GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   vertical gardening (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/171656-vertical-gardening.html)

Mike.....[_2_] 08-03-2008 12:20 PM

vertical gardening

I saw one of these in Santa Cruz de Tenerife, didnt know what it was
at the time but its in the FT today:-

"http://www.verticalgardenpatrickblanc.com"

look in the "walls" section, the Madrid one is impressive, they have a
gutter at the bottom and a water feed at the top, light enough for
normal walls. If my house wasn't terraced......
--
Mike
Remove clothing to email

Bob Hobden 08-03-2008 06:33 PM

vertical gardening

"Mike....." wrote ...
I saw one of these in Santa Cruz de Tenerife, didnt know what it was
at the time but its in the FT today:-

"http://www.verticalgardenpatrickblanc.com"

look in the "walls" section, the Madrid one is impressive, they have a
gutter at the bottom and a water feed at the top, light enough for
normal walls. If my house wasn't terraced......

Yes, I read about them some years ago. Like green roofs it might catch on in
the UK eventually. I'm thinking it might be a good way to grow plants on the
walls of a leanto greenhouse to make more plant space. :-)
Wonder what backing he uses, filter type foam perhaps....

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

JennyC 09-03-2008 08:16 AM

vertical gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Mike....." wrote ...
I saw one of these in Santa Cruz de Tenerife, didnt know what it was
at the time but its in the FT today:-

"http://www.verticalgardenpatrickblanc.com"

look in the "walls" section, the Madrid one is impressive, they have a
gutter at the bottom and a water feed at the top, light enough for
normal walls. If my house wasn't terraced......

Yes, I read about them some years ago. Like green roofs it might catch on
in the UK eventually. I'm thinking it might be a good way to grow plants
on the walls of a leanto greenhouse to make more plant space. :-)
Wonder what backing he uses, filter type foam perhaps....

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Wikipedia says: foliage plants thrive on a soiless durable frame of metal,
PVC and non-biodegradable felt.

and I found this :
http://archrecord.construction.com/f...2dignews-1.asp

Jenny

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 09-03-2008 10:09 AM

vertical gardening

In article , says...

"Mike....." wrote ...
I saw one of these in Santa Cruz de Tenerife, didnt know what it was
at the time but its in the FT today:-

"http://www.verticalgardenpatrickblanc.com"

look in the "walls" section, the Madrid one is impressive, they have a
gutter at the bottom and a water feed at the top, light enough for
normal walls. If my house wasn't terraced......

Yes, I read about them some years ago. Like green roofs it might catch on in
the UK eventually. I'm thinking it might be a good way to grow plants on the
walls of a leanto greenhouse to make more plant space. :-)
Wonder what backing he uses, filter type foam perhaps....

I have this happening in my mist unit - unintentionally! I have some
synthetic cloth that hangs down and acts as a wick to allow surplus water
to syphon from the bed to a bucket, ferns grow on it in great profusion,
it looks great but is very heavy when removed for de-ferning from time to
time, so I would be interested in how the weight would be distributed and
supported
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Mike.....[_2_] 09-03-2008 12:54 PM

vertical gardening

Following up to Charlie Pridham wrote:

so I would be interested in how the weight would be distributed and
supported

two layers of felt above PVC sheetings on a metal framework, weight
is 30kg per square metre. Costs between €600 and €1200. book "vertical
gardens: Bringing the city to life"
--
Mike
Remove clothing to email

Mike.....[_2_] 09-03-2008 03:01 PM

vertical gardening

Following up to Mike..... wrote:

Costs between €600 and €1200.

square mere
--
Mike
Remove clothing to email

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 10-03-2008 10:36 AM

vertical gardening

In article ,
says...
Following up to Charlie Pridham wrote:

so I would be interested in how the weight would be distributed and
supported

two layers of felt above PVC sheetings on a metal framework, weight
is 30kg per square metre. Costs between ?600 and ?1200. book "vertical
gardens: Bringing the city to life"

That makes sense, so all the weight is not hanging from the top.
I think its a good idea and along with green roofs would help insect
populations in towns which in turn helps all the other wild life.

Michael Bell 10-03-2008 03:01 PM

vertical gardening

In message
Mike..... wrote:

I saw one of these in Santa Cruz de Tenerife, didnt know what it was
at the time but its in the FT today:-

"http://www.verticalgardenpatrickblanc.com"

look in the "walls" section, the Madrid one is impressive, they have a
gutter at the bottom and a water feed at the top, light enough for
normal walls. If my house wasn't terraced......

In Tallin, Estonia, they have what I can only call "flower walls".
They are about head height, and covered in flowers, presumably rooted
in pockets in the wall. They look very beautiful in summer, in
winter.. I'm glad I don't know.

Michael Bell