GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Garden Centre Prices !!!! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/17182-garden-centre-prices.html)

Alan Gabriel 22-04-2003 03:44 AM

Garden Centre Prices !!!!

I grow most of my plants from seed, cuttings and division but today SWMBO
wanted to visit a Garden Centre and have a look for some new perennials for
the front garden.

I was horrified at the price of plants, they must have doubled in the two or
three years I last bothered to vist anywhere but the seed section.

There wasn`t more than two crowns in each pot so not a lot of material to
divide.

They must be the only place on earth where money grows on trees.

--
Regards,
Alan.

Preserve wildlife - Pickle a SQUIRREL to reply.

Paul Kelly 22-04-2003 08:56 AM

Garden Centre Prices !!!!

"Alan Gabriel" wrote in message
I grow most of my plants from seed, cuttings and division but today SWMBO
wanted to visit a Garden Centre and have a look for some new perennials

for
the front garden.

I was horrified at the price of plants, they must have doubled in the two

or
three years I last bothered to vist anywhere but the seed section.

There wasn`t more than two crowns in each pot so not a lot of material to
divide.

They must be the only place on earth where money grows on trees.

Actually, it is Nurseries where that happens. They take a packet of seeds
costing pennies and sell the resulting plants for pounds each! Daylight
robbery if you ask me!

pk

Natalie 22-04-2003 08:56 AM

Garden Centre Prices !!!!

Actually, it is Nurseries where that happens. They take a packet of seeds
costing pennies and sell the resulting plants for pounds each! Daylight
robbery if you ask me!

Growing plants from seed is very labour intensive - that is what you pay for
at Nurseries.

Natalie

Peter Crosland 22-04-2003 07:20 PM

Garden Centre Prices !!!!

I am reminded of an expression heard in the Midlands "Wind your neck in!"
You would be well advised to follow that advice.

Jim W 25-04-2003 06:56 AM

Garden Centre Prices !!!!

Paul Kelly wrote:

Actually, it is Nurseries where that happens. They take a packet of seeds
costing pennies and sell the resulting plants for pounds each! Daylight
robbery if you ask me!

pk

If you believe that you will believe anything!-)
//