating. However I can't see my
friend having that setup in the garden. Could be an idea for something
else tho. Thanks

JW

Tom wrote:

GemBio wrote:
Does such a thing exist? I've seen one site listing them, but not
instock. I suppose you could make one somehow.


If you add thermal mass (usually water) to the north side of your
greenhouse, this will absorb heat during the day and release it at night.
Google "solar greenhouse" for more details.

Tom



--
Gemini Bioscapes
Plants & more on Ebay
http://tinyurl.com/hi6g
  #5   Report Post  
Old 24-02-2008, 08:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Aug 2006
Posts: 797
Default Solar Greenhouse Heaters

Tom wrote:
GemBio wrote:
Does such a thing exist? I've seen one site listing them, but not
instock. I suppose you could make one somehow.


If you add thermal mass (usually water) to the north side of your
greenhouse, this will absorb heat during the day and release it at
night.
Google "solar greenhouse" for more details.
Tom


"Mogga" wrote in message
...
On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 22:07:50 +0000,
(GemBio) wrote:

Tom, I'm well aware of thermal mass heating. However I can't see my
friend having that setup in the garden. Could be an idea for something
else tho. Thanks


Didn't the chap with the twirly tache in devon have a solar sink in
his greenhouse? remember seeing one somewhere on TV anyway...
JW


Not from the moustache bloke, but
http://www.hobby-greenhouse.com/FreeSolar.html
Jenny




  #6   Report Post  
Old 24-02-2008, 09:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tom Tom is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jan 2008
Posts: 27
Default Solar Greenhouse Heaters

Mogga wrote:

Didn't the chap with the twirly tache in devon have a solar sink in
his greenhouse? remember seeing one somewhere on TV anyway...



Dick Strawbridge? Yes he made a solar sump/sink filled with broken glass
and blew hot air down through it IIRC.

Tom


  #7   Report Post  
Old 24-02-2008, 10:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Sep 2006
Posts: 101
Default Solar Greenhouse Heaters

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 08:28:13 -0000, "Tom" wrote:

Mogga wrote:

Didn't the chap with the twirly tache in devon have a solar sink in
his greenhouse? remember seeing one somewhere on TV anyway...



Dick Strawbridge? Yes he made a solar sump/sink filled with broken glass
and blew hot air down through it IIRC.

Tom


That's the chap. They have a forum on their site
http://www.itsnoteasybeinggreen.org/...forum.php?f=24
--
http://www.orderonlinepickupinstore.co.uk
Ah fetch it yourself if you can't wait for delivery
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free
  #8   Report Post  
Old 24-02-2008, 02:01 PM
Registered User
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jul 2006
Location: Bedfordshire
Posts: 444
Default

Square black water containers under the staging (the larger the better) should act as a good thermal heating mass, but of course only effective when the sun shines, so on the days when it's dull and miserable and then clears for the night it may not be effective just when you need it.


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Greenhouse Heaters - Gas or Electric - Which is best? Redrose United Kingdom 23 16-12-2011 10:24 AM
Greenhouse Heaters using Central Heating Oil Bookworm United Kingdom 6 01-09-2011 02:15 AM
confused about greenhouse heaters Easynews United Kingdom 8 05-09-2006 05:51 PM
bottled gas greenhouse heaters? keith ;-\) United Kingdom 5 14-02-2005 07:45 PM
Electric greenhouse heaters Troy United Kingdom 16 10-12-2003 11:49 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:08 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2017 GardenBanter.co.uk.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Gardening"

 

Copyright © 2017