Old 09-03-2008, 03:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Confused by Onions and Shallots

Previously I have planted onion sets. The sets are tiny, maybe 1/2" across
and grow to big 3 - 4" dia onions. Excellent. This year my wife suggested
growing shallots as being more diffiult to find and expensive to buy so I
ordered up shallot sets and they have arrived on the mat.

Now I thought a mature shallot was a little pink onion about an inch in dia
so I am puzzled to see that my sets are well, little pink onions about an
inch in dia. Since they look like what I expected to get at the end of the
season I am not sure what the purpose of planting them is. Am I meant to
separate them like a garlic bulb? They don't obviously come apart like that.
Have I misunderstood what a shallot actually is?

Tim W

Old 09-03-2008, 03:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Tim W" wrote in message
Previously I have planted onion sets. The sets are tiny, maybe 1/2" across
and grow to big 3 - 4" dia onions. Excellent. This year my wife suggested
growing shallots as being more diffiult to find and expensive to buy so I
ordered up shallot sets and they have arrived on the mat.

Now I thought a mature shallot was a little pink onion about an inch in
dia so I am puzzled to see that my sets are well, little pink onions about
an inch in dia. Since they look like what I expected to get at the end of
the season I am not sure what the purpose of planting them is. Am I meant
to separate them like a garlic bulb? They don't obviously come apart like
that. Have I misunderstood what a shallot actually is?

Tim W

Most shallots aren't pink, nevertheless they all start about the size of
what you described and develop into 6 or more of roughly the same size or
bigger, from that one set. They prefer a spell in cool weather so I should
plant them asap

Old 10-03-2008, 12:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Robert (Plymouth)" wrote...

"Tim W" wrote in message

[...]

I'd be disappointed with only 6. Have you tried "Jermor" one of the French
Long type, excellent for cooking.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 10-03-2008, 09:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Robert (Plymouth)" wrote...

"Tim W" wrote in message

[...]

No, I shall next year though, thanks

Old 10-03-2008, 10:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 10 Mar, 08:30, "Robert \(Plymouth\)"
wrote:
"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Robert (Plymouth)" *wrote...

"Tim W" wrote in message

[...]

No, I shall next year though, thanks- Hide quoted text -

I brought 4 growing clumps back from Qatar in Jordan, they grow them
till they are around 15 to 18 inches long then pull them, split the
clumps and sell/use them like salad onions.
They are in pots in a poly tunnel at present but looking very happy.
Still time to plant Shallots this season.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries