GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Home made cloches for raised beds. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/171443-home-made-cloches-raised-beds.html)

Trevor 28-02-2008 03:21 PM

Home made cloches for raised beds.

Looking to make improvised cloches using fleece or mesh for carrots and
brassicas. I have found steel rods for 83p per m for 12mm and found 15mm
plastic pipe at builders merchant (may be a bit slack). Has anyone done it
this way, perhaps with alkathene? I was thinking of 36 inch rods 18 inches
in the ground. Beds are 5 ft across.

Would be interested to here of any success - dimensions, costs etc

Trevor
East Yorkshire

JennyC 29-02-2008 05:49 AM

Home made cloches for raised beds.

"Trevor" wrote in message
. com...
Looking to make improvised cloches using fleece or mesh for carrots and
brassicas. I have found steel rods for 83p per m for 12mm and found 15mm
plastic pipe at builders merchant (may be a bit slack). Has anyone done it
this way, perhaps with alkathene? I was thinking of 36 inch rods 18
inches in the ground. Beds are 5 ft across.

Would be interested to here of any success - dimensions, costs etc

Trevor
East Yorkshire

I can't offer you personal experience Trevor, but you see them often in
magazines, on TV etc...:

Google has loads of info:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...ic+pipe+-clock
Jenny

George.com 29-02-2008 09:27 AM

Home made cloches for raised beds.

"Trevor" wrote in message
. com...
Looking to make improvised cloches using fleece or mesh for carrots and
brassicas. I have found steel rods for 83p per m for 12mm and found 15mm
plastic pipe at builders merchant (may be a bit slack). Has anyone done it
this way, perhaps with alkathene? I was thinking of 36 inch rods 18
inches in the ground. Beds are 5 ft across.

Would be interested to here of any success - dimensions, costs etc

Trevor
East Yorkshire

I made one of these.
http://www.eartheasy.com/cloche.htm

I cut some corners & simply nailed together 4 pieces of old 2x4, drilled
holes both sides of the frame for old water plastic water pipe & warpped
some old plastic packing sheet across the top. Cost me about $8 I reckon. I
found these types of tool clips are very good for securing the plastic sheet
to the water pipe.
http://www.springmasters.com/sp/spring-clips-open.html
http://www.springmasters.com/sp/spring-clips-super.html
http://www.springmasters.com/sp/spri...ps-closed.html

Donna \(UK\) 29-02-2008 12:45 PM

Home made cloches for raised beds.

I have just brought a pack of build-a-balls and some bamboo canes. So far
cost me £15 for 12 build-a-balls and £2.80 for the canes. Already got some
material to cover it that I brought last year...

. com...

Eric_gardenfork.tv 29-02-2008 03:33 PM

Home made cloches for raised beds.

i made a rather large cloche, or plastic cold frame for my garden last
year. and of course, I made a video about it, which you can watch
here : http://tinyurl.com/3333ah or visit http://thegreenhouse.gardenfork.tv

thanks, eric. www.gardenfork.tv