Old 27-02-2008, 01:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Gardens and moving house

I would appreciate some thoughts on this subject. Our property is mainly
planted up with mature trees and shrubs. I like it that way, friends have
commented on the lack of flowers and bedding stuff, my answer is that there
is always something happening out there and the wildlife love it. We will be
putting the house on the market later in the year and I wonder if I should
do anything to alter the garden, what do people look for and should I tell
peeps that our old pet dog is buried in a shady corner.

kate

Old 27-02-2008, 01:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/2/08 12:35, in article , "Kate
Morgan" wrote:

I would appreciate some thoughts on this subject. Our property is mainly
planted up with mature trees and shrubs. I like it that way, friends have
commented on the lack of flowers and bedding stuff, my answer is that there
is always something happening out there and the wildlife love it. We will be
putting the house on the market later in the year and I wonder if I should
do anything to alter the garden, what do people look for and should I tell
peeps that our old pet dog is buried in a shady corner.

kate

Yes about the dog, just in case someone has a terrible shock. It's not a
nice thought but I think it's considerate of you to think of it. As to the
colour, just put some pots or tubs around and then make it clear they'll be
going with you. See what you can find that look nice - real terracotta is
never a taste blunder - and plant them up with things that will be colourful
later - lilies and other summer flowering bulbs, Dahlias etc, perhaps?
Mention the wonderful wildlife, don't draw attention to lack of bedding. If
the garden looks tidy with the lawn cut and the edges 'done', that's what
will be seen most obviously. Lots of people don't want or like bedding
anyway. It's too brash for some and a nuisance to have to keep buying it,
putting it in and taking it out to replace with something else etc.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 27-02-2008, 02:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
I would appreciate some thoughts on this subject. Our property is mainly
planted up with mature trees and shrubs. I like it that way, friends have
commented on the lack of flowers and bedding stuff, my answer is that there
is always something happening out there and the wildlife love it. We will
be putting the house on the market later in the year and I wonder if I
should do anything to alter the garden, what do people look for and should
I tell peeps that our old pet dog is buried in a shady corner.

kate

""I like it that way""

The next people in might rip the whole lot out and turn it into a children's
football pitch. Happened to our neighbours house.

One the other hand, our garden was a kids playground, they had 6 children,
it is now landscaped and has been open to the public.

As long as it is neat and tidy that's all you need.

Your dog? How deep? Are they likely to find him/her with normal trimming up
etc? If there is any chance then yes you need to tell them.

Mike

Old 27-02-2008, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

'Mike' wrote:
[...]

Or, of course, you could dig the remains up and take it with you.
Old 27-02-2008, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
I would appreciate some thoughts on this subject. Our property is mainly
planted up with mature trees and shrubs. I like it that way, friends have
commented on the lack of flowers and bedding stuff, my answer is that there
is always something happening out there and the wildlife love it. We will
be putting the house on the market later in the year and I wonder if I
should do anything to alter the garden, what do people look for and should
I tell peeps that our old pet dog is buried in a shady corner.

kate

I'd leave it as it is. One never knows what new owners will want to do. We
once sold a house with a gorgeous garden, pond, sitting areas, paths etc.
All was ripped up and put down to grass because they had small children....

We have our house on the market ATM. It was lots of difference
colours.....didn't sell. the estate agent advised us to 'get up a ladder and
paint everything magnolia' .............still hasn't sold !

Jenny

Old 27-02-2008, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JennyC" wrote in message

[...]

Jenny, someone somewhere wants your house. It's a case of waiting until they
see that your house is on the market. Been there done that got the furrows
in the brow

No way would a 'non gardener' want my house now. ""I"" would be put off
buying my house because of the state of the garden, BUT, when we opened it
to the public a couple of years ago, it had the 'Wow' factor. How do I know?
Because someone on coming round the corner seeing the layout, colour,
planting said ""WOW""

Kind regards and don't give up hope

Mike

Old 27-02-2008, 08:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message

I wonder if I should do anything to alter the garden, what do people look
for

Do nothing other than keep the style it is looking as neat/tidy as
appropriate.

and should I tell peeps that our old pet dog is buried in a shady corner.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Maybe at completion, leave tham a note!

Telling a visiting punter may put them off!

pk

Old 27-02-2008, 08:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

PK says...
"Kate Morgan" wrote in message

I wonder if I should do anything to alter the garden, what do people look
for

Do nothing other than keep the style it is looking as neat/tidy as
appropriate.

and should I tell peeps that our old pet dog is buried in a shady corner.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Maybe at completion, leave tham a note!

Telling a visiting punter may put them off!

pk

After we bought our previous house the neighbour mentioned
that the previous occupant had buried their dead cat
somewhere around where I was digging ground to make a veg
plot. Sure enough it wasn't long before a cat skull was
grinning at me. I put it in the dustbin - not sure what you
are supposed to do with pet skeletons when reclaiming every
diggable inch of a small garden. I certainly wouldn't want
to keep finding it every time I lifted potatoes!

I doubt mention of said animal would have put us off buying
the house, but it would probably put some people off.
--
David in Normandy.
subject line, or it will be automatically deleted.
Old 27-02-2008, 08:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

snip
[...]

Many thanks to all, comments very helpful.
The only one in doubt is our ex pet dog, she died about 3 years ago and
buried about 2ft, deep, maybe I plant a beautiful shrub over her and they
wont want to move it anyway . Actually the whole conversation is rather
funny cos our neighbours are funeral directors complete with chapel of rest
:-) Also we had our big horse cremated when he was put down, he is now in a
very nice box in the corner of the lounge. Our friend and farrier who is
psychic reckons that we wont plant him, the horse not the farrier, until we
settle somewhere, I`ll get me coat :-)

kate

Old 28-02-2008, 12:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/2/08 19:43, in article , "Kate
Morgan" wrote:

snip
[...]

I can't imagine what you're worrying about, Kate. Follow my husband Ray's
maxim (not true!) He says he's going to be cremated and scattered 4 oz to
the square yard and forked in lightly. ;-))
Seriously, I think you do have to warn people. Imagine the shock of digging
up bones and not knowing if they're human or not. It sounds as if you're
fairly relaxed about the whole thing and of course, you know what these
bones are. The new owners or the ones after that and etc. etc. etc. long
down the lines, won't have a clue.
In the short term, it could 'come back' on you if only because I *think*
it's now illegal to bury pets in your garden - might not have been when you
did it. I recommend that, given your connections, you unearth your dog,
have the remains cremated and either scatter them in the garden or on a
favourite walk or something of that sort.

Old 28-02-2008, 10:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 27/2/08 19:43, in article , "Kate
Morgan" wrote:

snip
[...]

Garden Burial
It is possible to bury a loved one in your garden. The law is contained in
the Burial Laws Amendment Act 1880. A person who knows the circumstances of
the death and has a lawful certificate of the cause of death must first
register a death with the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages.

It is then necessary to obtain consent from the local authority to enable
the burial to take place. A body comes within the definition of "clinical
waste" and as such cannot be disposed of except under the provisions of the
Control of Pollution Act 1974 and the Environment Protection Act 1990. A
licensed operator is usually needed but a local authority may waive the
requirement in special circumstances. Remember it is a criminal offence to
dispose of "controlled waste" otherwise than in accordance with the Acts.
Before you consider such a burial stop and THINK what you would do if you
ever decided to move!

Ashes
These can be freely scattered in the garden or buried in a container
eg.under a favourite tree.

Headstone
So long as they are not too near a highway or over a certain height,
planning permission is not needed to put up a headstone in a garden.

Pets
In general terms a pet owner can bury his pet in the garden of the domestic
property where the pet lived so long as it is not within the definition of
hazardous waste. If in doubt enquire of the local authority.

http://www.gardenlaw.co.uk/gardenburial.html

Kind regards

Mike

Old 02-03-2008, 10:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Well we have all had a think and it has been decided to do nowt, at the
moment. We will probably put a nice shrub over her then wait until someone
want`s to buy the house and decide then if we tell them or not, I expect I
will warn them but if the shrub is beautiful they wont want to move in
anyway, now then what shrub --- says she going off outside muttering :-)

Thanks to all, kate

Old 10-03-2008, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

David in Normandy writes

After we bought our previous house the neighbour mentioned
that the previous occupant had buried their dead cat
somewhere around where I was digging ground to make a veg
plot. Sure enough it wasn't long before a cat skull was
grinning at me. I put it in the dustbin - not sure what you
are supposed to do with pet skeletons when reclaiming every
diggable inch of a small garden. I certainly wouldn't want
to keep finding it every time I lifted potatoes!

I doubt mention of said animal would have put us off buying
the house, but it would probably put some people off.

Friend of ours was a zoologist who used to bury dead animals in order to
clean the skeleton. While trying to sell a house he was frantically
digging a border to retrieve a skeleton that he *knew* he'd buried
there, but could find no trace. This might have been understandable had
it been a mouse - but it was a Great Dane ;-)

As to what people look for in gardens - as a general rule, gardeners
know what's what. They'll keep what they want and know what's involved
in changing the rest - no window dressing possible. Just listen
carefully, and if they turn out to have gardening tendencies, draw their
attention to all the treasures.

Non-gardeners want the garden to be 'easily maintained' - so as others
have suggested, concentrate on keeping it looking tidy, trim grass edges
and bushes, get rid of obvious weeds like dandelions and nettles, make
everything look effortlesslessly tidy rather than running out of
control.
--
Kay
Old 11-03-2008, 01:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
David in Normandy writes

[...]

when moving here and starting to garden we were alarmed by the amount of
large animal bones in the garden, whole animals, cows, horses, sheep. we
found out a vet had lived here during the war and we assumed he was
hiding his mistakes! however we subsequently met his son who claimed his
dad was following local advice for fertilizing the ground!
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 13-03-2008, 12:12 AM
Registered User

Friend bought a house and was told dogs were both buried under nice shrub ( philadelphus I think) She said it was good to know as they just avoided doing any digging in that part of the garden. Eventually added a bench and few bulbs etc.
Was only told at point of signing etc.