GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Planting of bulbs (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/171654-planting-bulbs.html)

rabc 08-03-2008 02:05 PM

Planting of bulbs

After removing the lawn and replacing it with a lining then gravel would it be ok to plant bulbs below the lining, would the gravel hinder them coming through, the bulbs in question are...SPARAXIS,RANUNCULUS,ANEMONES and IXIAS.........cheers

Pete C[_2_] 08-03-2008 05:18 PM

Planting of bulbs

rabc wrote:
After removing the lawn and replacing it with a lining then gravel
would it be ok to plant bulbs below the lining, would the gravel
hinder them coming through, the bulbs in question
are...SPARAXIS,RANUNCULUS,ANEMONES and IXIAS.........cheers

The gravel won't stop them at all. Plant away :)
--
Pete C
London UK

Sacha[_3_] 08-03-2008 05:23 PM

Planting of bulbs

On 8/3/08 17:18, in article , "Pete C"
wrote:

rabc wrote:
After removing the lawn and replacing it with a lining then gravel
would it be ok to plant bulbs below the lining, would the gravel
hinder them coming through, the bulbs in question
are...SPARAXIS,RANUNCULUS,ANEMONES and IXIAS.........cheers

The gravel won't stop them at all. Plant away :)

Will the offshoots from the bulbs break through the lining where there are
no holes - as in daffodils and crocus which spread and naturalise? I've
never tried this.
Gravel won't hinder the bulbs but I'm not sure about Mypex. It is, after
all, a weed suppressing membrane! Weeds will certainly grow in the gravel
but be easy to pull out.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Judith in France 08-03-2008 05:24 PM

Planting of bulbs

On Mar 8, 5:18 pm, "Pete C" wrote:
rabc wrote:
After removing the lawn and replacing it with a lining then gravel
would it be ok to plant bulbs below the lining, would the gravel
hinder them coming through, the bulbs in question
are...SPARAXIS,RANUNCULUS,ANEMONES and IXIAS.........cheers

The gravel won't stop them at all. Plant away :)
--
Pete C
London UK

No, but the lining might Pete!

Judith

Dave H 09-03-2008 06:35 AM

Planting of bulbs

wrote:

rabc wrote:
After removing the lawn and replacing it with a lining then gravel
would it be ok to plant bulbs below the lining, would the gravel
hinder them coming through, the bulbs in question
are...SPARAXIS,RANUNCULUS,ANEMONES and IXIAS.........cheers

The gravel won't stop them at all. Plant away :)

Will the offshoots from the bulbs break through the lining where there are
no holes - as in daffodils and crocus which spread and naturalise? I've
never tried this.
Gravel won't hinder the bulbs but I'm not sure about Mypex. It is, after
all, a weed suppressing membrane! Weeds will certainly grow in the gravel
but be easy to pull out.

....and the cats will be pleased with a new public toilet

Aitch

Pete C[_2_] 09-03-2008 07:21 AM

Planting of bulbs

Judith in France wrote:
On Mar 8, 5:18 pm, "Pete C" wrote:
rabc wrote:
After removing the lawn and replacing it with a lining then gravel
would it be ok to plant bulbs below the lining, would the gravel
hinder them coming through, the bulbs in question
are...SPARAXIS,RANUNCULUS,ANEMONES and IXIAS.........cheers

The gravel won't stop them at all. Plant away :)
--
Pete C
London UK

No, but the lining might Pete!

Judith

Erm.........I assumed bulbs planted through holes in lining, not wishing to
insult the OP's intelligence :)
--
Pete C
London UK

Sacha[_3_] 09-03-2008 09:22 AM

Planting of bulbs

On 9/3/08 07:21, in article , "Pete C"
wrote:

Judith in France wrote:
On Mar 8, 5:18 pm, "Pete C" wrote:
rabc wrote:
After removing the lawn and replacing it with a lining then gravel
would it be ok to plant bulbs below the lining, would the gravel
hinder them coming through, the bulbs in question
are...SPARAXIS,RANUNCULUS,ANEMONES and IXIAS.........cheers

The gravel won't stop them at all. Plant away :)
--
Pete C
London UK

No, but the lining might Pete!

Judith

Erm.........I assumed bulbs planted through holes in lining, not wishing to
insult the OP's intelligence :)

Yes but what happens when the bulbs create offsets? You know how e.g.
Daffodils and bluebells spread and naturalise themselves? They might not be
able to all crowd through the original hole!

Pete C[_2_] 12-03-2008 06:52 PM

Planting of bulbs

Sacha wrote:
On 9/3/08 07:21, in article , "Pete
C" wrote:

Judith in France wrote:
On Mar 8, 5:18 pm, "Pete C" wrote:
rabc wrote:
After removing the lawn and replacing it with a lining then gravel
would it be ok to plant bulbs below the lining, would the gravel
hinder them coming through, the bulbs in question
are...SPARAXIS,RANUNCULUS,ANEMONES and IXIAS.........cheers

The gravel won't stop them at all. Plant away :)
--
Pete C
London UK

No, but the lining might Pete!

Judith

Erm.........I assumed bulbs planted through holes in lining, not
wishing to insult the OP's intelligence :)

Yes but what happens when the bulbs create offsets? You know how e.g.
Daffodils and bluebells spread and naturalise themselves? They might
not be able to all crowd through the original hole!

Good point. However, I have been trying to get rid of bluebells for 2 years
now. Still got them coming up under stone slabs, working sideways till they
find a way out.
--
Pete C
London UK